• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Vortex Razor Review

AJBello

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 8, 2008
Salem, OR
After seeing various reviews (including LL's video review) of the Vortex Razor I was intrigued. Sam@Vortex (and Vortex in general) seem to be listening to the market and responding with product. Not to mention that Scott at Liberty Optics is a Vortex dealer and there just isn't anyone better to buy from in my opinion. All these things, and various favorable posts by SH members, prompted me to call Scott up and get a Razor on the way.

I called Scott around noon yesterday (1300 his time), and asked if it was too late to get a Razor overnighted for a shoot I had planned today. Scott was extremely accommodating and said “no problem”. UPS sure is proud of their early AM overnight shipping, but dammit, I wanted it for today ($111 later)
grin.gif
. As Scott is still out of Seekins rings I also got a set of the 35mm Vortex signature rings along with the scope. Again, Scott was a pleasure to deal with, and I believe they even made a special trip to their UPS hub to get it out on time. THAT is customer service, and I think why so many of us here call Scott if he has what we want.

The scope arrived at my door at 0820 this morning. I was very anxious to check out the scope and get it mounted up and on the road. My initial impression was very favorable. The scope if BEEFY. The 35mm main tube really gives it a stout appearance. While I had some reserves about the color of the Razor, I actually liked it in person. I'm not sure what to call it, kind of a very dark earth brown / gray. Whatever you want to call it, I actually thought it was quite aesthetically pleasing. The knobs felt very nice, with the clicks being very Nightforce like. The zero stop felt very solid and nicely executed with a distinct “STOP”. I like the rubber power ring with raised and angled numbers, and thought the tiny tru-glo rods were a cute touch, although I'm not sure what real practical purpose they serve. The parallax knob had a nice resistance to it but not too stiff. I will second what some others have said though, another 1/4” or so on that knob might be nice. It's a bit stubby as it is. The illumination module is nice and lo-pro. It has very stiff clicks to the point I can not ever imagine it being accidentally turned on. I could do without the Vortex logos on the ocular bell, although they aren't as bad as USO's large advertisement on their objectives (purely a personal preference thing, I just don't care for in your face logos on my scopes). I was initially disappointed that Scott was out of Seekins rings and had to send Vortex rings. However, they appear to be extremely nice and the box says made in USA. No complaints on the rings (although I still prefer Seekins' design).

On to the “glass”... but first a disclaimer of sorts. I am not an optics expert by any means. I don't look at resolution charts or have any set method to test glass. I simply use the scope how I need to use it and see what I see. That's that. I have had USO, NF, Leupold Mk4 and VX-whatevers, Burris XTR, Trijicon, Nikon, and several “lower” brands at various times in my shooting past. All that said, I was somewhat underwhelmed by the Razor. That's the best word I can think of to describe it. The scope actually looked very nice and clear at 15X and below. I thought I noticed a lack of clarity to my eye above 15X and especially at 20X. Im pretty sure this wasn't mirage, as I noticed it the same at home right after mounting and again in the field (temp was about 45 degrees). It wasn't horrible, just an observation that may or may not fit with what others see. The glass and clarity again was very nice overall, and extremely adequate. Perhaps I expected too much with some of the hype about the scope and the “HD GLASS!” that is talked about. Speaking from memory, it looked about the same as what I recall a NF looking like, which isn't bad by any means. My USO was distinctly nicer to my eye (especially at higher powers). My buddy who I was shooting with today has a Leupold Mk4 4.5-14. I compared the two side by side (The Razor on 15X or so and the Leupy on 14X). The Razor appeared a little nicer, but honestly I couldn't see a ton of difference to my eye in those conditions at 500 yards. Again, the Razor glass LOOKS NICE, it just didn't give me much of a “wow” factor that I was hoping for. Regarding the clarity issue I seemed to be having at 20X... I think some of that may be attributed to the extremely unforgiving eye relief / placement at that power. The sweet spot for a full and clear sight picture seemed to be very small. If I moved my head just a little one way or another I would get shadowing. This was definitely annoying and after shooting 10 rounds or so at 20X I dialed down to 15X for the better picture. Perhaps I noticed this more because it was mentioned in other reviews and I was looking for it, I don't know. I do know that I noticed it and I don't recall having that issue as bad with any other higher end scope. In summary on the glass topic: I would put the Razor right around the NF (from memory). Not as nice as USO. A little better than Leupold.

So, I got to the shooting spot around 1000 and met up with my buddy and his cousin. They had already been there for about an hour, as I had to wait on the big brown truck to bring my Razor. I started off by zeroing at 100 yards. I then set the zero stop according to the manual and the Vortex instructional video on YouTube (they have some good stuff on their youtube channel by the way, kudos to Vortex for that). Everything was working great at this point and I was pleased. I ran the scope out to a couple mils elevation and back to the zero stop a couple times just to test it out. It returned to zero fine and had no issues.

We then moved out to 500 yards and started to bang some steel and break some clays. I dialed the 3.7 mils that Ballistic FTE spit out into the scope and was off to the races. We had some nice sun brakes and really lucked out with the weather (anytime you can stay dry in OR in January is a good day!)
wink.gif
. As noted above, I had some slight annoyances about the scope but was overall satisfied with it. One other worth mention though is the holdover dots under and to the sides of the reticle center. These are very faint. Faint to the point that I think they might be a little though to use very effectively. They're nice in the sense that they don't really busy up the sight picture at all, but my vote would be to either get rid of them altogether or make them a bit more distinct.

We started to pack up and I went to dial the elevation turret back to zero expecting to get that satisfying zero stop feeling. Not so. Around 2 mils I encountered some serious resistance and the knob bound up. My mind quickly recalled this thread, My Vortex Experience by Jpipes , in which Jpipes had a similar issue. I backed the knob off a little and tried again, no dice. Man what a kick in the groin that was. Here is my hours old $2,000 scope that now won't work, after a whopping 50 rounds. Needless to say it was a bummer of epic proportions. We packed up our targets and parted ways, and I gave Scott a call on the way home.

As usual, Scott was great to talk to. He was apparently unaware of the issue and Jpipes' previous thread regarding the subject. I talked to him again when I got home after he spoke with Vortex. Apparently there is some sort of small set screw in the elevation turret which is supposed to get some red loc-tite at the factory. Well, some didn't. Scott said that Vortex reports my scope is only the 4th (or so) that has had the issue. Jpipes, 8up (who replied in Jpipes' thread), and now mine... hmmm... so of the 4 scopes that have had the issue three are right here on the Hide?? I'm certainly not saying Vortex is fibbing, I just found it to be an interesting side note!

Scott assures me that in the end he wants me to be happy, and will do what it takes. Again, I think this is why many of us go to Scott. He advised me to call Vortex and get things rolling with their CS, which I did. I called the 1-800 number and got a hold of one of their CS representatives (Julie maybe?). I told her of the issue, to which her initial reply was “We may be able to pay the shipping on that, let me check.” That surprised me honestly. I didn't think that it would even be a question with what I've heard of their CS. Shortly after she came back on and said “Yes, we need to get that in right away.” She said she could e-mail me a return label which I now have. Recalling Jpipes' thread in which he was sent a brand new scope that day, I requested the same. Request denied. She informed me that the only reason they initially did that was because they weren't able to repair them in their facility. Now that they are, all are being returned for repair only. I didn't argue, or ask for a manager, or anything else. I hate doing that with CS reps, and shouldn't have to. While I consider the outcome certainly adequate, it really isn't anything worth writing home about. So in the end I have a broken $2,000 scope and a return shipping label after a couple hours and 50 rounds. She thought the turnaround time would be 2-4 business days, but said she wasn't sure. So if you're expecting to have the same experience Jpipes had with a brand new scope in the mail same day, don't. Apparently that was the exception and not the rule.

I really wanted the Razor to be perfect. I wanted to be so in love with it that I would never long for another scope again. That just wasn't the case. While it was working I thought it was nice, with some minor annoyances. After it quit working I pretty much lost all faith in it, which is extremely disappointing. The more I think about it the more I am leaning towards going a different route. My thought is: If the factory forgot to put red loc-tite on some set screw which locks up my elevation knob, what else did they forget? I'm not sure if I can use my repaired Razor and have any trust in it at all now.

As for the Razor (when it was working) and the Vortex CS: Certainly adequate, but nothing to write home about.
As for Scott and Liberty Optics: A class act as always and a pleasure to deal with.

That's my experience. As always, YMMV (perhaps greatly). Sorry for the long review, but it at least made me feel better about the whole thing. I'd like to hear everyone's opinions on what you would do...? Get it repaired and run it, or go a different route? Thanks... I gotta go print my return shipping label...

