• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Vortex Razor Gen 1

lowspeed_highdrag

Noob
Minuteman
  • Dec 7, 2017
    Northern Colorado
    Walked into Mile High today with the intent of buying a Nightforce SHV, but ended up with something entirely different. They were running a really good sale on Gen 1 Vortex Razor's in Spuhr mounts. So, I pulled the trigger on a 5-20x50 EBR2 MOA. I know the Spuhr mount is quality gear, but I know very little about the Gen 1 line of the Razors.

Is this still a competitive optic or did I buy something that is out of date/obsolete? Are people still using and buying these Gen 1's?

Thanks for the info!

aM7N442.jpg

Its still a good viable optic, decent glass and good tracking. Although its a little large it does what a quality optic should.

I ran a mil/mil version for all of last year on a .308. It is an excellent glass that will serve you well. It may not go up to 25x, but so what? I never ran mine past 18X.

You done good.

Definitely not obsolete by any means. I purchased this same package (MRAD) from MHSA several months back for a custom 300wm. I take it from 100 to 1,650 yards quite regularly in Central Texas weather and I have yet to find any limitations caused by the Gen 1 Razor. I own a Gen 1 PST 6-24 and both Gen 2 Razor models (all MRAD). While the Gen 2's are in a different league entirely, the Gen 1 is no slouch and I would never hesitate to recommend it to anyone. Currently out of My Vortex lineup, I use the Gen 1 Razor the most. I couldn't be happier with my purchase and don't plan to remove it from this rifle anytime soon.

Nothing at all wrong with the Gen 1 Razor. Still a very good scope with good tracking, glass and a ton of elevation. Get out and use it and you will be very happy with your purchase. I have an older one with the 5 mil turrets and it's still running just fine.

umC3brY.jpg

Great scope IMO. I’ve had the moa and mrad versions, and never had one complaint with either. Yes, the elevation turret is tall, and it’s be nice if they relocated the illumination knob by the side parallax, but those are minor nitpicks on an otherwise awesome scope!

I have been running my gen 1 razor MOA for over a year now and i love it. I shoot it on my 30/06 that is my 1k yard gun and doubles for prone hunting simce it weighs right at 19lbs. My only complaint with it is the thicker reticle on small targets at 20x.... it was never a problem until i looked through a gen 2 razor.

Guess I would check with one of the sponsors first.....CS Tactical, Doug at CemeraLandNY, Mile High. If you have a membership, Gulp, to Expericity.....they have an amazing price on these scopes....just received two this past week. Worth every penny IMHO.

I have the Vortex Razor HD 5-20x50 on my RRA 6.5 CM. I did a lot of research and it boiled down to this scope (price/features). Mine is in Mil/Mil with the ERB2-2B reticle. I love the scope and for the money don't believe there is a better one out there. I did get 'pregnant' with the idea of buying the Kahles 6-24x56 , mainly due to the LSW and location of the parallax ring control.. I don't think the Razor HD is obsolete in any stretch. Great clear glass, mine tracks as it should. Does all I want it to do without any hitches, glitches, or, b.....s. Good luck, lg

I got the same package from MHSA when I bought my AI AT. Great optic and mount, mine is mil/mil. The package is a sweet-shooter. I may get another Razor, Gen 1 and Spuhr mount for my Rem 700 5R in an AICS chassis and move the scope on that rifle to my M1A.

Enjoy, and good shooting,

Harry

Last edited:
    No good. Old and obsolete. As a favor, I will take it off your hands for 50% of what you paid. PM me. :)

Only kidding - you did good.

I run the Mil version on my AI-AE .308 and it does every thing I need it to do. Tracking is spot on and never had the zero shift. For the money its very hard to beat and I like the 35mm tube.