• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Vortex Razor 1-6 Gen 2 Non-E vs Vortex Razor 1-6 Gen 2-E

ak4seven

Private
Minuteman
Apr 3, 2021
Orange County, California
Just as the title states. Wanted to know if it's just weight cut that is the difference? Is the zoom much easier on the E version? Are big enough differences to get the newer E version?

If you mount a non E then and E on the same rifle back to back you'll notice a huge difference. Not so much in overall weight, more so in the awkward top heavy balance the non E gives you. The lighter the rifle the more obvious this is, if the gun is a tank it won't be so bad.

Weight and zoom ring smoothness I think are the only technically different/improvements. I don't think optically there is a difference.

Reactions: ak4seven
If you want something lighter weight(17ish ounces) that gives you about 90% of the Razor experience for a bit cheaper then even the non E version, check out the Delta Stryker 1-6x24. I have it and love it. My brother runs the E 1-6 razor and we've compared them side to side many times, your not giving up much with the Stryker with the money and weight you save. Just throwing it out there for those who weren't aware of it, if your set on a razor carry on, it's a great scope.

*Not sure if I'm allowed to do those last two links or not, delete if not mods and my apologies*

Last edited:
I prefer the glass in the non E but for all I know it’s the same in both scopes. It just seemed like a slightly crisper image.

You won't feel a difference between the two on the rifle. I have a 1-10 which weighs the same as the E and I have used non E since they came out and I feel no difference on the rifle. A few ounces is nothing.

Never an issue spinning the power knob in the non E in matches either. Up to you which you want but don't expect any eye opening difference. For $899 above it would be up to your wallet thickness but I would grab that.

Another question (hoping it’s not a dumb one) but do lens caps/covers (vortex defenders) make the ring around the razor thicker when behind/viewing? Want to make sure my lenses stay clean/clear/protected but also want to maintain that thin barely there ring too…

Another question (hoping it’s not a dumb one) but do lens caps/covers (vortex defenders) make the ring around the razor thicker when behind/viewing? Want to make sure my lenses stay clean/clear/protected but also want to maintain that thin barely there ring too…
I had a set of Aadland caps on my II-E and yes, they were noticeable when shooting.
I removed them and went with a Scopecoat.

I had a set of Aadland caps on my II-E and yes, they were noticeable when shooting.
I removed them and went with a Scopecoat.

I also have Aadland caps for my gen 2 E and also run it with no caps now. I don't really worry about scratching the glass. I guess if it happens it's whatever.

I've had multiple of both. Haven't really noticed difference in magnification ring but I ran throw levers. I did notice the difference in balance, especially on a 6-7lb rifle.

I have both and prefer the E version for the improved dot dynamic range. To me this one improvement is reason enough to choose the E.

The E version dimmest setting is much more usable in low light conditions.

The non-E dot is too bright and can often obscure the target.

Also, and I don’t know how, but the dot on the E version seems cleaner. A crisp dot.

I’d also go with a mill or an MOA reticle, not that Jerry thing.

The Gen2 1-6x is everything you need. You can make solid hits out well past 500yds with 6x, and if you’re primarily going to be shooting at close range (inside 50yds), the extra savings of the Gen2 will be better. The only thing the 10x top end will give you is more precision for your shots, provided that that is what you’re using the rifle for. If it’s not a precision rig, and you‘re not regularly going to that distance of 500yds or more, then you aren’t really losing anything going with the Gen2.

It's a quarter pound difference, which could feel very noticeable depending on your rifle's current weight. Still, at only $899 I'm seriously considering the non-E version:
I grabbed one of these w a promotional code 2 weeks ago and only paid $749 shipped from eurooptic. Unfortunately it’s not active anymore.

Reactions: Riverlife87
I had a chance to handle both models side by side. The Non E zoom mag ring was really stiff in comparison to the E model, which was the main difference I could feel, also was mentioned by another here. Had to check. Not to mention the slight weight difference, it was only noticeable if you had them next to each other… I also wanted to get Mrad VMR2 over the JM BDC reticle and that’s all they had in E model at my local store. Glass was the same and as mentioned here… the illumination on the Non E vs E was the bloom. E model was clearly less bloom on max setting. Both are daytime bright and have superior glass when view others in its class. All in all, I would of been happy with either but ended up with the E model. Just felt right with me. Thanks everyone for the input and opinions. Really made a difference as I knew what to look for.

Reactions: SepticDeath
Im in same boat, trying to decide between a used non E off another forum or go for a new E.

Im in same boat, trying to decide between a used non E off another forum or go for a new E.
I went with the New E model. Differences were as noted in my post above. Had lots of great input from members here which I had to confirm for myself by handling both versions. Will say.. you should (if available to you) handle both and decide. That's the best way I could of understood the differences. Also... no scope flip up caps for me. In my opinion, you're paying that Razor's thin (almost non existent) reticle ring and when I added flip caps... it did the razor no justice. I purchased a scope cover (which member's on here also recommended) and couldn't be happier. Cover on when not in use and off when ready to go. Hope this helps you out, just as it helped me out when purchasing/choosing.

Last edited: