• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Vortex Razor 5-20 Users

cwinston

Private
Minuteman
Feb 20, 2012
Virginia
I'm in the market to upgrade my optics and have a $2k budget looking for a FFP MIL/ MIL solution. The Razor 5-20 is looking real strong for the features vs price point. So if you have used / purchased the Razor would you do it again or would you consider other options?

This is for a do it all 308 rifle, I use it for hunting, F-class, 1,000 yd paper punching, and varying distance steel courses up to 1,100 yds (known and unknown distances). I'm currently using a Vortex PST 4-16 SFP and want to get into a better class of optics.

My main issue with my current scope is that I would like a little more on the higher end of the magnification range, and I would like a FFP reticle.

I also wear glasses with a strong astigmatism, eye fatigue sets in quick so optics quality is real important, if not the most important feature requirement.

Also I am not planning on making this the last scope I put on this rifle. I really liked my friends S & B PMII. Whatever I buy today will likely be sold in the future to upgrade and get closer to the S & B.

Last edited:
I have used Razor HD's with EBR-2B reticle for a little over 2 yrs now and also just received a New Bushnell XRS with G2 reticle. I think either a Razor HD or Bushnell HDMR will serve your needs well. The HDMR's can be had, used for the $1100 range if you don't want to be out for the XRS version.

I have a Razor with the EBR3 reticle. The EBR2 is a little on the busy side for me, but perhaps I wouldn't mind it if I tried it out. In terms of quality, durability, optical clarity, features, and warranty/CS, the Vortex Razor is very hard to beat. With this offering, I would not go with a Nightforce.

Here are the very minor downsides:
- low end magnification is 5x. if you want a "do all" type rifle that you can hunt with, 5x is challenging to use in the woods. You can do slick things like put a Red Dot on a wiebad target loading device to make up for this.
- top end magnification is 20x. unless you're shooting bench rest or very long range with a magnum rifle, 20x should be adequate. I can easily shoot 1.5" groups at 400 yds (the max at my range) with my 308 and this scope and see marks on the shoot 'n see very clearly
- the scope is pretty large. if you want something really sleek and elegant with all the features you're going to have to pay quite a bit more. the SWFA HD and Bushnell 3-21 are pretty large scopes as well.
- earlier versions only have 5 mils per turn. you can upgrade an older version to 10 mils per turn for ~ $200. having only 5 mils per turn doesn't really bother me though.

Having used SWFA and a Bushnell, I would stick with the Vortex Razor.

I have a Vortex Razor on my comp gun and am extremely pleased with it. I have the EBR-3 reticle and it serves me very well. I'm not sure about the issue with you astigmatism but it does have a wide selection for dioptor adjustment. One piece of advice though is about the 10 mil knob. I have the 10 mil knob and think I should have stuck with the 5 mil. The lines are close together for my old eyes. If you're not going to be shooting way out to 1K all the time you may be able to get away with the 5 mil knob. Other than that you will have a very difficult time finding a scope of this quality in this price range. The Bushnell is the only other option I would seriously consider and you cannot go wrong with that one either. I picked the Vortex because I thought the glass was slightly better than the older HDMRs.

I just started to use mine and dig it. I wasn't sure about the open center on the 2B reticle but after using it I really like it. I don't find the hold offs to be busy or intrusive. The glass is crisp and clear. No tunneling at 20x although eye box gets a bit more tight. The zero stop is solid. I actually like the large elevation turret and stuck with the 5 mil version due to my ever worsening close up vision. My two choices were the Razor and Bushnell DMR. The new DMR zero stop version also has 10 mil revs, which again is difficult for me to see without my glasses. The great Vortex CS, illumination if I need it, and past experience with 3 PST's pushed me toward the Razor.

Is your $2K budget including the sale of your Viper or not? If you think about it, $2K cash in hand, sell your Viper, and you're almost to a used S&B 5-25 or 3-20.

Is your $2K budget including the sale of your Viper or not? If you think about it, $2K cash in hand, sell your Viper, and you're almost to a used S&B 5-25 or 3-20.

I plan to sell the PST, add about $1,400 and upgrade now, then repeat as budget permits till I get to the S & B .

I have owned 3 Razors with EBR2, 2B and 3 reticles. I liked the EBR3 the best as I didn't like the center open on the 2B. All in all the Razor is the scope I always recommend to people in the 2K price range. It's full of great features for the price and you can't go wrong with the Vortex warranty.

The Razor is a fine optic that fits your budget. But don't overlook a few others. The SWFA Super Sniper 5-20 is another good choice. Mine has been an excellent scope. Also IOR has a few similar offerings at your price point.

The Razor is a great scope. The warrenty is second to none. The optics are very clear and the adjustments are crisp and accurate. This scope works great for all the long range stuff. I have never had a problem hunting with a 5 power scope. It would be the bigest bang for your buck.

Thanks guys, I was fairly certain it is a fine optic, and I've read the reviews pros and cons. Just wanted to see if the cons were bad enough to cause someone buyers remorse.

I had a Razor with the EBR2 reticle. I had to sell it to pay for some truck repairs. Every time I'm on the range, I wish I had it back! I've had Leupold MK4's, NXS, and IOR's as well and The Razor was the best scope I've ever had.

Have a Razor with 2B reticle and the only thing I don't like is the heavy reticle. It's also too big and heavy for a hunting scope in my opinion - but for comps and plinking its great, save the heavy reticle.