Oh, some pics:

A little UPS overnight love courtesy of Liberty Optics:
rz1.jpg

Scope and rings in packaging:
rz2.jpg

Nicely packaged, which some decent accessories:
rz3.jpg

All mounted up:
rz4.jpg

100 yard zero:
rz5.jpg

Pretty nice looking scope:
rz9.jpg

Out at 500 yards:
rz8.jpg

rz7.jpg

View from the "driver's seat":
rz6.jpg

Re: Vortex Razor Review

Bummed to hear of your experience, but thanks for the review and pics! I'm still ordering one, assuming that the minor hiccups get worked out the value is there if the glass is equal to Nightforce and it has FFP, zero stops, illuminated, etc for under $2k.

I'll share my thoughts as well when mine shows up.

J

Sorry to hear of your experience. I would call back and ask to speak with Corey or pm Sam with Vortex. I'm willing to bet that they will make it right ASAP.

I dunno what I would do. It would depend on your financial situation. Someone would buy it from you but you will take a small loss, especially with your $100+ shipping.

In my situation I would run it for a while see how it is after the repair and if I still wasn't happy I'd sell it and get something else.

The CS is good, I can understand her explanation.

So, basically what you are saying is if you use it as a 15x max scope it's pretty nice?

I also want to mention that I think that the Razor, at 20x, forces me to have proper cheek weld and eye relief, and I like that. I consistently shoot at 12-15x with no problems, and use the 20x for "spotting". I think the glass is very, very good, especially at 12-15x. I agree with you about the holdover "pyramid" in that it is very faint.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Onemoretime</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I dunno what I would do. It would depend on your financial situation. Someone would buy it from you but you will take a small loss, especially with your $100+ shipping.</div></div>

Yea no matter what I do I'm gonna eat the $100 shipping. I knew that when I ordered it though. To me it was worth it to have for today. I don't get out to shoot at spots like that enough and wanted to have a nice day with my new scope. Oh well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Onemoretime</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
In my situation I would run it for a while see how it is after the repair and if I still wasn't happy I'd sell it and get something else.</div></div>

Or work with Scott on a straight up return or trade. I will just have a hard time having faith in it now. Really torn at this point...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Onemoretime</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
The CS is good, I can understand her explanation.
</div></div>

I can too, which is why I didn't raise a stink. It's adequate for "good" CS, but not really GREAT. Which is what I was hoping for after reading that Jpipes and 8up had brand new scopes sent their way. In fact, seeing that's how they were handled factored into my decision to buy one in the first place. Just want everyone to know not to expect that. I kinda did and learned the hard way.

So, basically what you are saying is if you use it as a 15x max scope it's pretty nice? </div></div>

Mmmmmmmm... not really, kinda, I dunno. I'll just say that I was much more pleased with how it looked and performed at 15X than 20X (by a decent margin). I'm not saying it's not usable at 20X by any means, I smacked steel several times with it on 20X. TO ME, it just didn't seem as nice cranked up, picture wise and certainly the very unforgiving eye placement.

Great review!

Thanks for taking the time to give thorough explanations on your likes and dislikes. It makes it that much better for the future customer.

Nice pics also! I love the LTR have one myself!!!

When you get it back, I'd keep running the piss out of it. That will be the true test of customer service.

Man....this freakin sucks to say the least. My Razor should be here tomorrow and reading that first hand review just gave me a sick feeling in my stomach. Scott's exact words to me were "you wont regret buying the razor". Well, I hope that I dont, but damn it messes up on you on the first day!!! And I mean not just messed up a little, but messed up to the point that it was virtually unusable. This is not something that Id feel comfortable "trusting my life on". Im supposed to shoot on Saturday and I cant even begin to explain how pissed off I'll be if this scope even thinks about messing up. Im not rich, but I aint hurting either, but $2000 is not chicken feed and I think for that price you should be able to get a piece of mind along with a good scope. Yes Im glad that Vortex has a good reputation of customer service, BUT I dont want to have to use thier CS!! I want my shit to work.

Well, I guess only time will tell for me and mine. I was told that if I didnt like it after I got it to "box it up and send it back" and he'd make it right. I assure you that I will be doing just that if mine has any issues and I WONT BE SHIPPING IT TO VORTEX EITHER!! I bought if from Scott and thats who I'd be sending it back too. I dont want a "repaired" scope and personally I think that is COMPLETE BULLSHIT and speaks very poorly of their CS. If you bought a new Corvette and got half way home from the dealership and the brakes stopped working would you just take it back and have it "repaired"....HELL NO!! You'd go home with a new Corvette.

