• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Vortex razor hd AMG vs?

Qwkcrss

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 24, 2020
Are their any scopes that compare to the amg in optical quality and weight as well as overall build quality? I know this is a general question I just want to hear peoples opinions. Thanks

Too broad a query... It's a great scope.

Are you looking for FFP, 25y parallax, tree reticle, locking ocular, floating dot, locking turrets, USA made, $2K+/-, illuminated, 30mm, etc.?

The best question I've learned here over the years is: "What's your intended use?" That will narrow most questions down.

Seems like you’re asking about quality in a lightweight package.

AMG and Leupold mk5 will probably be your best bet for lightweight performance. March as well, but that’s a different price tier.

Reactions: ken226
Seems like you’re asking about quality in a lightweight package.

AMG and Leupold mk5 will probably be your best bet for lightweight performance. March as well, but that’s a different price tier.
I know the Leupold series goes up after mk5 what is changed after mk5 and up. Is it quality of glass and features? I'm pretty new to higher end optics

From what I've used, and bear in mind this is subject to change person-to-person, the Leupold Mk5 and Mk6 don't have me sold. I like the AMG turrets, reticle, and glass much better.

The March 3-24 is lighter and as good or better clarity in the glass, and the zerostop is probably the best I've ever used, but the March has a very narrow parallax adjustment, and a small eye box. Older ones can have 6400-mil turrets. I like the March, personally. I like the AMG better-- only point of contention is the weight for a hunting rifle.

NF ATACR F1's are solid scopes, as are Khales 624i's. There's plenty more I'm sure.

I looked through a 5-25 Vudu and purple fringing was apparent in the sunny desert terrain. The AMG looked great.

Guess it depends on what you want the scope for? Range fun? Hunting? Matches? Little of each? I like the MK5 as the closest direct competition, but a use case would help people recommend other options as well.

I love the AMG. As for what else, we'd need to know a lot more about your intended shooting, see the sticky on scope advice for some tips.

It would be going on my CTR in 6.5 it would be used 70% for benchrest/target shooting and 20% hunting 10% Prs matches so id like to keep it light. As for reticle I don't have much experience with any of them. Right now I have a forge 2.5-15 that I'll probably put on my ar
20200410_182059.jpg

For those that hunt with the AMG what if any cons have you encountered?. I'm thinking about one to swap between my 300WM and 7 SAW.

Depends on your average distance for shots while hunting, up here in the northeast my shots can be as close as 10 yards possibly on moving game so the 6x minimum is a deal breaker for me and the same reason I only use my 4.5-27 Razor if hunting a field. If I was out west where shots were longer I would absolutely own an AMG as I love everything about the scope.

I'm out west and mostly hunt NM , UT, MT . I'd say most shots are 200 and beyond, currently I'm using my GEN II 3x18x50 Razor and it works great but as many have said before it's a little heavy if hiking a fair distance!

it makes hunting too easy

I would have to agree. That AMG had a good year. Put an AMG on my hunting rig this past fall. Its been to Colorado hunting Elk, the panhandle hunting Texas Mullies and to the Hill Country to thin the Whitetail herd. Nothing but positive things to say about it. For me, it's an awesome scope. That AMG has 6 kills for 5 shots. I plan to try out the new Razor HD LHT this year to save a few ounces on my hike.

AMG is a very solid choice for most applications. It’s on my short list for my next build. I have looked through it a few times and it’s great. Solid turrets and very nice reticle. You won’t be disappointed!

AMG is a very solid choice for most applications. It’s on my short list for my next build. I have looked through it a few times and it’s great. Solid turrets and very nice reticle. You won’t be disappointed!
This is what I've been hearing but the only con is the 6x as the lowest magnification. Has me thinking maybe something with lower mag

Anybody ever get to look through the mk6 3-18x52? Looks like another nice option

AMG is a fantastic hunting/long range hybrid scope. If light weight and quality optics are your biggest criteria, then it's a short list of scopes that would get any type of recommendation, and the AMG is absolutely at the front of the pack.

If you shoot on the upper end of the magnification range, the AMG is a fine scope. If you find yourself in the midrange, the reticle is a mess. I feel the same about all Vortex scopes with the 7c reticle. I just don’t like that reticle unless near 20X and up. Others like it obviously. I have sold 2 razors and 2AMG because of this.

Love my AMG on both my comp gun, and swapping it to my hunting rifle. I keep looking around for a different match scope but can't find one I really feel would be an upgrade aside from a TT or ZCO

Reactions: Rob01
Any updated thoughts on the vudu vs the AMG? Looking at a similar use and build as the OP

I have two Vortex AMGs, one with the EBR-7 reticle (center floating crosshair) and the other with the EBR-7B reticle (center floating dot) and both have been good scopes.