Thanks guys, I was fairly certain it is a fine optic, and I've read the reviews pros and cons. Just wanted to see if the cons were bad enough to cause someone buyers remorse.
If you really want a S&B, you will have buyer's remorse if you get the Razor. Live with what you have now and save for the scope you want. S&Bs pop up for sale on here all the times. There was a guy selling one professionally cerakoted FDE in a matching Spur mount for just $3200 a few weeks ago. Took every ounce of self control not to buy it.

If you really want a S&B, you will have buyer's remorse if you get the Razor. Live with what you have now and save for the scope you want. S&Bs pop up for sale on here all the times. There was a guy selling one professionally cerakoted FDE in a matching Spur mount for just $3200 a few weeks ago. Took every ounce of self control not to buy it.
I understand where you are coming from, but there is a method to my madness. I'm fairly new to the long range rifle world and I recognize I don't know what I don't know. Last year comps showed me shortfalls in my current setup and I want to address some of them before the comp season starts back up. I'm used to trading up in equipment and as I go I'm learning what works and what doesn't and why. I've always been the kind of guy that wants to know why something works the way it does and the benefits of that feature. Sure I could just copy the best shooters gear and I'm sure it would work fine, but I wouldn't completely understand why those choices were made.

I know this purchase is a stepping stone and I'm not looking for anything more than that. I won't have any remorse in furthering my education on optics, using a better scope than I have now, and moving on to something better yet when budget permits.

The key to this method is choosing quality equipment that holds its value fairly well, so you don't lose your shirt when you do move on and upgrade.

I have a EBR3 reticle Razor, I really like it, my previous scope was a Premier 5-25, I sold it and got the Razor, rings, cat tail, Razor 3moa reflex sight, and a JEC TLD to mount the Razor reflex on my Razor 5-20, I went with the 5 mil turrets, the weekend after I mounted everything up I made a 2nd round hit at 1780 yards with my 260Rem, I am saving my pennies for another for my 308.

Very pleased with my Razor. I have the 2A reticle and the old 5-mil turrets. Having a clear and tough optic that's backed by outstanding customer service for an awesome price cannot be beat.

Very happy with my 2 Razors with EBR2B - I guess for me the only downside is they are quite large; but for the price, features, glass, warranty, etc. are all hard to beat.

I too am very happy with my Razor and I would possibly buy another one. I will say that the Bushnell XRS does look pretty interesting and I have heard lots of good things about them, I would love to try one beside the Razor.

for $$ feature set offered hard to beat

i went with ERB-3, luv it
5mil turrets, as the 10 would get kinda crowded IMHO
want MSR reticle so Kahles or Steiner on my to do list

I understand where you are coming from, but there is a method to my madness. I'm fairly new to the long range rifle world and I recognize I don't know what I don't know. Last year comps showed me shortfalls in my current setup and I want to address some of them before the comp season starts back up. I'm used to trading up in equipment and as I go I'm learning what works and what doesn't and why. I've always been the kind of guy that wants to know why something works the way it does and the benefits of that feature. Sure I could just copy the best shooters gear and I'm sure it would work fine, but I wouldn't completely understand why those choices were made.

I know this purchase is a stepping stone and I'm not looking for anything more than that. I won't have any remorse in furthering my education on optics, using a better scope than I have now, and moving on to something better yet when budget permits.

The key to this method is choosing quality equipment that holds its value fairly well, so you don't lose your shirt when you do move on and upgrade.

I know exactly what you are saying. I have been doing it for 3 years and am now comforatable with what works and what doesn't. I upgraded from a PST which worked fine. But, what I gained by going to the Razor is better glass, better zero stop, better reticle, easier to use with my vision, and overall a more solid optic. I shoot with a bunch of guys that use S&B's and for myself, I cannot see the 1300.00 improvement over the Razor. Thats not to say others cannot see the improvement, just that I can't.

I also wear glasses with a strong astigmatism, eye fatigue sets in quick so optics quality is real important, if not the most important feature requirement.

Just a note from a fellow user of corrective eyewear - the best glass in the world is an absolute waste if your corrective lenses aren't already doing a proper job of correcting for your astigmatism. While good glass is nice to have, don't think that it will serve as a crutch for a poor prescription.

Since you wish to upgrade at a later date, you will want to beware of depreciation costs for whatever you buy. This strongly suggests the purchase of a "pre-owned" scope, as someone else will take the depreciate hit.

The Razor HD is a fine scope. A Nightforce F1 would also probably work well for your application, and depending on the type of hunting you plan on doing, the 3x lower end might be more appropriate than the 5x lower end of the Razor. If you can live without a zero stop and reticle illumination, the Bushnell DMR is great for the money. I own all three, and like them very much.

the best glass in the world is an absolute waste if your corrective lenses aren't already doing a proper job of correcting for your astigmatism.
I agree 100%. I've gone through several eye doctors before I found one that can deliver the right Rx every time and that uses a quality lab for the lenses. When you start stacking multiple lens elements they magnify each others imperfections, add in my glasses that are not "matched" to the scopes lenses, and I end up with eye strain when using magnified optics for any length of time.

Fixed power scopes are better as they have fewer lens elements, but are not always the most practical for the job.

Same thing goes for photography, the fixed focal length lenses generally (but not always) put out a higher quality image than the variable zoom ones.

Thinking hard about laser corrective surgery, but that's another topic for another day.

Consider opening up your pricepoint a couple hundred bucks, and look at a March F.

More useable power range: 3-24
Excellent reticle: FML-1
Uber-glass: Looks at least as good as SB or Premier
Compact size: about 1/2 the size/weight of SB/Premier 5-25
Excellent turret feel: smooth but distinct