• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Vortex Razor HD 5-20x50 Advice

Beef Curtain

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 16, 2012
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Let's just say I have an opportunity to buy a gently used one for under $1,500. I have seen and handled the scope. It is being sold as a demo unit. I have a $2,000 budget. Should I scoop this up or just go with the NF NXS I initially wanted? It's going on a Rem. 700 AAC-SD .308.

Re: Vortex Razor HD 5-20x50 Advice

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gunderstorm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Let's just say I have an opportunity to buy a gently used one for under $1,500. I have seen and handled the scope. It is being sold as a demo unit. I have a $2,000 budget. Should I scoop this up or just go with the NF NXS I initially wanted? It's going on a Rem. 700 AAC-SD .308. </div></div>

I would say go for it. If you don't like it you should be able to sell it and get your investment back out of it.

That is a hell of a deal. There were multiple on the rifles at the AZ comp and the Number one shooter was using one. They are a hell of a good scope and a warranty second to none

I agree. In my opinion, the Razor's and Nightforce are in the same category. I'm not sure which Nightforce you had in mind but unless it's the F1, I believe all of their other models are second focal plane (Razor is FFP) so keep that in mind depending on how you plan to use the scope.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JCB</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I agree. In my opinion, the Razor's and Nightforce are in the same category. I'm not sure which Nightforce you had in mind but unless it's the F1, I believe all of their other models are second focal plane (Razor is FFP) so keep that in mind depending on how you plan to use the scope. </div></div>

Good point about FFP, I hadn't considered that. I think my decision is made I'll pick it up tomorrow. Thanks for the input.

If you get it for under $1500 and don't want it please put me first in line to give you your money back for it!

IMO those 2 scopes do very different things. They are both great but....different.

The Razor is FFP and has a VERY thick reticle.

The NXS is SFP and has a VERY thin reticle.

The choice should depend on your intended use. The thin reticle is much better for precise shooting, while FFP and a thick reticle are very fast and easy to use/see. The thick reticle does give up a little bit if extreme precision is your intention.

That's a good deal on the Razor. If you're looking for that magnification range and want FFP then the Razor is the only choice between the two. I own an F1 and personally dont need the higher magnification range. I purchased mine used off the Hide and couldn't be happier with it. You won't have trouble getting rid of it if it ends up not meeting your needs.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dieselten</div><div class="ubbcode-body">IMO those 2 scopes do very different things. They are both great but....different.

The choice should depend on your intended use. The thin reticle is much better for precise shooting, while FFP and a thick reticle are very fast and easy to use/see. The thick reticle does give up a little bit if extreme precision is your intention. </div></div>

You are assuming much.

First, two of the four Razor HD reticle options offer an open center for precise targets. They also have "hold off" dots below the horizontal stadia lines. If you somehow ended up in a benchrest competition with your tactical rifle, you just dial down and left 1 mRad and use the eety-beety dots as your aiming point.

Second, you are incorrect by stating that "NXS are SFP". The main NXS scope that is compared to the Razor HD is the NXS F1. Which is in fact a FFP scope.

OP, you need to look at the scope and decide.

An NXS F1 or a Razor HD will both be excellent choices for a tactical rifle.

If you really want the NXS and you have the cash for it, then get it. Otherwise you will always wish you had. If you have an open mind about it, the Razor HD will be a great scope for you assuming the demo has the reticle and turrets you want. I don't have any regrets about buying my Razor. It's a great scope. I have shot with enough Nightforce scopes to tell you that they too are great scopes.

I have had several NXS scopes and currently own a couple of Razors. I really like the Razor and my only suggestion to Vortex this year at SHOT was "Please make one in either 2.5-10 or 4-16 just to get something in the middle of the power range"

I found that 5x was too much for most of the hunting and 20x was more than generally necessary for most of the tactical matches. I think that the 4-16 type would be fantastic.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dieselten</div><div class="ubbcode-body">IMO those 2 scopes do very different things. They are both great but....different.

The choice should depend on your intended use. The thin reticle is much better for precise shooting, while FFP and a thick reticle are very fast and easy to use/see. The thick reticle does give up a little bit if extreme precision is your intention. </div></div>

You are assuming much.

First, two of the four Razor HD reticle options offer an open center for precise targets. They also have "hold off" dots below the horizontal stadia lines. If you somehow ended up in a benchrest competition with your tactical rifle, you just dial down and left 1 mRad and use the eety-beety dots as your aiming point.

Second, you are incorrect by stating that "NXS are SFP". The main NXS scope that is compared to the Razor HD is the NXS F1. Which is in fact a FFP scope. </div></div>

OP made no mention of "F1". In lieu of that I assumed "standard" NXS SFP.

My statement is true, the NXS reticle is much thinner.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dieselten</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dieselten</div><div class="ubbcode-body">IMO those 2 scopes do very different things. They are both great but....different.

You are assuming much.

Second, you are incorrect by stating that "NXS are SFP". The main NXS scope that is compared to the Razor HD is the NXS F1. Which is in fact a FFP scope. </div></div>

OP made no mention of "F1". In lieu of that I assumed "standard" NXS SFP.

My statement is true, the NXS reticle is much thinner.

</div></div>

You should read more. The OP already acknowledged this. So in fact he was talking about the NXS F1. John isn't going to come back and point this out to you, he just rolls on.

To the OP, I have played the scope game. I am fully satisfied with my Razor. It has been the only scope in my collection that hasn't been sold or traded off.