• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Vortex Razor HD Gen 2 4.5-27x56 max elevation

teriegsecker

Private
Minuteman
Jan 9, 2019
I recently purchased a vortex razor HD gen 2 4.5-27x56. Vortex claims this scope has 33 mils of maximum elevation adjustment. It is mounted on a rifle with a 20 MOA base and a 20 MOA Spuhr mount. So I have a total of 40 moa built in. I sighted the rifle yesterday and I have .3 mils remaining at the bottom end of the scope for my 100 yard zero. I set my zero stop and it is literally .3 mils from the bottom end. I dialed up to see how much elevation I had remaining and it stopped at 27 mils. If I am not mistaken, I should have approximately 6 more mils of elevation. What am I doing wrong? What am I missing? Is there a problem having my 100 yard zero this close to the bottom end? 90% of the time, this rifle will be shot more than 700 yards. TIA

Last edited:
To get the full range of adjustment you'd need more elevation in your mounting system, say a total of 60 MOA. That will work, but you're correct that it will bring your 100 yard zero very close to the limit of travel and that will compromise image quality. It all depends what you value. If you are really only shooting past 1000 yards then a 60 MOA setup would make sense.

To get the full range of adjustment you'd need more elevation in your mounting system, say a total of 60 MOA. That will work, but you're correct that it will bring your 100 yard zero very close to the limit of travel and that will compromise image quality. It all depends what you value. If you are really only shooting past 1000 yards then a 60 MOA setup would make sense.
Let me clarify, I would like to be able to keep a 100 yard zero. But still be able to maximize my elevation adjustment. Right now, my 100 yard zero is at the bottom of my adjustment. The goal is to shoot out to 2640yards. This would require dialing to max elevation and hold over to achieve approximately 36 mils of elevation. With 40 MOA in the base and mount, I was hoping to be able to dial at least 30 mils.

Let me clarify, I would like to be able to keep a 100 yard zero. But still be able to maximize my elevation adjustment. Right now, my 100 yard zero is at the bottom of my adjustment. The goal is to shoot out to 2640yards. This would require dialing to max elevation and hold over to achieve approximately 36 mils of elevation. With 40 MOA in the base and mount, I was hoping to be able to dial at least 30 mils.
well the scope has a bit over 120 MOA of elevation so with a 60 MOA base you can keep a 100 yard zero.

Are you zero-ing using the small hex key on the inside of the elevation turret?
I am using the tool that I received with the scope. It is a flat screwdriver that turns the brass screw in the center of the turret for zeroing the optic.

Ok. After looking at this scope and working with it, I believe there is something wrong with the elevation adjustment. I will be contacting vortex in the morning. I will try to post an update.

you should have .5mil below zero no matter where zero is set. that's how the scope works

i've gun 60moa of cant on mine without an issue zeroing but 98% of the time i'm running 40moa

Ok. After looking at this scope and working with it, I believe there is something wrong with the elevation adjustment. I will be contacting vortex in the morning. I will try to post an update.
Any update?

Vortex was great to work with. I received a response very quickly from a technician. He claimed that I adjusted the elevation too far and something was stuck in the mechanics of the adjustment. I explained that I never forced any adjustment at the bottom end, but I noticed it started to stiffen up. He said it was adjusted too far🤷🏼‍♂️. I asked him about the math I was using, to calculate my theoretical elevation adjustment. Basically, he claimed the max elevation adjustment is not quite that precise. In other words, when they list the max elevation there are other variables at play when mounted to the rifle. Not sure I completely understand or agree. He was very thorough and helpful while speaking with me. They ended up repairing the scope and sending it back at no cost to me.

Reactions: richthe1