• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Vortex Razor AMG 6 - 24 x 50

Eric B.

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 6, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
This is Vortex' top scope and is all Made in USA except for the German "Christmas tree" EBR reticle.
SInce I use a similar H59 reticle in my Bushnell ERS 3.5 - 21 competition scope I like the AMG reticle. (I am a "Holder", not a "Dialer".)

Is there anyone here who uses this scope? I want it for a long range hunting rifle (6.5 CM Browning Hell's Canyon). At 28 oz it's fairly light for that power range and quality level.

Eric B.

That is definitely a good dual purpose option for it's price range, decent glass and a solid scope overall. Let me know if we can assist you at 916-670-1103, we're happy to answer any questions you have about that scope or others. :)

One of the best performance to weight ratios out there, and it's a reasonable price with a good reticle and great turrets. And it's made in the USA to boot. Hard to imagine a better scope if weight is a major factor for you.

For hunting/light weight, it’s going to be very hard to beat.

If weight isn’t a factor, look into the Minox ZP5 with MR4 reticle.

I have owned both and the minox reticle is slightly better in my opinion. The glass is also going to be a step up.

Reactions: Glassaholic
I have one on a hunting rifle, and I love it. IMO it's the best "light weight" long range hunting scope out there. Love the turrets, and the glass is great.

I would say to practice dialing, if you are already holding over and holding for wind using mils in a reticle, why not dial? You are already getting the info you need to dial, just makes it much more precise. And with the zero stop of the AMG, return to zero is very easy. The locking turrets will also help from them getting bumped and turned on accident while hunting.

Biggest reason I can see tomboy be dialing on a hunting gun is time. Sometimes there isn't time to dial and it better to practice that way.

The AMG is a good scope for a longer range hunting gun. A 3-18 AMG would be perfect for hunting though. I like to be lower that 6x when hunting and dial up if needed. The weight is decent and I like that it can be mounted lower since it's a 50 and not 56mm.

Biggest reason I can see tomboy be dialing on a hunting gun is time. Sometimes there isn't time to dial and it better to practice that way.

The AMG is a good scope for a longer range hunting gun. A 3-18 AMG would be perfect for hunting though. I like to be lower that 6x when hunting and dial up if needed. The weight is decent and I like that it can be mounted lower since it's a 50 and not 56mm.
i think they'd sell quit a few 3-18 or 4-16 AMGs

I know they don't sell as many 3-18 gen 2 as they'd like but in a lighter package I bet they would too

Reactions: Frog05
I think that's a different case though. I'd say probably 90% of the people buying the Gen II are using it for target shooting, so weight/size isn't a huge issue, and the higher top end is preferred for that. Not many people buying a 47 ounce 3-18 scope, its basically the same size/weight as the 4.5-27 and you only "gain" 1.5 power on the low end. The people that would be buying the 4-16/3-18 AMG would be people worried about the lower mag on the bottom end and size/weight. I just think there is a much bigger market out there for a mid power AMG than there is for a mid power razor Gen II. I'd pre-order a 4-16 or 3-18 AMG in a heartbeat if they release one. (If you're listening Vortex, PLEASE MAKE A MID POWER AMG, preferably in 3-18)

Last edited:
For hunting/light weight, it’s going to be very hard to beat.

If weight isn’t a factor, look into the Minox ZP5 with MR4 reticle.

I have owned both and the minox reticle is slightly better in my opinion. The glass is also going to be a step up.
I agree with DT, the AMG is awesome and at 28oz represents one of the lightest FFP scopes to offer 24x (the March 3-24x52 is probably the lightest), but at 6oz more the Minox ZP5 5-25x56 with MR4 is a step above the AMG, in fact, the Minox is one of the best scopes optically available only topped by the TT but some would argue splitting hairs. For the price, I don't think the AMG can be beaten for what it offers.

OP - many on this forum use the AMG and are very happy. I did a review of the AMG with some other scopes which you can see in my signature link.

Reactions: JeffLebowski
I have 2 AMG's now, both on hunting rigs. As already stated for the price and the options offered for hunting applications where weight is a factor. There isn't anything better out there IMO. I have one in each reticle and since my match rifles where Kahles SKMR3, I love the center dot on the 7B. Buy with confidence!

The AMG is a great scope. I choose to run one on my competition rifle even though weight is of zero concern on that rig. They are that good. Nothing can touch it at its price point/feature set.

I am going to be in the market for an AMG soon. I totally agree, I'd jump all over a 3-18×50 if they end up building them!

I hope vortex releases the 3-18 version in 2019. I doubt they will but one can hope. I'd swipe one up ASAP.

The AMG is very good for what it is, I have one on a dual purpose hunting rifle/long range plinker and it’s been very good to me.

I went back and forth between it and the Kinox zp5, but no locking turrets on the Minox was a big turn off. On a hunting rig, I want locking turrets.

Another scope to consider that’s similar to the AMG in specs is the Leupold Mk5 5-25. If it were out when I bought my AMG, it would have been a strong contender.

Have you looked at the Leupold Mark 5?
There is options for the H59 reticle if you wanted to stick with that, the 3.6-18 is a little lighter and the 5-25 a tad heavier.

AMG is a very popular scope and I'm yet to see anyone bad mouth it, the MK5 is another option you may consider.

Have you looked at the Leupold Mark 5?
There is options for the H59 reticle if you wanted to stick with that, the 3.6-18 is a little lighter and the 5-25 a tad heavier.

AMG is a very popular scope and I'm yet to see anyone bad mouth it, the MK5 is another option you may consider.

I've seen them online but haven't gotten my hands on one yet. Does it have the same glass quality as the MK6?

I've got two, one on an MPA comp in 6XC and another awaiting a Manners PRS style stock for a Tikka which will also be used for hunting. Love the scope for what it is - easy to get behind, glass is excellent and the locking turrets are also low profile so it's just a very slick little optic.

I really like hearing all of the (overwhelming) positive aspects about this scope. I can hardly wait till I am able to top my main hunting/shooting rig with it.