• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Vortex Razor Gen III 6-36x56 in black?

mike10

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Jun 11, 2019
I'll save a few of you some time up front before you comment. I know a scope is a tool and not a beauty device. I know functionality is infinitely more important than aesthetics. So, I don't need anyone trying to teach me that I should only be concerned with the quality of the scope's glass and the mechanics of the scope and blah blah blah because I already know that it's super important. There, hopefully that will weed some of you out of the comment section.

Now, on to what I want to actually know.

I got a screaming deal on a Vortex Razor Gen III 6-36x56, but, I hate the color. To me it looks like the ugliest purple I've ever seen in my life, and I don't want a purple scope -- no matter how horrible or great the optic itself is. I want the scope to be black.

So, is there any possible way to do the scope black? I guess I could spray paint it, but I have no idea how I would do the turrets and keep the numbers and all that. Any one got any experience doing this? If I shouldn't mess with it myself, are there any places y'all recommend I can send it to in order to get it painted black while still keeping all the important numerical indicators on the scope?

Last edited:
There are youtube videos using Rustoleum. Wrap the scope with protective tape is an option too.

Reactions: mike10
In the same boat. Special edition black model? Okay... I'm listening.

Purple? That's neat. I thought it was that bronze color the use. Got pictures? I've had a Gen II 4.5-27 and yeah, I wished it was black too.

Purple? That's neat. I thought it was that bronze color the use. Got pictures? I've had a Gen II 4.5-27 and yeah, I wished it was black too.
I’ve heard people call it bronze, brown, earth, etc. To me it looks like a weird, dark purple.

Reactions: Real Burt Gummer
36356F0B-ACB2-4159-A98D-73C15F047F79.png

*Mostly black

There are plenty of good cerakote applicators around. Would probably cost you 80-120 depending on the applicator.

Last edited: