• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Vortex Razor Gen 3 turret revolutions

CobraCharmer

Private
Minuteman
Jan 24, 2022
Bucks County, PA
Hi all,
Just a beginner question. This is my first Vortex Scope and I got it specifically for my 7PRC.

It is a brand new Gen 3 6-36 x 56 that I purchased from Optics Planet, got a discount and had some bucks accrued from a couple of 300 BLK parts i bought for my neighbor. All in all, paid around $2200.

I mounted it on the rifle, torqued down the rings to spec, and then decided to monkey around with the turrets.

As it turns out, i cannot turn the elevation turret past 19 mils - One full rotation (10 mils) and it stops at the 9 mil mark just before it completes the second rotation.

I thought i could go 3 full rotations (or something close to that) on these scopes.

Was hoping one you you could shed some light on this.

CC

Couple of things to consider or look at:

1) The scopes usually ship with the turrets set to zero somewhere near mechanical center. Around 19 mils on the G3 if I'm not mistaken is all you'll get out of it if you change nothing else. (Most scopes are shipped like this and 14-19 mils of travel is common).

2) If you want more than 19 mils of travel, you will need a set of rings, a mount, a base or combination of rings/mounts and a base that has can't built in. 20moa/6mil is most common some people try 40 or more depending on use.

However, too much can't can force you to zero beyond 100yds.

3) 19 mils is pretty good. That gets me out to 1400+ with my 6 Dasher. I only had 18 or 19 on my Tangent Theta scopes using a 20moa base.

Said a different way, as noted it (probably) shipped from the factory centered. So you have 19mils travel up and 19mils down as it stands now.

If you want more travel up, you need a 20/30/40 whatever MOA base (or rings), which points your scope down.

In order to zero a scope at 100yds upon a, say, 20 MOA base, you’ll have to adjust the crosshairs down a bunch. This allows more travel up.

38mils total travel
New: 19up / 19down (centered)
w/20MOA base: 25up /13down
(spitballed example, not how it will necessarily work out! Should be close, though)

20moa = ~6mils

Get it? It’s a little weird to think about the first few times.

Taken to the extreme, the optical quality usually degrades at the edges of the reticle travel. If you wanted the max travel (38mils) and set up the scope+base that way, the initial view with the turret at 0 (i.e. 100yd zero) wouldn’t be as great as it could be.

Last edited:
Reactions: Im2bent
Y'all are life savers. THANK YOU FOR THE REPLIES @Mormegil87 and @carbonbased. I was freaking the fuck out and I have not even taken it to the range yet for a proper zero - hell, i haven't even bore-sighted it.

I completely forgot about the factory centering.

The scope sits on a 20 MoA Coupe de Grace action - I think I will end up somewhere in the neighborhood of 18-20 mils as well.

I will adjust for zero first and THEN start cranking the scope to see where I am on the turrets.

I wanted to stretch this round out to a mile (ballistic calc says 17 mils for a 180 gr ELD Match) - figured this would be the best setup to do it in.

Reactions: carbonbased
I’m not a LR shooter (and certainly not ELR) but if you run out of travel in your scope for whatever you do, take a look at:

Mark and Sam on the YT channel use those two devices.

I’m sure there other gitzmos out there too to help, that’s the ones I’ve seen employed. Mark and Sam After Work is a good channel for ELR that explains their thought process and techniques in an easy-to-understand way.

Note: those figures for a 20MOA base that I wrote in the above post were just scratches on a chalkboard examples. Don’t think that if you zero your scope+20moa base at 100yds that the usable elevation numbers are going to match what I wrote. It’s just a way to explain things.

Reactions: CobraCharmer
Note: those figures for a 20MOA base that I wrote in the above post were just scratches on a chalkboard examples. Don’t think that if you zero your scope+20moa base at 100yds that the usable elevation numbers are going to match what I wrote. It’s just a way to explain things.
Understood. This is all a learning process for me.

By the way, I love Mark and Sam after work. Those two are a fantastic example of what couples that shoot together look like and put out some great content.

Reactions: carbonbased
Good afternoon,

Cobracharmer i was just wondering the same thing you were. I just got mine in. I’m new to the game of good optics. I was also only getting about 19 Mils of elevation. When I adjust elevation down it only goes .5 Mils below zero and stops not going any further. If i understand correctly once i zero with my 30 moa base it should open up my elevation more correct?

Good afternoon,

Cobracharmer i was just wondering the same thing you were. I just got mine in. I’m new to the game of good optics. I was also only getting about 19 Mils of elevation. When I adjust elevation down it only goes .5 Mils below zero and stops not going any further. If i understand correctly once i zero with my 30 moa base it should open up my elevation more correct?

As mentioned, the scope ships with the elevation near the center of the range and the outer turret has the zero stop fixed at 0.5 mils below zero.

The inner dial which you use to zero the scope after loosening the screw has no zero stop and will have the full elevation travel of the scope available.

How much elevation you have left after zeroing depends on tolerance stacking, the barrel, mount cant, etc. With a 30moa base you should have approximately 26-27 mils of elevation available to dial up after zeroing.

Last edited: