• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Vortex Razor 3-18x vs Vortex PST 5-25x for 6.5 CM

KingAbassi

Private
Minuteman
May 25, 2023
Ohio
So looking into getting into long range shooting on a semi budget. I'm torn between these 2 options. I live relatively close to Thunder Valley and very close to a 1,000 yard range. I just don't want to get something and feel like I need more mag or just eat it and go with the cheaper option that may have slightly worse clarity and build quality.

What do yall think?

Thanks!

The Razor gen II 3-18. If your mil/vet/LE/first responder yadayada check out EuroOptic for 55% discount until may 31.

Reactions: KingAbassi
So looking into getting into long range shooting on a semi budget. I'm torn between these 2 options. I live relatively close to Thunder Valley and very close to a 1,000 yard range. I just don't want to get something and feel like I need more mag or just eat it and go with the cheaper option that may have slightly worse clarity and build quality.

What do yall think?

Thanks!
If you are not looking for a lighter weight setup, between those two go for the 3-18, assuming that you are ok with 18x. From what I’ve read, the tracking is more consistent and the build quality of the Razors is much more robust. Locking turrets on the Razor are nice, to me at least.

I own the PST 5-25 and Razor 4.5-27.

Ideally, you could find a used Razor 4.5-27. Best of luck.

Last edited:
Reactions: KingAbassi
For the budget you hinted on with a Razor Gen 2 3-18x in this mix, I'd personally get an Athlon Cronus BTR Gen 2 4.5-29x56 instead ($1299 open box at Cameraland or maybe as cheap as $999 if the deals still valid for the military law enforcement at EV) which is on par with the Razor Gen 2 4.5-27x56 and for much lighter weight too. I'd also rather buy the $799 DEMO Meopta Optika 6 5-30x56 from EuroOptic before buying even thinking of buying a Viper PST Gen 2 also for overall superiority which is also in par with the Athlon Cronus BTR Gen 2 and Vortex Razor Gen 2. I'm still sort of a Vortex fan but honestly have somevreservations on the actual quality and reliability and longevity of their scopes lately regardless of country of manufacture while I don't hear nearly as many comments regarding warranty claims about Athlons and Meoptas as compared to Vortex lately.

I prefer to buy more magnification than actually needed so I can just back the magnification down 1/2 - 2/3 to have a superior eyebox and perfect image quality instead of just getting the exact maximum magnification scope intended to be used at and really suffer when shooting it at max magnification with less than perfect and darker image quality with an extremely tight eyebox.

I'd even choose a much cheaper Chinese made Athlon Ares BTR Gen 2 4.5-27x50 for $565 at Walmart online with free shipping and free returns within 30 days to use as a perfectly comfortable 4.5-20x which you can use it for the the 27x with reasonable clarity that's clearer and overall superior than a $699.99 Bushnell Match Pro ED. The Ares BTR Gen 2 normally sells for $869.99 at most dealers and MSRP $1087.49. I really feel that it's a superior scope compared to the Vortex Viper PST Gen 2 and it's even lighter, has better turrets with more total elevation travel with a hard zero stop that won't limit your total elevation travel and better glass regardless if it's China vs Philippines.

Last edited:
For the budget you hinted on with a Razor Gen 2 3-18x in this mix, I'd personally get an Athlon Cronus BTR Gen 2 4.5-29x56 instead ($1299 open box at Cameraland or maybe as cheap as $999 if the deals still valid for the military law enforcement at EV) which is on par with the Razor Gen 2 4.5-27x56 and for much lighter weight too. I'd also rather buy the $799 DEMO Meopta Optika 6 5-30x56 from EuroOptic before buying even thinking of buying a Viper PST Gen 2 also for overall superiority which is also in par with the Athlon Cronus BTR Gen 2 and Vortex Razor Gen 2. I'm still sort of a Vortex fan but honestly have somevreservations on the actual quality and reliability and longevity of their scopes lately regardless of country of manufacture while I don't hear nearly as many comments regarding warranty claims about Athlons and Meoptas as compared to Vortex lately.

I prefer to buy more magnification than actually needed so I can just back the magnification down 1/2 - 2/3 to have a superior eyebox and perfect image quality instead of just getting the exact maximum magnification scope intended to be used at and really suffer when shooting it at max magnification with less than perfect and darker image quality with an extremely tight eyebox.

I'd even choose a much cheaper Chinese made Athlon Ares BTR Gen 2 4.5-27x50 for $565 at Walmart online with free shipping and free returns within 30 days to use as a perfectly comfortable 4.5-20x which you can use it for the the 27x with reasonable clarity that's clearer and overall superior than a $699.99 Bushnell Match Pro ED. The Ares BTR Gen 2 normally sells for $869.99 at most dealers and MSRP $1087.49. I really feel that it's a superior scope compared to the Vortex Viper PST Gen 2 and it's even lighter, has better turrets with more total elevation travel with a hard zero stop that won't limit your total elevation travel and better glass regardless if it's China vs Philippines.
Thanks, I'll take a look at these!

Reactions: Scopeye
I don't hear nearly as many comments regarding warranty claims about Athlons and Meoptas as compared to Vortex lately.
Since Vortex sells way more scopes than anyone else, you have to be careful when you just look at this sort of comparison.

Reactions: Scopeye
Thanks, I'll take a look at these!
Forgot to add that after buying my Nightforce NX8 4-32x50 for what I really thought was good deal at just under $2000, instead of buying another $2000 NF, I took a chance and bought my first Chinese made Athlon Ares BTR 4.5-27x50 for $700 on sale and did a side by side comparison with my Nightforce NX8 and then bought two more of these Chinese Athlon Ares BTR scopes instead of another Nightforce NX8.

Now the Ares BTR is even cheaper at $565. I don't normally look forward to buying Chinese made stuff and prefer Japan or USA or Philippines made scopes but I already have 2 of them in my shopping cart right now after finding out it's clearer than the brand new 2023 release $899 Primary Arms GLx 34mm 4.5-27x56 made in the Philippines.

It's also equal to the Japan made $1499 Element Nexus 5-20x50 30mm in optical clarity when compared at 5x - 20x magnification and is lighter has much better turrets and more total elevation travel too.

Well that wasn't actually a good comparison since even the $500 Arken EP5 is better than the Element Nexus when used as a 5-20x scope.

Last edited:

What do yall think?

Thanks!
Here you go... $1,499 MSRP...On clearance for $650... I have 3 of them. For the money, extremely solid scopes. And Burris has a lifetime "Forever" warranty.

Or get one of these, if your budget can handle it... I just ordered one of these yesterday.

Get a set of these rings... 34mm tube, 0.94 (Low) height. They will fit perfect on a short-action.

Last edited:
just went through this a few months ago. sticking with vortex, look at the diamondback because it has everything you could want and a better price point. Snipershide loves them, I have one and can say it's outstanding for the money

I was up to thunder valley with a crimson trace series 5 3-18x50 scope and had no problem shooting at the mile plate. If you’re stuck on those two, the razor is going to be superior even with lower mag.
As mentioned there are some worthy contenders in your price range. The xtr3 is making a big splash lately. The Cronus is well proven, I’d probably take a look at the xrs3 6-36 as well.

I was up to thunder valley with a crimson trace series 5 3-18x50 scope and had no problem shooting at the mile plate. If you’re stuck on those two, the razor is going to be superior even with lower mag.
As mentioned there are some worthy contenders in your price range. The xtr3 is making a big splash lately. The Cronus is well proven, I’d probably take a look at the xrs3 6-36 as well.
Are the Crimson Trace series 5 3-18x50 made in Japan or the Philippines?

just went through this a few months ago. sticking with vortex, look at the diamondback because it has everything you could want and a better price point. Snipershide loves them, I have one and can say it's outstanding for the money
The Swampfox Patriots are slightly improved versions of the Chinese Vortex Diamondback Tactical FFPs and are much cheaper too and even include sharkfin throw levers. The 4-16x44 Swampfox Patriot is especially nice for $200 - $250 Chinese FFP scope depending on where you buy them from and they also have a lifetime warranty.

Reactions: PearShooter
Here you go... $1,499 MSRP...On clearance for $650... I have 3 of them. For the money, extremely solid scopes. And Burris has a lifetime "Forever" warranty.

Or get one of these, if your budget can handle it... I just ordered one of these yesterday.

Get a set of these rings... 34mm tube, 0.94 (Low) height. They will fit perfect on a short-action.

The Burris XTR3 5.5-30x56 was recently on sale at at DVOR for $1299.