• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Vortex Razor HD 20-60X85 & Burris Ranging Reticle

thewolf

Private
Minuteman
Apr 2, 2012
Montana

Thought I would share.

I tried the Burris eye piece (Burris 626201 Spotter Eyepiece, 30X WA, Scr Mil) on my Vortex Razor spotting scope (RZR-A1). I did a simple test at the shooting range. White printer paper at 100 and 290 yards, well that’s what my range finder said.

I didn’t spend too much time but it seemed to look just as good between eye pieces, at least not noticeably worse. I would say it works.

I am sure the pictures don't do it justice, but to see if the reticle is true.

Attachments

• 20180311_154425.jpg
    20180311_154425.jpg
    274.9 KB · Views: 376
  • 20180311_154621.jpg
    20180311_154621.jpg
    308.2 KB · Views: 372
I have used this spotting scope and it is great for the money. Those are some good pictures, wish i knew i could have swapped the eye pieces when i had it.

That is a great find.
Too bad I already spent $3xx for a used Vortex one from the xchange...

I have been looking for the Vortex eyepiece for a while too, Come on Vortex!!

I was checking out that other thread and saw the post about the Burris. Thought it wouldn't hurt to try. I do prefer the layout of the reticle on the Vortex being offset. Although, I was thinking of picking up a Burris xtr. Could be cool having matching reticles.

I run a vortex Gen 1 razor, I bought it for the reticle, awesome for hunting as it is very clean and plane. I would prefer a h59 or 37. I use my binoculars for grid identification, then I cunfirnm the quality and species with the spotter. I like the scope. But i I leave it home for sheep due to weight. I have heard Swarovski eye cups may fit vortex razors

mj', the swaro eyepieces are a much different diameter than the vortex 1st gen. The 'eye cups' are no where close to being the same size.

The first gen Razor 80mm and the Swaro 65 & 80 mm spotters have the same focal length and the eyepieces will interchange. If the Burris ranging eyepiece is set up to a different focal length, the reticle will NOT be accurate. That is why I asked the focal length. It does not say on Burris' website....

Not sure if this helps. But using the picture. 8.5inch wide paper measures .8 mil so 295 yards, rangefinder said 290. Accurate enough for me to estimate range.

Burris: (from amazon)
MIL - field of view: 112.0' at 1000 Yd/37.3 M At1000 M
exit Pupil: 2.8 mm
eye relief: 18 mm
length: 2.1 inch
weight: 5.0 oz.

Vortex:
Magnification (per scope)30x
Linear Field of View (per scope) 112 feet/1000 yards
Angular Field of View (per scope) 2.1 degrees
Eye Relief 18 mm
Length 2.1 inches
Weight 5 ounces

After seeing thewolf's post, I decided to try using the Burris 30x Mil SCR eyepiece in a "Gen 1" Vortex Razor HD 20-60x85 spotter.

The Burris eyepiece fit the Vortex spotter literally like it was made for it.

40948641572_4719f9b8c6.jpg

So I set up a little ranging experiment in my backyard to try to address the concern that huntsman 22 expressed about the Burris eyepiece ranging values being accurate in the Vortex spotter. I cut a piece of paper to be 0.5 ft x 1.0 ft and set it out 100 ft from the spotting scope (as measured with a Tajima 200 ft fiberglass measuring tape, 74-Y2001 200" Fiberglass Tape Link ).

Here is the best photo I could get with my phone through the spotter.

40097274245_e77c648424_c.jpg

When actually looking through the scope I measured the height of the paper to be down to about half way between the 10 mil and 10.5 mil marks (so about 10.25 mils) and the width to be just past the 5.1 mil mark. That's a little different from the ends in the photo, I think mainly because I couldn't keep the top and left edges of the paper exactly against the reticle while balancing my phone on the eyepiece. In addition, I couldn't make the scope hold completely still while I was balancing my phone on it.

If I use 10.25 mils for the 1 ft tall paper, I get a calculated distance of 97.56 ft. If I use 5.12 mils for the 0.5 ft wide paper, I get a calculated distance of 97.66 ft.

So that is an error of 2.34% - 2.44% for this little experiment.

What is an "acceptable" error for ranging with an optical reticle?

In any event, my thanks to thewolf for posting this way to get a reticle eyepiece for the Vortex Razor spotters.

I might still have my Razor if I knew this...