• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Vortex Razor Gen III vs Minox ZP5 - need some advice

wrpicket

Private
Minuteman
Jul 7, 2018
Looking for the Hide's opinion/advice on whether I should sell my ZP5 5-25 and pick up a Gen III Razor 3-36. Use is target shooting with a 6.5CM for now, occasionally out to 1000+ yards.

I like my Minox well enough, glass is amazing, turrets are meh.

I'm thinking I'd like the extra power of the 6-36. I've read several reviews here on how the Gen III Razor stacks up, and it appears the optical quality is pretty high and has closed in a good bit on the alpha-level German scopes. Maybe even good enough that I might not notice the difference much.

Cost I think will come out a wash with all the discounts out there on the Vortex right now.

Appreciate opinions from those who have had or used both.

Don't fix what isn't broken. With that said I was a bit of a scope whore for a while. Tried them all with the exception of TT and ZCO, just to much money. I ultimately settled on Vortex G2s for my main rifles and upgraded both of those to G3s recently. I like high mag. Don't use it often, but when I want to it's there. I had an ATACR 7-35 for a while and loved that scope, the G3s give me the warm fuzzy like it used to. If you are happy with what you got, don't worry about it. If the 6-36 range intrigues you, go for it because theres nothing on the G3 that'll let you down IMO.

Reactions: skatz11
Looking for the Hide's opinion/advice on whether I should sell my ZP5 5-25 and pick up a Gen III Razor 3-36. Use is target shooting with a 6.5CM for now, occasionally out to 1000+ yards.

I like my Minox well enough, glass is amazing, turrets are meh.

I'm thinking I'd like the extra power of the 6-36. I've read several reviews here on how the Gen III Razor stacks up, and it appears the optical quality is pretty high and has closed in a good bit on the alpha-level German scopes. Maybe even good enough that I might not notice the difference much.

Cost I think will come out a wash with all the discounts out there on the Vortex right now.

Appreciate opinions from those who have had or used both.
Don't overlook the new Zeiss LRP S3 6-36x56... It's a hell of a lot of scope for the price. I love mine!

IMG_8302.jpegIMG_8307.jpeg

Reactions: Stoweit
I had two ZP5s and ended up selling shortly after getting my Gen 3. Of my ZP5s the latest rendition had great turrets, the first one I had sucked turret wise. The Gen 3 is damn near equal in glass quality. I only compared them shortly but it was enough that I didn't feel like I was leaving anything behind. I also just like the EBR7D reticle better than the MR4. But yeah as mentioned above if you can find a razor at that price that's absurd. The Zeiss LRP is also gaining traction. I've never used one but people are raving about them. i just don't like the reticle personally.

So all in all you'd basically be moving to a higher mag range with more weight, but retain similar glass quality. Which if that's what you want then I think you'll love it. I think it might be hard to sell the ZP5 given my previous experience. I also had the lock removed in my elevation turret on my Gen III and I believe that's how they should've shipped it personally.

Reactions: Glassaholic
G3 MRAD OOS at Euro for the deal. Hell of a scope for that price though.

EDIT: Still have the MOA one in stock if that is your thing.

Last edited:
It is hard to discern clarity differences between generally high end scopes when turret is dialed near the center of the optical range. What I have noticed is that the higher end scopes tend to continue exhibiting clarity and resolution when they are at either ends of the turret range - i.e my AI AXSR/MPA/CZ457/Cadex Tremor all sport 40moa(20moa rails + 20moa scope mount), so with a 100 yards zero, they are at the top of the turret range.

In extreme ends of the turret range, my Minox ZP5/ATACR/ZCO are all a class above the rest. But both my Razor Gen 2 and 3(and Athlon Cronus) display clarity that are not as clear when at either ends of the turret range.

Try it with all your existing scopes. You will find that the higher end the scope, the better the erector, the better the clarity at the turret ends. That is my hands on experience from all my scopes anyways...

Last edited:
It is hard to discern clarity differences between generally high end scopes when turret is dialed near the center of the optical range. What I have noticed is that the higher end scopes tend to continue exhibiting clarity and resolution when they are at either ends of the turret range - i.e my AI AXSR/MPA/CZ457/Cadex Tremor all sport 40moa(20moa rails + 20moa scope mount), so with a 100 yards zero, they are at the top of the turret range.

In extreme ends of the turret range, my Minox ZP5/ATACR/ZCO are all a class above the rest. But both my Razor Gen 2 and 3(and Athlon Cronus) display clarity that are not as clear when at either ends of the turret range.

Try it with all your existing scopes. You will find that the higher end the scope, the better the erector, the better the clarity at the turret ends. That is my hands on experience from all my scopes anyways...
You know, this is a good idea!

You know, this is a good idea!
It absolutely is if you expect to shoot at the extremes, I did extreme turret testing in my alpha scope review which included the Vortex G3 and that scope did surprisingly well at extreme travel, better than ZCO IMHO.

You can have Minox upgrade your turrets under warranty but it will take about 2 months turn around, latest iteration is pretty nice. While the Minox is out of service get the Vortex G3 and use it in the interim. When the Minox comes back sell whichever scope you decide to give up.

I just realized this thread is a month old so you may have already made a decision but if not contact Scott at Liberty Optics as he usually has the best prices, but other suppliers may have July 4th sales coming up…

Reactions: DJL2
The Razor Gen 3 6-36x56 for $1800 on sale just recently was an absolute no brainer. Worth buying just to have a spare scope at that price and still lots of folks selling their USED G3 Razors for $2500.

The Razor Gen 3 6-36x56 for $1800 on sale just recently was an absolute no brainer. Worth buying just to have a spare scope at that price and still lots of folks selling their USED G3 Razors for $2500.

The idea of a “spare” scope never works. That is just a lie we all tell ourselves….

The last few times I kept a “spare” scope, I landed up shopping for a new rifle the same day the “spare” scope became a spare…

I did buy the Razor on sale. It's very nice, but about a pound heavier than the Minox!

Now I'm just pining over if I am going to sell the Minox or move it to another rifle and sell a Vortex PST II. Obviously the former offsets the Razor's expense way more than the latter.

I did buy the Razor on sale. It's very nice, but about a pound heavier than the Minox!

Now I'm just pining over if I am going to sell the Minox or move it to another rifle and sell a Vortex PST II. Obviously the former offsets the Razor's expense way more than the latter.
Curious your thoughts with both scopes side by side...

Reactions: gunn317
Would someone please share where and how one can find this kind of deal? $1800 for a Gen 3 Razor is amazing! Thanks in advance!

I’ve had a ZP5 for a few years. I really like the glass and MR4 reticle. The turrets in mine are good. Not sure why they get some much hate.

I just got a G3 Razor to try out. I’m not sure if I like the reticle as much as the MR4. The turrets feel amazing and I like the ability to find tune between clicks.

Hopefully I’ll get the Razor to the range soon to zero.

For those interested in durability/reliability, here's two reference points:

• Haha
Reactions: jafo96 and 5RWill
For those interested in durability/reliability, here's two reference points:

And while you’re at it, take read through this thread for a diverse set of opinions on the fella who conducts those tests (Formidilosus):

Last edited:
I think the ZP5 is a better overall optic, but the warranty issue alone means you need atleast 2 of them or a backup optic in case it has to go back to germany for repairs. The glass is up there with TT and they are still a great scope for the money.

BUT, the 1800 G3 razors really stole the show.

I like Vortex optics. And I like how the Razor Gen III was used recently to make the new longest world record shot of 4.4 miles.

However, I also agree with others. If you like the scope you are using and getting good results, stick with it.

And I see that you but the Razor Gen III. I think you will like it.

I also agree with one other guy. You will not sell either one. The spare ends up on the next rifle that you buy.

Reactions: Scopeye
And while you’re at it, take read through this thread for a diverse set of opinions on the fella who conducts those tests ...
Yep, if you like speculation and playing the man, not the ball ...

Otherwise, people can read the tests in their entirety, as well as the documented method, and make their own decisions.

Or to do the tests themselves and document their own outcomes.

Reactions: jafo96
Yep, if you like speculation and playing the man, not the ball ...

Otherwise, people can read the tests in their entirety, as well as the documented method, and make their own decisions.

Or to do the tests themselves and document their own outcomes.
Yeah, more info = more knowledge, eh?

I think the ZP5 is a better overall optic, but the warranty issue alone means you need atleast 2 of them or a backup optic in case it has to go back to germany for repairs. The glass is up there with TT and they are still a great scope for the money.

