• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Vortex Razor HD LHT 3-15x42 vs NF ATACR 4-16x50

spenn0331

Private
Minuteman
Aug 5, 2022
Pennsylvania
I am in the market for an optic to mount on my Seekins Havak element chambered in .300 win mag. The two that I am considering for my applications are the Vortex Razor HD LHT 3-15x42 and the NF ATACR 4-16x50 (SFP).

The optic will be used 80% of the time hunting in the mountains of northern and central PA, with the occasional trip out west for elk and muleys.

My biggest dilemma is that I like the price point ( have discounts for both companies, though) and weight of the razor lht but I am concerned with the durability and quality vs. the NF. Likewise, I find the NF MIL-R reticle more appealing. Both optics are second focal plane as I find that more appealing for my broad range of hunting scenarios. But I am also interested in the warranty between NF and Vortex since I've eaten shit a time or two with my optics (hence the durability). Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for your input and opinions.

TLDR:
Razor lht is much lighter and cheaper but is it better or just as durable as the ATACR 4-16?

Last edited:
Two different leagues when talking the LHT vs ATACR - it's neither better nor more durable than an ATACR. I'm impressed with the clarity and weight on my LHT, but if funds would allow, I'd take the weight penalty and run an ATACR instead.

Reactions: spenn0331
Aaronk, any particular reason why you'd take the weight of the ATACR (clarity, ease of turret use, eye box etc.)? Just curious why you'd personally pick the ATACR over the LHT. Thanks.

The Nightforce will be more durable, all day, every day.
The Vortex is a “nice” scope. I have 2 of them on rifles where the Features work for the purpose of the rifle.
my main rifles that I hunt wear ATACR 4-16x42 (3 of them) and a March where weight is important.

I personally wouldn’t put a 33oz scope on an Element, which is what the NF 4-16SFP weighs.

Two different leagues when talking the LHT vs ATACR... if funds would allow, I'd take the weight penalty and run an ATACR instead.
OP maybe also consider a 2nd focal plane NF NXS, they come up occasionally in the PX

The 4-16 ATACR is simply excellent to say the least. If I didn’t have some NXS’s already filling that role, it is what I’d buy with your budget. That said, Bushnell Elite Tacticals are the best scopes I’ve ever bought (for the money) if you factor in the LE/MIL discounts. If you can afford the NF, though, it is an all-around better scope. For the record, I use Bushnell LRTSi’s and NF NXS’s and have time behind a friends ATACR. I find a maximum magnification of 15-18x just fine for .223 and .308.

I really like the ATACR 4-16, but the rotating eyepiece is a pain in the ass. I have exponentially more faith in the Nightforce over the Vortex. That said the Vortex warranty is second to none, I've used it on a couple items.

I have been rotating through a nxs 2.5-10x42, NX8 2.5-20, and ATACR 4-16x42 on my hunting rifles. I keep coming back to the nxs, but I just ordered a set of talley lightweight rings to change back to the atacr.

The lht is a nice scope with the primary selling point being the weight. Mine is a 50mm and it's lighter than a couple of my lpvo. If the weight is your primary criteria then then it's a good fit. If you do go in that direction I'd try to find a used one. I paid 800$ for mine and feel like I got my money's worth but the current prices are crazy.

Aaronk, any particular reason why you'd take the weight of the ATACR (clarity, ease of turret use, eye box etc.)? Just curious why you'd personally pick the ATACR over the LHT. Thanks.

Build quality and durability. The LHT might bare the Razor name, but if you pick one up and play with it, it certainly doesn't feel like Razor quality, and I'm not just talking because it's lightweight. There's a post somewhere on this forum I believe regarding the LHT maintaining it's zero, I haven't personally seen the issue with mine, but nonetheless it was a pretty in depth post with some pretty unimpressive results. It might sound like I'm dogging on the LHT, I'm really not, I own one and like it, but if you can hold a ATACR and LHT side by side, I think you'll see the difference pretty quick.

Build quality and durability. The LHT might bare the Razor name, but if you pick one up and play with it, it certainly doesn't feel like Razor quality, and I'm not just talking because it's lightweight. There's a post somewhere on this forum I believe regarding the LHT maintaining it's zero, I haven't personally seen the issue with mine, but nonetheless it was a pretty in depth post with some pretty unimpressive results. It might sound like I'm dogging on the LHT, I'm really not, I own one and like it, but if you can hold a ATACR and LHT side by side, I think you'll see the difference pretty quick.
That thread is absolutely around here and is the main reason for me not purchasing the LHT and still trying to figure out what to purchase instead.

Summary of the thread is basically that if you don’t drop your gun then it will hold zero. If you drop it then you can pretty much guarantee that it will be 1-2 moa off in any direction. So for a hunting scope it is a no go for me. If I drop it then I’d have to instantly stop hunting and go confirm zero and adjust.

Reactions: jbuck88
That thread is absolutely around here and is the main reason for me not purchasing the LHT and still trying to figure out what to purchase instead.

Summary of the thread is basically that if you don’t drop your gun then it will hold zero. If you drop it then you can pretty much guarantee that it will be 1-2 moa off in any direction. So for a hunting scope it is a no go for me. If I drop it then I’d have to instantly stop hunting and go confirm zero and adjust.

There is truth to this.
A couple years back I was unloading after a trip to the range and kids were playing in the back of my pickup. Anyways I was pulling my rifle out as my youngest started to tumble over the side bed of my truck. Reflexes kicked in and I dropped my rifle and caught my kid. It landed on the scope and I was pissed. However I went to check zero and it was dead nuts on. So I cleaned it up and rocked on. It reinforced why I spend money on optics. It was a Nightforce BTW.

I really appreciate all of the input. I know I’m comparing apples to oranges. I just wanted some insight on both for my application. After all of this insight and my own research, I’m leaning towards the NF. Thanks everyone!

NF all the way, and I don’t own a nightforce.. lol. I have owned 3 vortex and have sent in 2 for warranty work. Neither vortex went through much punishment, one failed on a trip we went for target shooting. I can’t imagine being on a hunt and having the scope fail, I’d lose my mind. I’m now a Schmidt bender snob just because I don’t like the idea of a scope failing.