• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Vortex Razor or Bushnell HDMR

Re: Vortex Razor or Bushnell HDMR

i have owned both, it is a win either way. razor is awesome just has a few details VERY MINOR AND COSMETIC that bother me. not really into the color, crazy tall knobs and 35mm tube is kind of annoying.

I will say however if you want ill. ffp mil based scope and dont want to spend over $2300 there is no better option that i have seen.

I currently run the hdmr because i like the reticle better and i don't need the illumination. Well and of course i am kind of a tightwad and its $700 cheaper.

I've never owned a Bushnell so can't comment on them but as far as my Razor I love it. I think the glass at least to me is slightly better than my nightforce.the turrets are easy to manipulate with clicks being very solid and it has always tracted prefect, the zero stop is easy to set up and works as it should.

the one downside is the eyebox its really tight and takes some getting used to but since I only shoot paper and steel (no matches) its not that big of a deal.

take a look at both and buy what you want the first time.

Id pick the HDMR. I had a Razor. As much as I wanted and tried to like it, I just couldn't. Vortex was great to deal with on the issues my scope had.

I currently own the HDMR with G2. I love it but wanted Illumination and Zero Stop so was thinking about snatching a Razor for my latest build.

I just grabbed one in the FS section. The 35mm tube is the only thing that really annoys me.

Vortex is illuminated which is nice for shooting night comps. Other than that very comperibale

My how Bushnell has evolved....

It's (at least the HDMR) is being compared to the Razor. That's wild.

I keep debating the HDMR as well, but still on the fence.

I have both. I prefer the razor.

The razor has much better glass (Both get the job more than done on steel out to 1000yds)

The HDMR seemingly has a slightly better eyebox.

The size of the razor elevation turret is retarded in size and bothers me.

The reticles are so close. They are both awsome. Need more time between the two to decide with one is better.

I hate 5MILs per rev thus my razor has 10. If your going to have 5mils per rev I think you would like a zero stop.

If you aren't going to dial much, and are just going to use hold over; with the fine reticles the 2 scopes have then I would save the few hundred bucks and just get the HDMR.

Both seem tough as hell. Also don't worry that the razor has a 35mm tube. I have seekins rings for it and they are great.

I like the 5 mil turns my Razor has, I also cannot under no circumstances ever own another scope without a zero stop, I like the size of the Bushnell, but that's about it.

For me, the difference comes down to zoom range.
The Razor is limiting on both ends. I don't believe 4x is going to last very long when 6x, 7x, and 8x (and MORE) are becoming available.

The 4-30 Bushnell, when compared to a 5-20 Razor is a no brainier for me...especially when everything else is so close by comparison. That feature range sticks out like a sore thumb.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: c_bass16</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For me, the difference comes down to zoom range.
The Razor is limiting on both ends. I don't believe 4x is going to last very long when 6x, 7x, and 8x (and MORE) are becoming available.

The 4-30 Bushnell, when compared to a 5-20 Razor is a no brainier for me...especially when everything else is so close by comparison. That feature range sticks out like a sore thumb. </div></div>

This is why I put half down on a 4.5-30 with the h59.

And the new HDMR's have 10 mil per turn with zero stop, no illumination yet, so if that is a must, answers simple.

Trying not to derail the thread...but...I have a HDMR. I have had several other big name scopes. I believe the HDMR is the best bang for the buck at this time. My question is what about an ARD for the HDMR? This goes to the opposite spectrum in reference to the illumination question. I just don't like a big honking sunshade hanging off of the end of my scope. Any takers? Thanks for your input.

-Al