• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Vortex Razor 5-20x50 HD at SWFA.com....(LL review)

SWFA

Gunny Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Jun 18, 2002
Texas
www.swfa.com
Now accepting back orders. Order online at SWFA.com

Introducing the New Combat-Ready Razor HD 5-20x50 Riflescope
We're excited to present the new standard in precision-shooting riflescopes.

rfl_rzr-hd_5-20x50_back-turrets.jpg

The new Razor HD 5-20x50mm riflescope was designed from the ground up to meet the needs of military and law enforcement precision shooters. Packed with more than a dozen unique performance and optical features, the Razor delivers superior ranging and accuracy at extreme distances—and absolutely reliable performance in the most demanding shooting conditions.

vortex_razor_hd.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">Specifications</span>
Magnification: 5-20x
Objective Lens Diameter: 50mm
Eye Relief: 3.9in
Field of View: 13.6-5.2 feet@100 yards
Tube Size: 35mm
Turret Style: RZR Zero Stop
Adjustment Graduation: 0.1mrad
Maximum Elevation Adjustment: 36mrad (125MOA)
Maximum Windage Adjustment: 36mrad (125MOA)
Parallax Setting: 40 to Infinity yards
Length: 15.8 inches
Weight: 35.2 ounces

<span style="font-weight: bold">Optical Features</span>

<span style="font-weight: bold">APO Objective Lens System</span>
Corrects color across the entire visual color spectrum—virtually eliminating chromatic aberration across the entire field of view.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Optically Indexed Lenses</span>
Delivers optimum image sharpness and brightness with true reticle use for full ranging and holdover from edge to edge because of computer-controlled alignment during construction.

<span style="font-weight: bold">XD Lens Elements</span>
Extra-low dispersion (XD) glass enhances resolution, color, and contrast.

<span style="font-weight: bold">XR Lens Coatings</span>
Vortex XR proprietary anti-reflection lens coatings increase light transmission with multiple coatings on all air-to-glass surfaces.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Fully Multi-Coated Lenses</span>
Increase light transmission with multiple anti-reflective coatings on all air-to-glass surfaces.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Construction Features</span>

<span style="font-weight: bold">35mm Tube</span>
Provides more internal room to accommodate a greater range of windage and elevation adjustment to accurately dial longer-range shots.

<span style="font-weight: bold">One-Piece Tube</span>
Maximizes alignment for improved accuracy and optimum visual performance as well as strength and waterproofness.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Aircraft-Grade Aluminum</span>
Construction from a solid block of 6061-T6 aircraft-grade aluminum delivers increased strength and rigidity.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Waterproof</span>
O-ring seals prevent moisture, dust, and debris from getting inside the tube for reliable performance in all environments.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Fogproof</span>
Filled with argon gas to inhibit internal fogging over a wide range of temperatures.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Shockproof</span>
Lenses are locked in place, fore and aft, with machined locking rings to remain in perfect alignment and resist impact.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Hard Anodized Finish</span>
Type-3 hard-coat anodization is durable; the low-glare matte surface of Stealth Shadow Black helps camouflage the shooter’s position.

<span style="font-weight: bold">ArmorTek</span>
Ultra-hard, scratch-resistant coating repels oils and corrosive salts on outer glass surfaces.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Internal Mechanism Design Features</span>

<span style="font-weight: bold">RZR Zero Stop</span>
Rapid Zero Recovery (RZR) feature stops the turret from dialing below sight in range using rugged steel components. Internal mechanisms stay free of sand, dirt, dust, moisture and other foreign materials—even when setting the zero-stop position. Patent pending.

<span style="font-weight: bold">RZR Zero Stop Turrets</span>
Spin quickly and stop at the zero setting without counting clicks. Subtension marks match the reticle making range calculation and shooting adjustments fast and accurate.

<span style="font-weight: bold">First Focal Plane Reticle</span>
Scale of reticle remains in proportion to the zoomed image. Constant subtensions allow accurate holdover and ranging at all magnifications—no shift in point of impact during zoom.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Friction Reduction System</span>
Provides superior durability, repeatability and accuracy for the life of the product. Prevents galling or deformation of the erector screw contact point because the heat-treated, hardened-steel pad floats on the end of the turret screw and interfaces with a hardened steel ring on the erector tube for steel-on-steel contact. Patent pending.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Turret Screws</span>
Provides low-friction, wear-resistant performance: precision-machined from a silicon-brass alloy and treated with an advanced dry-film lubricant. Turret screw threads are ultra-precision machined to sub-2 micron tolerances (less than 78-millionths of an inch). Ultra-smooth operation and adjustments.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Erector Tube System</span>
Precision-machined from premium brass alloy with anti-galling properties for great strength and durability. The erector spring of chromium vanadium withstands compression, has high fatigue resistance, and is tumble-polished to a mirror finish for micro-precise elevation and windage adjustments.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Single Spring Construction</span>
Fully constrains the optical system for predictable, improved accuracy throughout the range of elevation adjustment.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Glass-etched Reticle</span>
Protected between two layers of glass (not made from wire) for optimum durability and reliability.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Illuminated Reticle</span>
Electronic illumination aids in low light visibility of reticle. Battery included.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Illumination Control</span>
Can be turned on or off with a single click between each intensity level—allowing access to a preferred illumination setting without having to progress through each intensity level. Positioned at 45 degrees off the left side of the eyepiece for easy adjustment without blocking view of the turret setting or magnification.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Convenience Features</span>

<span style="font-weight: bold">MagView Bar</span>
Combines a fiber optics magnification indicator with raised rear-facing magnification references for clear viewing in low light conditions. Patent pending.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Radius Bar</span>
Fiber optic turret rotation indicator provides illuminated and tactile point of reference for counting turret rotations. Patent pending.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Fast Focus Eyepiece</span>
Allows quick and easy reticle focusing.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Side Parallax</span>
Uses an adjustment mechanism on the left side of the riflescope to fine-tune focus to eliminate parallax shooting error.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Sunshade</span>
Reduces glare and sun reflection off the objective lens.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Bubble Level</span>
Promotes consistent shooting form for optimal accuracy.

<span style="font-weight: bold">ARD Flip Cap Cover</span>
Reduces glare and sun reflection off the objective lens.

<span style="font-weight: bold">2 mm Hex Wrench</span>
Used for setting the RZR Zero Stop.

Re: New Vortex Razor 5-20x50 HD at SWFA (PICS)

see official press release below:

<span style="font-weight: bold">Vortex Razor HD 5-20x50 Riflescope</span>

<span style="font-weight: bold">Vortex’s New Combat-Ready Razor HD 5-20x50mm Riflescope Sets New Standards for Accuracy and Reliability</span>

Middleton, Wisconsin - Vortex Optics new Razor HD 5-20x50mm riflescope was designed from the ground up to meet the needs of military and law enforcement precision shooters. Packed with more than a dozen unique performance and optical features, the Razor delivers superior ranging and accuracy at extreme distances—and absolutely reliable performance in the most demanding shooting conditions.

With its 35mm one-piece tube machined from aircraft-grade aluminum, the Razor offers
an incredible 36 mrad / 125 MOA adjustment range for windage and elevation; enough to
accommodate for bullet drop at the most extreme distances. The optically-indexed lenses are precision-ground from XD optical glass and fully multi-coated with Vortex’s advanced XR coating to deliver the highest level of edge-to-edge brightness, resolution and clarity obtainable with today’s optical technologies. A unique, multi-element apochromatic (APO) objective lens virtually eliminates chromatic aberration across the entire field of view so targets can be more clearlydefined at longer distances—and camouflage patterns more easily spotted and identified.

Ranging and accuracy at extreme distances is simplified with Vortex Optics proprietary new EBR-2 mrad reticle. Laser-etched-on-glass and placed in the first focal plane, the reticle enlarges and shrinks with the target when zoomed so the scale remains in proportion at all magnifications. In addition, the subtensions on the EBR-2 mrad reticle match the subtension markings on the turrets to make range calculations and shooting adjustments faster and more accurate.

The turret screws are ultra-precision machined from silicon-brass alloy and fitted with hardened steel turret pads that interface with a hardened steel ring on the erector tube. This patent-pending friction reduction system eliminates deformation, wear and galling of the erector screws.

Vortex’s proprietary RZR (Rapid Zero Return) Zero Stop mechanism stops the elevation turret from dialing below sight-in range using a rotational-blocking steel design (patent pending) that’s mechanically more reliable and accurate than other systems that block the vertical movement of the turret. The RZR Zero Stop is fully sealed from the elements—even when being set. Delivers precise return to zero after temporary elevation corrections have been dialed without the need for the user to count clicks.

With generous 3.9 inches of eye relief through the entire 5-20X range of magnification, absolutely waterproof/dustproof/shockproof construction, and a hard-anodized matte Stealth Shadow Black finish, the Razor HD 5-20mm riflescope truly represents the state-of-the art in combat-ready rifle optics.

I've got a bunch of pictures.

sub_razor-hd_ebr-2_details_copy.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SWFA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Introducing the New Combat-Ready Razor HD 5-20x50 Riflescope
We're excited to present the new standard in precision-shooting riflescopes.

rfl_rzr-hd_5-20x50_back-turrets.jpg

</div></div>

holy cow thats sweet!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SWFA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've got a bunch of pictures.

sub_razor-hd_ebr-2_details_copy.jpg
</div></div>

post em all

We've made sure that Frank is getting the very first one on the market. He'll be doing a full review for us, so stay tuned to this thread for more information including very detailed pictures.

Hopefully mine will be here SOOON!!!!

That's a great reticle design!!!

Looking forward to the reviews.I hope it's an "all that" scope.

Steve

Yes, the reticule looks very familiar.

Stll looks like a great optic. Cant wait to hear some end user reviews. The Vortex Viper binos I had were great glasses for the money. Hopefully this scope will be too,

WOW, this looks to be a very very good scope. I can't wait to hear the reviews on this thing.

Ive been told be a couple people that have seen them not Vortex reps mind you that the glass is on par with anything currently offered. Is it that good? I dunno but, I sure hope so. vortex has a really great cost-performance ratio. Kinda like some you get less performance that you should for what you paid Vortex has been the exact opposite for every piece of optics of theirs Ive looked through.(fingers crossed)

The elevation turret seems unnecessarily tall and a 34mm tube would have given a few more mounting options. I also don't care for the location of the illumination knob.

I like the reticle, FFP and the zero stop. The price seems fair if they're as good as advertised and look forward to an honest review.

I'm interested in the 1-4 optic. Hoping for a good BDC reticle and a day-bright illumination without being too heavy and comming in at a reasonable price point.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hydro556</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Who will be first? </div></div>

LowLight

its FFP, click on the link is SWFAs 4th post and read in the features it says its FFP

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes, the reticule [sic] looks very familiar.</div></div>

Yes, it does - familiar enough to make me wonder about patent infringement issues with the Horus reticle. I guess time will tell.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lindy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes, the reticule [sic] looks very familiar.</div></div>

Yes, it does - familiar enough to make me wonder about patent infringement issues with the Horus reticle. I guess time will tell.
</div></div>

It looks to me more like the Gen II XR to me. Maybe there is something between Gen II XR and the Horus IDK.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deadly0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hydro556</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Who will be first? </div></div>

LowLight</div></div>

I've heard that too...
smile.gif
twice now.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: berm shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Where are the Vortex products made? </div></div>

I believe these are made in Japan?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bacarrat</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: berm shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Where are the Vortex products made? </div></div>

I believe these are made in Japan? </div></div>

I think you're right. I believe the Vipers are Japan or Phillipinnes and I wanna say the lower down the line scopes are then made in Thialand.

Wow! Makes me want to drive up to Dallas to check it out...

Sounds like an interesting scope and I can't wait to read a review.That's on the high price end for Japan optics ( not that anything is wrong with them)they'll have some big shoes to fill...

When is the review due in?

well, i might of just found the new scope for my 7wsm

i really like what i am seeing so far, i cannot wait for the reviews on this

I love the reticle, the extra .2 mil subtentions on the vertical and horziontal are really going to be great for miling targets.

Re: Vortex Razor 5-20x50 HD NEW (PICS)

Ya'll wouldnt happen to be interested in some fresh pics would ya? somebody send me your email I can't get to a pic hosting site off a work PC.

Re: Vortex Razor 5-20x50 HD NEW (PICS)

here are some more pictures that hunter223 sent me, im posting them for him. Ill post some of the others later on today

vortex.jpg

vortex2.jpg

vortex4.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deadly0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hydro556</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Who will be first? </div></div>

LowLight</div></div>

I've heard that too...
smile.gif
twice now. </div></div>

LL,

Yours is waiting for you down in Kingsville.
Bandito.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jeffersonv</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That warranty is pretty bad ass. </div></div>

Yes it is.

Vortex Service and Repair Policy

Unconditional Lifetime Warranty

Vortex Optics wants you to shoot and use your Razor HD riflescope under any conditions with complete confidence—that’s why our warranty is straightforward and simple:

Rest assured, if this riflescope should ever require repair, all you need to do is contact Vortex for absolutely free service.

Call 800-426-0048 or e-mail [email protected].

