• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Vortex Razor HD GenIII 1-10x24

TheMoondog

Private
Minuteman
Sep 17, 2020

With its destinctive trademark burnt-bronze color, the Razor certainly stands out from most LPVOs. The HD Gen iii has a very precise low-profile capped turrets, with a fine 1/4 MOA per click adjustment. It has a lockable illuminator knob and offers 11 levels of brightness that at its highest settings is truly daylight bright; almost too bright for indoor use.

The Razor's 34mm sized tube body allows it 120 MOA of internal adjustment. This is useful for extreme long distance shots made possible with it's 10x maximum magnification and a fine, detailed, Christmas Tree reticle. In many ways this is an LPVO optimized for 10x rather than 1x. Because that FFP reticle become a small, simple floating 'T' at 1x which can be somewhat hard to acquire under rapid fire. Thankfully its crazy bright reticle illumination solves the 1x problem making this LPVO as quick to aim as a red dot.

Like most 1-10x LPVOs I've tested, this LPVO had a more unforgiving eyebox at 1x than a 1-6x. Moreover at 1x there was a noticeable fish eye with nearby objects inside the scope looking notably smaller than in real life. For Vortex top-tier LPVO I found this fish eye and the noticeable chromatic aberration to be disappointing. On the positive side, the image was sharper and brighter than many LPVO's of this magnification range. But in this rather high price tier for an LPVO, I think I would choose a Nightforce ATACR 1-8x.

Last edited:
I cannot confirm it it’s true or not, but various people in the know say the only way you’re getting fisheye is you didn’t nail the diopter setting.

Again, just what I’ve read. I believe @Glassaholic and @LRRPF52 have mentioned this. Apologies if I am incorrect.

My 1-10 Gen 3 Razor is one of the most optically-superb scopes I’ve ever owned. It feels like the scope disappears when I look through it and there’s just a reticle superimposed on the background, especially at 1x.

One of the first things I do with any scope is set my diopter for a clear and crisp reticle outside, not inside the house. I just went and checked my Razor 1-10 to make sure I wasn’t smoking crack, and if I turn down the diopter back to fully turned-in, that’s the only way to induce the fish eye effect. I think a lot of people don’t have much experience in how to inspect, mount, level, set-up eye relief, adjust diopter, etc. and those of us who have done it for so long take it for granted.

There’s plenty of info here on the site instructing people how to do it, but it all gets lost in the noise and a lot of new and even old shooters who have never heard of it just don’t know what they don’t know.
Here’s @LRRPF52 ’s take.

With its destinctive trademark burnt-bronze color, the Razor certainly stands out from most LPVOs. The HD Gen iii has a very precise low-profile capped turrets, with a fine 1/4 MOA per click adjustment. It has a lockable illuminator knob and offers 11 levels of brightness that at its highest settings is truly daylight bright; almost too bright for indoor use.

The Razor's 34mm sized tube body allows it 120 MOA of internal adjustment. This is useful for extreme long distance shots made possible with it's 10x maximum magnification and a fine, detailed, Christmas Tree reticle. In many ways this is an LPVO optimized for 10x rather than 1x. Because that FFP reticle become a small, simple floating 'T' at 1x which can be somewhat hard to acquire under rapid fire. Thankfully its crazy bright reticle illumination solves the 1x problem making this LPVO as quick to aim as a red dot.

Like most 1-10x LPVOs I've tested, this LPVO had a more unforgiving eyebox at 1x than a 1-6x. Moreover at 1x there was a noticeable fish eye with nearby objects inside the scope looking notably smaller than in real life. For Vortex top-tier LPVO I found this fish eye and the noticeable chromatic aberration to be disappointing. On the positive side, the image was sharper and brighter than many LPVO's of this magnification range. But in this rather high price tier for an LPVO, I think I would choose a Nightforce ATACR 1-8x.

Hello,
If you have a 1-10 that has "fish eye" at 1x after you have adjusted the diopter at 1x to a true 1x please please contact me personally. I would really like to see it and/or at the very least discuss. I have seen a couple of people make this comment,but I have not been able to see it myself. I would have to guess there something funky with your scope or possibly I am misunderstanding what is being referred to as "fish eye". Either way I would love to understand what you are seeing as it sounds like it's a major concern for you.

Can I ask how you are setting the diopter?

In my experience the 1-10 is very similar to our 1-6 at 1x.

On another note, anyone that has any concerns, questions, or comments with any of our products is more than welcome/encouraged to contact us or myself directly. Message me on here, call 8004vortex, OR if you are close enough to us or passing thru Wisconsin stop into our showroom. We'd love to see any of you for any reason, anytime!

Best Regards
Scott Parks

Last edited: