• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Vortex Razor News?

MElank

Private
Minuteman
Apr 23, 2014
Oviedo, Florida
Don’t know how real this is. Looks great though.

Attachments

• 31CE3D18-0D9B-4FA1-A1B4-56B9A0891DFA.jpeg
    31CE3D18-0D9B-4FA1-A1B4-56B9A0891DFA.jpeg
    225 KB · Views: 1,158
The flaw in the spoof is in the reticle options. Mil/BDC MOA both listed as ebr9.

And? The EBR-2C and EBR-7/7B/7C were the same name for both mrad and MOA...

I hope it’s true! Now we just need either an AMG 3-18x (I’d settle for a 4-16x if I HAD to...), or a 22-26ish ounce Razor Gen3 3-18x and 4.5-27x!

0EEA34CF-8A8A-4B3B-8AED-06729FA8C616.png

@MElank got a link to the original reddit post?

Edit: yeah, yeah, charge my phone...

Last edited:
Assuming it is still roughly the same price as the Gen II, I may have to get one.
Awesome if they skipped 1-8.

I need something to replace my NX8 1-8 so I hope this is true. A 3-18 AMG would be slick as hell too.

Its not on their web sight. Its not real. See at the bottom where it said Vortexoptics.com like that is where it at, it aint there, go look.

AMG is 4x zoom. Unless they did something like the XTRIII, where they have however many times erector, but didn't use all the travel. I would think a 3-18 would be an entire new line. Not that I wouldn't be interested in a 3-18 or 3-12 AMG.

Last edited:
Ha the original post was deleted. To me that means it’s either fake and was shamed into removal or real and not supposed to be released yet.

Looks like a product release page sent to dealers/industry that got leaked. This is why dealers can never share info with anyone in the general public. One little piece of info and someone is blabbing to everyone what they know.

Reactions: 2ndamendfan
I bet it’s real. If so a very impressive package! Would make me rethink my nx8 where the atacr feature set doesn’t really make me second guess.

@Basher
All I’m trying to point out is the bdc portion of the moa option. I suppose it’s possible they would do a bdc reticle with moa turrets, but why would that be listed under reticle options? That and the fact that ebr9 mil says nothing about anything to do with bdc. So how is a ebr9 a bdc and not simultaneously? The gen 2 has the JM-1 bdc and the VMR offered in both mil and moa.

Anyway, we’ve both got our eyes on the real prize, the 3-18 AMG.

Ah, gotcha. Perhaps (if real) they're only offering a BDC in MOA adjustments? Nobody uses BDC anything in mrad, but lots of BDC options in MOA out there. Just a thought, but I see where you're coming from now. Either way, fingers crossed on a smaller, lighter AMG option!

Its not on their web sight. Its not real. See at the bottom where it said Vortexoptics.com like that is where it at, it aint there, go look.

AMG is 4x zoom. Unless they did something like the XTRIII, where they have however many times erector, but didn't use all the travel. I would think a 3-18 would be an entire new line. Not that I wouldn't be interested in a 3-18 or 3-12 AMG.

I checked last night as well, but just because it isn't on the site now doesn't necessarily mean it isn't real. It could very easily be in a "safe" web environment for now until it's officially announced, at which point it would be put on the live site. And I hear you on the AMG, hence my comment about being OK with a 4-16x if that's what came out. A 3-18x would be friggin' amazing, but a 4-16x would be acceptable if they got the size and weight down a little. I have a PST2 for my SPR, but also have a Vortex 50% off cert and am trying to decide if I should get a Razor for it instead. I'll obviously wait until after SHOT to do anything, just in case, but a 4-16x AMG would be a much better option on a small-frame AR than the current Razor Gen2 offerings based on weight (though I'll do it if nothing better surfaces this year).

Word from two Vortex shooters I know is that these have been in testing over a year, and info was sent to dealers to be released the 10th. One of them jumped the gun and probably won't be a dealer anymore.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: SD Carpenter
If true, and that's a big if....I'll buy one right away. Been hoping for Razor HD GenII in 1-10 mil reticle with illuminated center dot to replace my 1-6.

Whats wrong with a sunshade? Vortex probably noticed people at matches were buying kydex sunshades like crazy and thought they'd get in on it.

I'm going to have to seriously look at one of these. I have a Bushy 1-8.5x and I'm always on the fence if FFP for LPVO is better than SFP and what the magnification cut-off is when one is definitively better than the other. Seems a lot of folks like 1-6 SFP but when it goes to 1-8x more folks are in the FFP camp. Thus, I think SHOT will have a lot of interesting LPVO options (or at least I'm hoping so).

Everyone skeptical in this thread would do well to take advise from Ilya's post ;)

So close . . .

I don't understand why the objective can't be just a bit larger. 10x is great, but not with a 2.4mm exit pupil . . .

So close . . .

I don't understand why the objective can't be just a bit larger. 10x is great, but not with a 2.4mm exit pupil . . .

There are many good reasons why the objectives on LPVO scopes are fairly small. Going bigger while maintaining quality and ease of use with a large erector ratio is really tricky. It all comes down to what compromises you want to make.

ILya

Wouldn't the eye box at 10x on a 1-10 be absurdly tiny?
And I thought the Mark 8 CQBSS came with a really long sunshade didn't it? So not too out of the question.

I may be wrong on both fronts though.

Wouldn't the eye box at 10x on a 1-10 be absurdly tiny?
And I thought the Mark 8 CQBSS came with a really long sunshade didn't it? So not too out of the question.

I may be wrong on both fronts though.

It is a larger exit pupil than 5-25x56 on 25 power. Just like with higher magnification scopes, 10x is there for when the conditions are right, both in terms of light and shooting position.

ILya

Reactions: Basher
It is a larger exit pupil than 5-25x56 on 25 power. Just like with higher magnification scopes, 10x is there for when the conditions are right, both in terms of light and shooting position.

ILya
Thank you for the clarification.

There are many good reasons why the objectives on LPVO scopes are fairly small. Going bigger while maintaining quality and ease of use with a large erector ratio is really tricky. It all comes down to what compromises you want to make.

ILya

Thank you, Ilya. Understood, and much appreciated. I can now better appreciate the design complexities with LPVOs and objective size. That said, I can't argue with scope manufacturers deciding that exit pupil compromises are the least invasive to the consumer.

Would I buy a 1-10x40mm scope if it had a 50mm main tube, weighed 30 ounces, and cost 3k? Nope. I would most likely choose a higher magnification scope, and run a micro red-dot or even BUISs for close-up work.

Thanks again

Reactions: Scott_at_Vortex
...10x is there for when the conditions are right, both in terms of light and shooting position.

ILya

Beat me to it. I'm absolutely interested, as I've been thinking of building a DMR type rifle next, so I'll have to see how this shakes out compared to the 1-6x, but I'd imagine most of my work would be in the 6-8x range, with 10x being for daylight conditions where I can lay prone and get nice and comfy behind the rifle. As always, I'll be watching the reports from SHOT closely this year. :)

Beat me to it. I'm absolutely interested, as I've been thinking of building a DMR type rifle next, so I'll have to see how this shakes out compared to the 1-6x, but I'd imagine most of my work would be in the 6-8x range, with 10x being for daylight conditions where I can lay prone and get nice and comfy behind the rifle. As always, I'll be watching the reports from SHOT closely this year. :)

That's pretty much how I end up using LPVOs. I have spent a lot of time with with various 1-8x and 1-10x scopes over the years (keep in mind that March has had 1-10x24 SPF and 1-8x24FFP out for a long time) and the way my usage sorta converges on is something along these lines:

1x what you really need to go fast
2x to 3x when I have to take a more deliberate unsupported shot
4x to 6x when I have a supported position, but the light sucks
above 6x when I have a reasonable supported position and the light doesn't suck.

A lot of people only use the lowest and the highest power, but for me, that works OK up to 1-6x or so. For higher magnifications, I end up using the intermediate settings a lot.

ILya

Thank you, Ilya. Understood, and much appreciated. I can now better appreciate the design complexities with LPVOs and objective size. That said, I can't argue with scope manufacturers deciding that exit pupil compromises are the least invasive to the consumer.

Would I buy a 1-10x40mm scope if it had a 50mm main tube, weighed 30 ounces, and cost 3k? Nope. I would most likely choose a higher magnification scope, and run a micro red-dot or even BUISs for close-up work.

Thanks again

You are welcome.

I am one of those weird people who uses LPVOs to shoot pretty far out just because it is fun (and because I take perverse pleasure from setting up an innocent looking 18" barreled AR-15 on the range next to some mall ninja with a ten thousand dollar precision set-up).

It is perfectly doable with 6x or 8x or 10x if the scope is built right and the shooter knows what he is doing.

ILya

I’ve never used a FFP LPVO...is it basically like a red dot on 1x with a usable reticle on 10x? At what mag range does the reticle become large enough to easily use?

I was dead set on buying a Razor 1-6 for a build I’m working on, but this has me stepping back to reconsider. Not that I need 10x on a 13.7” AR, but it’s nice to have and not need often.

Does this mean the rest of the razor lineup is getting an upgrade?

That reticle has me interested. Definitely will be watching this to see how it pans out!

What, no GAME CHANGING Twatter posts like Glocks G44?

We'll see if they can pull off 1-10x24. I hope they can, but we've seen this before

<New Optic Release Announced>

"OMG it's gonna be GREAT...!"

"I'm IN for 5!!!!!''

<1-3 months after release>

WTS The NEW HOTNESS - Decided to "Go in a Different Direction..." Pay MSRP to buy it off me....

LMFAO....

I think it’s legit. And if it’s not. Someone went through a lot of trouble to fake it. If you look really closely. You can see the numbers on the magnification ring. Can’t really make them out. But one is definitely two numbers(10)

I think it’s legit. And if it’s not. Someone went through a lot of trouble to fake it. If you look really closely. You can see the numbers on the magnification ring. Can’t really make them out. But one is definitely two numbers(10)
Its real, I know at least one person that has one in hand.

This thing will sell out faster than hot cakes ever could.

Reactions: Mwalex