• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Vortex Razor 1-10 or Kahles 3.5-18 scope advice for 'long range' AR shooting

tyfoon

Private
Minuteman
Aug 24, 2020
Just purchased my first Semi Automatic (takes a long time in Europe); A Daniel Defense DDM4 Pro 7 with 18" barrel. Changed the trigger to be a Geissele 2 stage. I plan to use for some more fun shooting next to my Accuracy International AXMC bolt action which use for ELR. Optics on this AXMC is a Schmidt & Bender 5-25 PMII

I'm planning to shoot mostly 100 & 200 meters with the AR and maybe some very occasional 500 meters with the AR. Not planning to do any dynamic shooting with it. Mostly prone and occasionally standing. We don't shoot on plates but on paper "points" targets trying to get my groups as small as possible.

Now I have narrowed optics choices for the AR15 down to either the Vortex Razor Gen3 1-10 OR the Kahles K318i 3.5-18. In my opinion best in their categories and roughly similar in price here in Europe (Kahles is approx 500$ more expensive)

Which of the 2 optics would you suggest I get given my situation?

Last edited:
I’m going to give the vortex 1-10 a try. I think it can cover my needs well from 0-800m easily…

i do 2 & 3 gun matches with AR shooting out to 500yds with a 1-6 vortex razor hd2 so their 1-10 should be even better with your distances. if you're not going to be doing any short/cqb distances, then you won't need to go down to 1x and the 18x will give you a better/larger target picture.

For your application (trying to get groups as small as possible) the Kahles would be the way I'd go so you can take full advantage of the parallax adjustment and higher top end.
I agree...

If your shooting from prone for the smallest possible groups, magnification is your friend.

I run my optic all the way up to 30x on my comp rifles when I'm in that scenario.

If you're shooting for fun and not training for "whatever" . I'd go low and slow with the Kahles.

Ammo is both expensive and hard to find. Low round counts are the norm in precision so..... ;)

Thanks. Seems Kahles is the 'smart' choice. But a Razor looks some damn good on an AR....

Anyway, I ordered the Kahles. As I still have a Holosun 510C red-dot lying around I also ordered a Holosun 3x magnifier so I can use that combo for 'fun'.