• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Vortex Razor HD Spotting scopes - made in Japan or China?

metroplex

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Sep 15, 2020
Does anyone know if the current Razor HD line of spotting scopes are made in China? The price point makes me think they aren't Japanese.

Originally they were made in Japan. At some point they moved assembly to china and they are listed as Made In China now, except maybe the smallest one? So the components are the same, they just moved assembly to China.

Well shit, I just went to look at mine and sure enough says Assembled in the USA” on the bottom. Sorry about spreading misinformation.

The Gen 2 Razor HD spotters have always been Japanese and USA components assembled in USA.

Then maybe Vortex should outright say it, instead of Assembled in USA out of global components. To me, that means it is most likely Chinese parts assembled in the US unless I see a country of origin.

Originally they were made in Japan. At some point they moved assembly to china and they are listed as Made In China now, except maybe the smallest one? So the components are the same, they just moved assembly to China.
The smallest one is assembled in China and it is more like the Gen1 in terms of construction.

ILya

You own one and still claimed it without looking?
As Koshkin mentioned, I think I applied what I heard about the smallest spotter to the whole line.

Not to excuse my laziness but the “Assembled in USA” is printed under the Arca adapter and I didnt want to break loose the loctite to undo it but felt the need after realizing who responded with the actually correct info.

Thanks all. I put the 27-60 Razor in my shopping wish list when the time comes.
I wish Vortex didn't use the assembled in US with Global parts labeling. I even saw some of their newer Razor boxes don't list this anymore.