• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Vortex Razor or Nightforce NX8?

MMH

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 17, 2013
I need to get a scope that will be used primarily for PRS shooting. I am between a Vortex Razor Gen II 4.5-27 & the Nightforce NX8 4-32 F1. they both in the same price range. By the numbers, the Nightforce seems to win - lighter (by 16 oz.), more magnification range. The Nightforce has a similar elevation range which is surprising as it has a 30mm tube and not a 34mm tube like the Razor. Makes me wonder if the turrets won't feel as good. A couple of guys that shoot a lot of PRS are pushing me towards the Razor.

Looking to get some opinions...

The Razor is a good optic but the weight has always been a big negative for me. I’ll be interested in hearing the opinions of others.

Razor all the way. You are using it for PRS so you want the weight. It works great for the money and do will everything you need it to. If you ever have an issue after beating into positional ports or whatever, Vortex will get it fixed or just get you a new one. I would much rather deal with Vortex for an issue then Nightforce who would probably blame you for "mounting it" wrong.
Vortex Razor is the best scope for PRS IMO.

Reactions: jolofree
Razor all the way. You are using it for PRS so you want the weight. It works great for the money and do will everything you need it to. If you ever have an issue after beating into positional ports or whatever, Vortex will get it fixed or just get you a new one. I would much rather deal with Vortex for an issue then Nightforce who would probably blame you for "mounting it" wrong.
Vortex Razor is the best scope for PRS IMO.
What is your reticle preference?

Again laughing at people complaining about weight in the Razor for a PRS scope. People actually ADD dead weight to make rifles heavier!!!! The weight is your friend.

Razor for huge forgiving eye box and reticle. A reason that so many use them for matches. They just plain work.

The Razor is just hard to beat for an all around optic.

Dead nuts reliable
Great Glass
Great Reticle
Turrets are fantastic and easy to use.
Big Forgiving Eyebox
One of if not the best warranties in the industry.

Best Value there is in the optics game. Competes well with optics costing $1k+ more.

Is it the best optic for everyone? No , everyone has their preferences and if you want to get a better scope you can spend more than 2X as much and do it (TT or ZCO).

But for the vast majority of shooters it does everything you need it to do and its reliable. Its why it has been one of if not the most popular long range scopes for almost a decade now.

If you really are concerned about weight, then the AMG is also one of the best crossover optics out there.

It really depends on what your trying to do. PRS? Field Shooting? Hunting? Stalking? Military/LE? Little bit of both? All those things factor into what will work best for you.

For Strickly PRS , The Razor is really hard to beat. If you could get a Minox ZP5 with MR4 for like $2kish, that would be certain upgrade on glass and reticle, but a downgrade on warranty service and turn around. Otherwise Pony up for a ZCO and be done with it. Those are the 3 optics I would spend money on.

The NX8 really does not compare favorably other than its weight to others in this price range. Much better options out there IMO.

Reactions: Newbie2020
Want to guess how we know you never shot comps like the OP is asking about...........
No need to be a dick. Some people don't realize that its build for PRS or comp shooting were weight isn't a issue. Its would not be my first pick to go hunting with that's for sure. PRS yea, Hunting nah.

You will love the Razor for PRS. The eyebox is great. So easy to get behind and see your target.

No need to be a dick. Some people don't realize that its build for PRS or comp shooting were weight isn't a issue. Its would not be my first pick to go hunting with that's for sure. PRS yea, Hunting nah.

You will love the Razor for PRS. The eyebox is great. So easy to get behind and see your target.
First line is

"I need to get a scope that will be used primarily for PRS shooting."

Learning to read will go a long way to better communication.

I've just recently been round and round with myself trying to figure out which scope to put on my new bolt build. I have looked at everything out there and budget wasn't the top consideration. I decided on the AMG because it's such a great all around scope and the reticle vortex offers. Imo, vortex leads the way in reticle offerings. The reticle is very important. I didn't want a really heavy scope either, because while this build is mainly a prs type build, I want it to do other things too and it's already going to be 12lbs with the chassis I'm using. I tried to find a used AMG but couldn't find one with the reticle I wanted so I am about to order one and wait for it. Very hard to beat considering all factors imo.

I like the vortex reticles, I also like their honey badger warranty.

Nightforce seems to rest on its .mil marketing

I like the vortex reticles, I also like their honey badger warranty.

Nightforce seems to rest on its .mil marketing
I may catch some crap for this but why in the world does NF not makes some left MOA reticle's? They'd have sold one more atacr 7-35 if they did... but I suspect they'd sell a whole bunch of em. Vortex's ebr reticles are extremely popular and so is moa. Seems like they'd want to do it??? Of course, Leupold could have done a lot too but seems to come up short a lot.