BUT, the 1800 G3 razors really stole the show.
Real hassle free Lifetime Warranty (including their electronics especially in the scope's themselves) with first rate customer service and actual wait time (if they need to be shipped overseas internationally) plays a huge factor in making scope buying decisions at least for some buyers such as myself.

It's the reason I don't have any interest in buying certain brands such as Zeiss for example either even being tempted with some of their higher end binoculars, the horror stories posted from Zeiss owners wait time after they needed to be sent to Germany. Some were even denied warranty on out of production Zeiss items with lifetime warranty without offering current comparable replacement. I own one Zeiss scope and fortunately it doesn't have any electronics/ illuminated reticle which it's 5 year limited electronics warranty would have already long expired by now and lucky it haven't needed warranty work but I don't even use it other than for glass comparison between newly purchased scopes. I'm scared to even mount it on another rifle and risk having to have Germany give me the bad news if it breaks. Glass is excellent, clear and bright just like the Leupold VX6 HD.

If a G3 Razor or any other Vortex brand product needs repair or replacement under their real genuine Lifetime Warranty, they even offer to pay round trip shipping via prepaid shipping label for their customers and turn around time is probably the absolute quickest.

Funnier thing is Arken does the same thing with free round trip shipping for warranty exchanges but you really need it with the Arkens. Only concerned about if they decide to screw everyone over and close shop anytime soon so they don't need to or simply won't honor all the scopes they have already sold with their lifetime warranty like how Nikon screwed everyone over and how Riton and Bushnell also seem to like to do as well.

I still don't recommend buying any of Vortexes' Chinese made scopes for reliability reasons even though I have an itch that needs to be scratched in wanting to check out their relatively lighter than average weight 3-18x Strike Eagle (PROBABLY THE BEST CHINESE SCOPE VORTEX CURRENTLY SELLS but not implying they are actually reliable yet) next time they go on sale again for under $500 just to compare it to an Athlon Ares ETR 3-18x ("THE" ABSOLUTE BEST CHINA HAS TO OFFER BAR NONE).

Last edited:
Real hassle free Lifetime Warranty (including their electronics especially in the scope's themselves) with first rate customer service and actual wait time (if they need to be shipped overseas internationally) plays a huge factor in making scope buying decisions at least for some buyers such as myself.

It's the reason I don't have any interest in buying certain brands such as Zeiss for example either even being tempted with some of their higher end binoculars, the horror stories posted from Zeiss owners wait time after they needed to be sent to Germany. Some were even denied warranty on out of production Zeiss items with lifetime warranty without offering current comparable replacement. I own one Zeiss scope and fortunately it doesn't have any electronics/ illuminated reticle which it's 5 year limited electronics warranty would have already long expired by now and lucky it haven't needed warranty work but I don't even use it other than for glass comparison between newly purchased scopes. I'm scared to even mount it on another rifle and risk having to have Germany give me the bad news if it breaks. Glass is excellent, clear and bright just like the Leupold VX6 HD.

If a G3 Razor or any other Vortex brand product needs repair or replacement under their real genuine Lifetime Warranty, they even offer to pay round trip shipping via prepaid shipping label for their customers and turn around time is probably the absolute quickest.

Funnier thing is Arken does the same thing with free round trip shipping for warranty exchanges but you really need it with the Arkens. Only concerned about if they decide to screw everyone over and close shop anytime soon so they don't need to or simply won't honor all the scopes they have already sold with their lifetime warranty like how Nikon screwed everyone over and how Riton and Bushnell also seem to like to do as well.

I still don't recommend buying any of Vortexes' Chinese made scopes for reliability reasons even though I have an itch that needs to be scratched in wanting to check out their relatively lighter than average weight 3-18x Strike Eagle (PROBABLY THE BEST CHINESE SCOPE VORTEX CURRENTLY SELLS but not implying they are actually reliable yet) next time they go on sale again for under $500 just to compare it to an Athlon Ares ETR 3-18x ("THE" ABSOLUTE BEST CHINA HAS TO OFFER BAR NONE).
I sent a G3 razor in for repair last friday. It was overnighted and back to me yesterday, in time for my finale this weekend. Not many companies have that kind of turn around.

I sent a G3 razor in for repair last friday. It was overnighted and back to me yesterday, in time for my finale this weekend. Not many companies have that kind of turn around.
Vortex cross shipped me a new AMG 6-24 right before a belly match when my new one came with a wonky turret years and years ago.