• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes Vortex Razor illumination

mdmp5

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • May 7, 2009
    Just got a 5-20 with the EBR2B reticle. When I turn on the illumination, the reticle seems to be brighter on the left side than the right and the numbers aren't lit that well, as well as the drop marks. Anyone else share the same observation?

Re: Vortex Razor illumination

bro let Vortex know they will fix or replace it for you. Their customer service is awesome

I know that, I just wanted to know if this is how the illumination looks thru the scope, or if it is something that needs attention. I like the scope otherwise.

Just talked to Vortex. only the Crosshairs are lit, so any other lighting on the numbers is purely ambient light from the crosshairs. Answers my question.

I have a PST & Razor and love them. That said, their illumination quality is inferior. Their illumination quality is way below every other scope I own. Move the knob and barely any change then all of a sudden it is bright enough to hurt my eyes. Plus the reticle looks kind of weird while illuminated compared to a dozen other brand scopes I have tried. The numbers light up at near max brightness but not at any lower levels. IMO they need to upgrade their illumination quality.

FYI, my razor just came back from the new eye piece upgrade and the illumination is the same, actually they sent it back with a dead battery but that was an easy fix.

Keep in mind though, I love my scopes. The pros outweigh the cons.

I spoke with them briefly about on the phone last week and the gentleman I spoke to asked me about my opinions about the scope I had ( a PST 2.5-10x ) and one of the things I mentioned was the illumination. He said that they are aware of the requests for better illum. and are working on it. I fully believe that Vortex will completely dominate the optic industry here shortly. Their attention to detail, customer service and outstanding product are what all of us look for!

dieselten-

This will explain why you are seeing it very intensely at 6 and why it has very low visibility at 5 and below. When I first received my scope I thought the same thing until I did more research and found this little tidbit out. I was actually about to call Scott at Liberty Optics and complain... thank god I took the time to research the problem before I made myself look foolish. I would like to have the illumination be a gradual (my eyes visible) increase in brightness, but I understand why Vortex went with this option even though it is an odd one for me.

This is quoted from Sam @ Vortex in the Optics Talk forum.

Source: http://www.opticstalk.com/vortex-viper-pst-tactical-scopes_topic20674_page11.html

"That's correct. We're finalizing the illumination now. The ones we showed at SHOT had pretty bright illumination across the board and one of the things we kept hearing was that guys wanted a really low level illumination, even down low enough to use with NV. So, what we are finishing up is changing the lower 5 settings to be much dimmer for very low light and NV use, while maintaining the upper 5 settings the way we showed them at SHOT for daylight use.

-Sam"

I use illumination fairly often, and like Vortex Razor way quite a bit. Couldn't ask for better.

My only gripe is that the scope eats battery (short battery life even if you don't turn illumination on). I think Sam mentioned that they were looking into this - perhaps it's fixed with the new ocular design. Must add that the scope on SVD is even worse in that sense - battery just doesn't survive for long in that one (no I didn't mean the tritium-based PSO
    smile.gif
    ).

Jenko, Thanks for that info, it does make sense. But the actual illumination quality is still sub par. It is kind of hard to explain. If you look through a Leupold Mark 4, Night Force, or S&B you will see a definite difference in the quality at any intensity level

Rgr that dieselten. I am just getting into the precision shooting field so I really have nothing to compare my razor to (quality of illumination wise). I think a lot of people kind of get tripped up over the 1-5 illumination being very dim and only really useful for NV devices with 6-10 being the actual visible spectrum. I wasn't prepared for it either which is why I had to do some research to figure out what was going on. I appreciate the input about the illumination quality. Wish I had the money for more optics and firearms...

Here is my set up so far.
    IMG_0974.jpg

IMG_0970.jpg

IMG_0312.jpg

I know the 1-4 is set too far back on the AR for CQB situations... I set it for shooting prone. Can't afford two atlas's though so I have a Larue adapter that will attach to my atlas after taking off the AI Spigot adapter. Kind of a pain, so I may just end up springing for a Harris on my AR.