Unconditional Lifetime Warranty

• Fully transferable
• No warranty card needed
• No receipt needed

Vortex Optics
2120 West Greenview Drive
Middleton, Wisconsin 53562
USA

Patents Pending on MagView System, Radius Bar, RZR Zero Stop

----------------------
Now Accepting Back Orders for the Vortex Razor at SWFA.com

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SWFA</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deadly0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hydro556</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Who will be first? </div></div>

LowLight</div></div>

I've heard that too...
smile.gif
twice now. </div></div>

LL,

Yours is waiting for you down in Kingsville.
Bandito.gif
</div></div>

How did you manage to get one in hand already?

We've been having a blast.

Vortex_Razor_HD_Truck_Load.jpg

Here's a non-studio pic that shows the color better.

Vortex_Razor_HD_Rifle_Scope.JPG

They come in cool boxes too.

Vortex_HD_shipment.jpg

The rings are nice and Made in the USA.

Vortex_35mm_scope_rings.JPG

So much for filling the price gap between Falcon and USO/Nightforce/Premier.

I guess the 3-18x IOR still stands alone. Bah!

I must be MISSING some thing , dosn't do IT for me .

Over priced for what it looks like to me .

IF I wanted a Tac scope with ONLY 5.0 Mils per turn , I would get a NXS F1 .

To me it dosn't look as nice as either the F1 , Premier or S&B PMII , and thats what its competing against .

And 35mm , when 34mm is the New std , Yeah right .

Later Chris

My money is on one. I have been very impressed by every Vortex product I've seen. I'm sure the Razor will the same.

Well, I certainly don't think anyone can give it a fair eval without seeing one in hand first. Certainly looking at the pictures will not do this scope justice.

By the way, some of you may have noticed earlier in July, in the competition forum there was a post about the 2009 SCPRC. Sgt. Dan Gilland won that competition. Guess what glass he had sitting on top of his rifle?
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sam@Vortex</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well, I certainly don't think anyone can give it a fair eval without seeing one in hand first. Certainly looking at the pictures will not do this scope justice.

By the way, some of you may have noticed earlier in July, in the competition forum there was a post about the 2009 SCPRC. Sgt. Dan Gilland won that competition. Guess what glass he had sitting on top of his rifle?
wink.gif
</div></div>

Welcome to The Hide.

If you guys would have only come in under the price of the USO/Premier/Nightforce, you would have been guaranteed to sell a shit ton of them.

Unfortunately you're asking the consumer to spend the same money on an unknown. Any, and I mean any bump in the road along the way your reputation is shot. I hope you've done your homework.

The price gap still remains . . .

An illuminated, FFP, 0.1 mil click, side parallax, 14x-20X max power scope with at least 6 mils per revolution and/or a zero stop will rule this tactical market . . . <span style="font-weight: bold">IF</span> it can come in comfortably under 2k.

Here's to hoping IOR will do it with their 4-14x or Leupold will do it with their 4.5-14x

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: glock24</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you guys would have only come in under the price of the USO/Premier/Nightforce, you would have been guaranteed to sell a shit ton of them. </div></div>

I will be interested to hear the "street price" of them. I'm hoping for $1500 with rings, but I might be dreaming. Wish I could use my 34mm rings like others here, but not a show stopper.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I will be interested to hear the "street price" of them. I'm hoping for $1500 with rings, but I might be dreaming. Wish I could use my 34mm rings like others here, but not a show stopper. </div></div>

I'm sure SWFA and Liberty Optics will begin the <span style="font-style: italic">price wars</span>, IF Vortex doesn't pull any MAP pricing crap.

Also consider the fact that Vortex will be chomping at the bit to raise the price <span style="font-style: italic">if</span> the market accepts their product. Look at what Nightforce and now Premier have done.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: glock24</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I will be interested to hear the "street price" of them. I'm hoping for $1500 with rings, but I might be dreaming. Wish I could use my 34mm rings like others here, but not a show stopper. </div></div>

I'm sure SWFA and Liberty Optics will begin the <span style="font-style: italic">price wars</span>, IF Vortex doesn't pull any MAP pricing crap.

Also consider the fact that Vortex will be chomping at the bit to raise the price <span style="font-style: italic">if</span> the market accepts their product. Look at what Nightforce and now Premier have done. </div></div>

It will be interesting to see how this pans out in the near future.

Steve

If you find a place selling them that cheap let me know. I was going to purchase one up until they came out with the $2000.00 price tag. Like said previously in the thread. Its a unknown. Would rather get a Nightforce, Premier or USO for that price. Not downing the scope it looks really nice. But for the few extra bucks I'll buy something proven.