I have very mixed feelings about this now. Im not saying that my scope will be messed up, but just the whole situation in general does not give me a "warm and fuzzy" feeling for Vortex. When you have a product (top end) like the Razor hitting the market and the hands of shooters I think that it should be treated like a baby in every aspect...tending to its every little need and movement. Being there ready to jump on top of any issue that a shooter may have....and telling a guy that just dropped $2K on Vortex's top line "baby" to send it in for repairs after one day of use is not what I call good parenting.

I considered a Vortex Razor instead of a Premier Heritage.

I feel stupid saying it, but I just didn't get a "warm fuzzy" from that company.

I've had very positive dealings with Premier dating back to Dick Thomas in 2004.

And dealing with Liberty Optics since 2007.

Made the choice pretty easy. Actually a no-brainer.

I would tell them fuck you, send me a new scope or I'll return this one and get my money back, it's a known problem, your not the first person to have this problem, so they should pony up and take care of you ASAP!

Your spot on about Scott, he rocks!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would tell them fuck you, send me a new scope or I'll return this one and get my money back, Your spot on about Scott, he rocks! </div></div>

+1

hmm..been waiting for the reviews on these to start comin in. im happy to see newer companies producing scopes that compete w the better stuff out there. hope it all works out for ya.

Great write up & pics. If not right from the start (just had it out with Dell when they wanted to repair a brand new computer instead of sending another new one) I can agree with request for a replacement. I just hate the waiting for something/excitement and then the crap happens feeling in your stomach when it hits home. Hope things work out & please keep us posted. Anthony

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would tell them fuck you, send me a new scope or I'll return this one and get my money back, it's a known problem, your not the first person to have this problem, so they should pony up and take care of you ASAP!

Your spot on about Scott, he rocks! </div></div>

+2

I don't know, I'd almost rather have a fixed scope. I've found that most items returned to the company and fixed are better than ones that are new in a box. Why you ask?

The next new one will be one from the same factory. Your fixed scope on the other hand will have been taken apart, repaired and tuned by the service department who is most likely going to have a better attention to detail then a factory assembler.

Good to read your review <span style="font-weight: bold">AJBello</span> . I am very close to getting a new scope my self and I am still leaning very hard toward the Vortex Razor.
A lot of times I will read a post of someone slamming scopes that their friends had problems with.
Nice to get some first hand feedback from you on this new Vortex and its turret problem.
I think all scope manufacturers have an occasional bad apple or some kinks to work out of a new product.Hope that is it?
For the 2K price I really hope the Razor becomes a contender in that price range.
Thanks for taking the time to tell your story and for the great pictures.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't know, I'd almost rather have a fixed scope. I've found that most items returned to the company and fixed are better than ones that are new in a box. Why you ask?

The next new one will be one from the same factory. Your fixed scope on the other hand will have been taken apart, repaired and tuned by the service department who is most likely going to have a better attention to detail then a factory assembler.

</div></div>

A valid point, but what if...

Once the fuck up was discovered and addressed the workers got a swift kick in the ass and started doing shit right, like not forgetting the loc-tite in the first place? I still can't get it out of my head that if they forgot that then what else did they screw up / not do / overlook? Maybe one fresh from the factory would be better in the end? Who knows... I think it could go either way. And, if a fresh from the factory one had the same problem after being a known issue for some time... well then Vortex has some huge issues on its hands and I want no part in any of their products.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't know, I'd almost rather have a fixed scope. I've found that most items returned to the company and fixed are better than ones that are new in a box. Why you ask?

</div></div>

+1 An item sent back to the manufacturer and repaired/tuned up will almost always run a little better.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: trevor300wsm</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Im not rich, but I aint hurting either, but $2000 is not chicken feed and I think for that price you should be able to get a piece of mind along with a good scope. Yes Im glad that Vortex has a good reputation of customer service, BUT I dont want to have to use thier CS!! I want my shit to work. </div></div>

Pretty much where I'm at right now. I'm presently having a touch of buyer's remorse over the whole thing (who wouldn't?). I'd bet dollars to donuts if I'd ordered a NF I'd still have a working scope after 50 rounds... or a Leupold for that matter...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: trevor300wsm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I have very mixed feelings about this now. Im not saying that my scope will be messed up, but just the whole situation in general does not give me a "warm and fuzzy" feeling for Vortex. When you have a product (top end) like the Razor hitting the market and the hands of shooters I think that it should be treated like a baby in every aspect...tending to its every little need and movement. Being there ready to jump on top of any issue that a shooter may have....and telling a guy that just dropped $2K on Vortex's top line "baby" to send it in for repairs after one day of use is not what I call good parenting.
</div></div>

The more I think about it, the more I like this analogy. Thanks for sharing.
laugh.gif

AJ,

What can I say, but I m just really sorry about what happened. I know that it is frustrating and we will do whatever it takes to make you happy. I would be pretty ticked off if I were you also.

If you still don't want the scope after your hassle I will completely understand, however I just wanted to offer up a couple of explanations in case that might help make you feel more at ease.

First of all, I know that Julie was just doing her best under the circumstances. After Jpipes thread we got a couple calls from customers who reported the same thing. When we got those scopes back it turned out that in fact there was nothing wrong, the customers had just set the zero stop incorrectly. So, according to what I was told by Corey, we just wanted to get the scope back first to make sure that it was the same problem that Jpipes had before we sent out a new scope. So, if it is in fact the same problem you will be getting a new scope. Corey just wants to actually verify that there is something wrong first.

As to the problem itself, I think that some people's first reaction might be to think that there is something majorly wrong with the scope. In fact, the issue is really very minor. There's nothing wrong with the design of the zero stop, it's simply a minor installation error that unfortunately has turned in to a major headache. Basically, the pin that stops the rotation of the turret is threaded into a brass collar. That pin was supposed to have red loctite put on the threads and there were a few that didn't have that installed for some reason. So, what is happening on a few scopes is that pin is unthreading and falling out. That causes the turret to bind on the way down, because it's pinching the stop pin between the collar and the bottom of the turret. See below image:

StopPin.jpg

Fixing it is extremely easy. It's simply putting red loctite on threads of that pin and screwing it back in. With red loctite on there it's not coming out without putting a torch on it and heating it up until it's scorching hot. The only real issue is that to access the pin we have to remove the turret and that's why we are having them sent back in. Once the repair is done the scope is as good as new.

Now despite that, we are just replacing the scopes if they have this problem, because we don't want people to be waiting any longer than possible while we make the repair.

You can rest assured that we made it abundantly clear to the factory that this was absolutely unacceptable and told them they need to be absolutely perfect in every aspect of putting this scope together. They have assured us it won't happen again. We are also in the process of determining which serial numbers have the issue so that we can do our best to deal with all of them.

Anyway, I guess that is enough excuses from me. Excuses don't change the past, I can only try to do whatever is necessary from this point forward to make things as right as possible.

Bottom line is that making our customer happy is our top priority and I'm am just very sorry that this happened to you. This is a really unfortunate incident and I wish that there was a way we could have avoided giving you the hassle in the first place. At this point I can say that we will do whatever it takes to make things right and get you a perfect working scope ASAP.

If there is anything else that I can do just send me an email or a PM and I will take care of it.

-Sam

AJ I totally agree on your comment about having gotten a NF that you prolly would still have a working scope. Im going to be honest here. I was really torn about making the choice to buy the Razor. I wanted all the features that it offers and I also want to give Vortex a chance at my business and see if their product is up to par with NF. That being said, I called Bear Basin Optics monday morning, where I get my NF's, and was ready to pull the trigger on a NF 5.5-22X50 with Mil/Mil and recticle, BUT they did not have any in stock and told me 3-4 weeks wait time. I hung up the phone and pondered a moment and decided "screw it" I'll just take a gamble and go for the Razor and with a phone call to Scott and 10 min later it was done. All that kept me from going NF was the fact that Bear Basin was out of stock.

Im going to call Scott in the morning and get some clear info from him on what to expect on a return/refund should I have any issues before I ever unbox this scope and it automatically becomes "used" in the eyes of the manufacturer. If there is going to be any problem at all with a full refund then I wont even open the box. Im not gonna get "stuck" with it SHOULD it turn out to be defective once Ive tested it out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: trevor300wsm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">AJ I totally agree on your comment about having gotten a NF that you prolly would still have a working scope. Im going to be honest here. I was really torn about making the choice to buy the Razor. I wanted all the features that it offers and I also want to give Vortex a chance at my business and see if their product is up to par with NF. That being said, I called Bear Basin Optics monday morning, where I get my NF's, and was ready to pull the trigger on a NF 5.5-22X50 with Mil/Mil and recticle, BUT they did not have any in stock and told me 3-4 weeks wait time. I hung up the phone and pondered a moment and decided "screw it" I'll just take a gamble and go for the Razor and with a phone call to Scott and 10 min later it was done. All that kept me from going NF was the fact that Bear Basin was out of stock.

Im going to call Scott in the morning and get some clear info from him on what to expect on a return/refund should I have any issues before I ever unbox this scope and it automatically becomes "used" in the eyes of the manufacturer. If there is going to be any problem at all with a full refund then I wont even open the box. Im not gonna get "stuck" with it SHOULD it turn out to be defective once Ive tested it out.

</div></div>

Trevor,

We'll make sure you don't get stuck with a "used" scope if it's defective. We want you to be happy with your purchase.

-Sam

Most interesting revue, thanks! Just a thought though, if they sent you a new scope how would you know if this little screw was loctited on the replacement? Get yours back,bitch and grumble the appropriate amount, and run the hell out of it. If this is their major issue you should be GTG. Broke stuff sucks regardless.

Thanks for that post Sam, I was hoping that you were going to chime in and give your opinion. With your pics and your post I see that it is a relativley simple problem, but a problem none the less. Im glad that it has been identified and addressed.

It would be nice to know what serial numbers in the production line that did not recieve the red locktite. Sine AJ and myself both got ours from Scott one day apart I feel pretty certain that mine may have this issue as well, unless the stock that Scott recieved was just random units produced at different times to make up a shipment.

AJBello, still sorry to hear about your issues, I'm sure that you're a little peeved to say the least. My advice for what it's worth, sleep on it, get the scope back, run it hard and then decide if you're keeping it or not.

trevor300wsm, I think you're overreacting just a hair, you don't even have your scope yet and you're already calling the guy you bought it from to see how he's going to deal with your "possible" return. You go into any purchase with that attitude and you're not going to be happy. The mind starts to make issues up when you think there must be one there.

I bought a new F150 that had to go back to the dealer 3 times cause the gas gauge didn't work. They fixed it, it's a great truck and I still like Fords. Amazingly enough the head of R&D and Engineering for Ford didn't jump on an internet forum and address my issues personally, shit the service manager wouldn't even give me the time of day. Here you have Sam@Vortex (head of R&D and Engineering) apologizing, explaining the issue and telling you how he's going to make it right. He even provided a blown up CAD drawing of the product.....when other manufacturers won't even tell you what parts are in yours....Sam is using full disclosure and making no excuses.

Anyway, think what you will about Vortex, they haven't lost my future business....yet again they've probably earned more trust that this issue will get worked out.

Sam@Vortex; Excellent job watching after your customers!! Glad to see as not too many companies will do so. Anthony

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sam@Vortex</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...........Once the repair is done the scope is as good as new.

Now despite that, we are just replacing the scopes if they have this problem, because we don't want people to be waiting any longer than possible while we make the repair..........

-Sam </div></div>

If you want someone to run the piss out of one of the ones you've fixed and are now used scopes I'd be happy to do it for you, pro bono
wink.gif

I appreciate the time and effort that AJBello and Sam@Vortex have taken to help inform the rest of us. It's great how many manufacturers and retailers are becoming such excellent examples of CS (not only on the fixing and standing behind end, but on the listening to the market's wants end too). Its also great to see lots of positives lately come from buyers posting their objective experiences, warts and all, for the betterment of product available to the community.

If the local demand for dirtwork hadn't evaporated this past year I'd definately have been one to try the Razor out.

Thanks again for the honesty on both end guys!

Thank you very much for the measured and extensive review. In regards to fact that 3 out of the 4 claimed failures have happened to people on this site, I would assert that perhaps vortex has not sold many of these scopes outside of the internet shooting community. My local Vortex dealer up here didn't even know that they had comeout with a tactical model. I would also assert that of the people that are buying them, how many are actually running them through the paces. 50%? 25%? (I would think the latter might be closer to the truth than the former.)

All new products have hicups, but I think it is important to establish context in describing them and in determining whether or not a company was premature in bringing them to market. For instance, Premier took a lot of heat for the clicks issue, which although an inconvienience, did not put the scope out of opperation. Contrast that with your scope, which was made inoperable after 50 rounds because of a screw that worked loose. Now I will preface this with the disclaimer that I know next to nothing about optical engineering, but should the proper fucnction of an optic be contingent upon the bonding ability of red locktite? Now don't get me wrong, red lock tite is great stuff, but this type of occurance doesn't exactly instill confidence. This scope is on the short list for a funding contingent 2010 purchase, so please keep the rest of us informed about its performance after repair.

Fuck.

I also just ordered one of these things from scott as well. I'm sure I'll end up with a working scope regardless, but I'm not the type of guy that likes pulling my scopes out the the rings to send the fucker in for warranty work. ... thats why I spend as much as I do on them. I sure as hell don't like waiting for things. ... least of all, waiting for something I bought while being assured it was the best... to come back from the factory.

So how can I tell whether or not my scope has loctite on it? Is there a code on the outside or some shit that says its been assembled correctly?

A few people have had this problem, so I wonder how many came through the line without loctite? I'm left to wonder, how long will it be before the damn screw decides to turn on mine?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">AJBello, still sorry to hear about your issues, I'm sure that you're a little peeved to say the least. My advice for what it's worth, sleep on it, get the scope back, run it hard and then decide if you're keeping it or not.

trevor300wsm, I think you're overreacting just a hair, you don't even have your scope yet and you're already calling the guy you bought it from to see how he's going to deal with your "possible" return. You go into any purchase with that attitude and you're not going to be happy. The mind starts to make issues up when you think there must be one there.

I bought a new F150 that had to go back to the dealer 3 times cause the gas gauge didn't work. They fixed it, it's a great truck and I still like Fords. Amazingly enough the head of R&D and Engineering for Ford didn't jump on an internet forum and address my issues personally, shit the service manager wouldn't even give me the time of day. Here you have Sam@Vortex (head of R&D and Engineering) apologizing, explaining the issue and telling you how he's going to make it right. He even provided a blown up CAD drawing of the product.....when other manufacturers won't even tell you what parts are in yours....Sam is using full disclosure and making no excuses.

Anyway, think what you will about Vortex, they haven't lost my future business....yet again they've probably earned more trust that this issue will get worked out. </div></div>

No im not over reacting....I hope my scope is fine. My only reason for saying what I did about the return was some, if not alot, of companys will gladly service/exchange a product for you if there is something wrong with it, but they are very unwilling to give you a refund once you have used their product and when I say used I mean just openign the box and handling it. I bring this up because its happened to me in the past and I just want to avoid any future upset or misunderstanding on MY part.

Yes I think it says alot about Sam as a Rep and his willingness to make the customer happy to get on here and say what he did and provide the pic like he did. Im very appreciative of that. Im not trying to bash this scope or Vortex at all, but Im not gonna defend them yet either. Taking a step back and looking at this in perspective I can see how this could easily be a isolated incedent thats easily fixable. I have faith that they will make me and eveyone else happy.

Just so you guys know, I was still typing before Sam posted. It is customer service like that has vortex up there on the to buy list for me, despite issues like this.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Norwiscutter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thank you very much for the measured and extensive review. In regards to fact that 3 out of the 4 claimed failures have happened to people on this site, I would assert that perhaps vortex has not sold many of these scopes outside of the internet shooting community. My local Vortex dealer up here didn't even know that they had comeout with a tactical model. I would also assert that of the people that are buying them, how many are actually running them through the paces. 50%? 25%? (I would think the latter might be closer to the truth than the former.)

All new products have hicups, but I think it is important to establish context in describing them and in determining whether or not a company was premature in bringing them to market. For instance, Premier took a lot of heat for the clicks issue, which although an inconvienience, did not put the scope out of opperation. Contrast that with your scope, which was made inoperable after 50 rounds because of a screw that worked loose. Now I will preface this with the disclaimer that I know next to nothing about optical engineering, but should the proper fucnction of an optic be contingent upon the bonding ability of red locktite? Now don't get me wrong, red lock tited is great stuff, but this type of occurance doesn't exactly instill confidence. This scope is on the short list for a funding contingent 2010 purchase, so please keep the rest of us informed about its performance after repair.
</div></div>

Long post made short, I can argue everyone of your conclusions. I can show you more than 4 people that had Premiers fail and all are members of this site. Also how many Premiers do you think have been sold to guys who aren't members of this site, really? I'd also guess that any scope could be rendered inoperable by the wrong screw loosening, but like you I'm not an optics engineer.

Not saying anything you said is wrong and not implying Premiers aren't great scopes too, but all things mechanical can and will have issues, it's how you deal with them that counts. See the guy bashing the Hensoldt the other day, top of the top....but I'm not selling mine because 1 guy had issues.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Michael Aos</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I considered a Vortex Razor instead of a Premier Heritage.

I feel stupid saying it, but I just didn't get a "warm fuzzy" from that company.

I've had very positive dealings with Premier dating back to Dick Thomas in 2004.

And dealing with Liberty Optics since 2007.

Made the choice pretty easy. Actually a no-brainer. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sam@Vortex</div><div class="ubbcode-body">AJ,

What can I say, but I m just really sorry about what happened. I know that it is frustrating and we will do whatever it takes to make you happy. I would be pretty ticked off if I were you also.

If you still don't want the scope after your hassle I will completely understand, however I just wanted to offer up a couple of explanations in case that might help make you feel more at ease.

First of all, I know that Julie was just doing her best under the circumstances. After Jpipes thread we got a couple calls from customers who reported the same thing. When we got those scopes back it turned out that in fact there was nothing wrong, the customers had just set the zero stop incorrectly. So, according to what I was told by Corey, we just wanted to get the scope back first to make sure that it was the same problem that Jpipes had before we sent out a new scope. So, if it is in fact the same problem you will be getting a new scope. Corey just wants to actually verify that there is something wrong first.

As to the problem itself, I think that some people's first reaction might be to think that there is something majorly wrong with the scope. In fact, the issue is really very minor. There's nothing wrong with the design of the zero stop, it's simply a minor installation error that unfortunately has turned in to a major headache. Basically, the pin that stops the rotation of the turret is threaded into a brass collar. That pin was supposed to have red loctite put on the threads and there were a few that didn't have that installed for some reason. So, what is happening on a few scopes is that pin is unthreading and falling out. That causes the turret to bind on the way down, because it's pinching the stop pin between the collar and the bottom of the turret. See below image:

StopPin.jpg

Fixing it is extremely easy. It's simply putting red loctite on threads of that pin and screwing it back in. With red loctite on there it's not coming out without putting a torch on it and heating it up until it's scorching hot. The only real issue is that to access the pin we have to remove the turret and that's why we are having them sent back in. Once the repair is done the scope is as good as new.

Now despite that, we are just replacing the scopes if they have this problem, because we don't want people to be waiting any longer than possible while we make the repair.

You can rest assured that we made it abundantly clear to the factory that this was absolutely unacceptable and told them they need to be absolutely perfect in every aspect of putting this scope together. They have assured us it won't happen again. We are also in the process of determining which serial numbers have the issue so that we can do our best to deal with all of them.

Anyway, I guess that is enough excuses from me. Excuses don't change the past, I can only try to do whatever is necessary from this point forward to make things as right as possible.

Bottom line is that making our customer happy is our top priority and I'm am just very sorry that this happened to you. This is a really unfortunate incident and I wish that there was a way we could have avoided giving you the hassle in the first place. At this point I can say that we will do whatever it takes to make things right and get you a perfect working scope ASAP.

If there is anything else that I can do just send me an email or a PM and I will take care of it.

-Sam </div></div>

(sarcasm on)Yeah, hard to like a company and get a "warm fuzzy" feeling from a company when one of the top dogs from said company comes on a thread to help explain a situation and offer help. Yeah, Vortex's CS totally sucks.(sarcasm off) I mean what more do you guys want, the owner of Vortex to fly out that day and assure you, you will be taken care of?????

I did not know about the Premiers going down in similar fashion, and I would agree that the pool of Premier owners outside of the SH/internet community is even smaller(on a pecentage basis) than that of vortex. I simply have not scene a thread dedicated to the premier issue in a fashion similar to this one. PM me a link, or a description of the problem, so that I know what to look out for.

My main issue with the vortex at this point would be not knowing if my scope had been correctly assembled. Waiting for your gear to go down is not a pleasant experience, so hopefully a definitive serial number range can be identified. If not, I am sure that Vortex would be willing to do a once over for a customer that wanted to take the time to have it done.

Sam, thanks for chiming in and letting us know the full details of the issue and how it's being addressed. Your direct involvement on SH definitely factored into my initial decision to buy Vortex. I suspect it has the same effect on many other members.

Sending you a PM regarding my scope...

AJ...you know what really pisses me off? You were shooting while I had to work today!!
laugh.gif

Glad the weather held out for you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Norwiscutter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I did not know about the Premiers going down in similar fashion, and I would agree that the pool of Premier owners outside of the SH/internet community is even smaller(on a pecentage basis) than that of vortex. <span style="font-weight: bold">I simply have not scene a thread dedicated to the premier issue in a fashion similar to this one. PM me a link, or a description of the problem, so that I know what to look out for.</span>
My main issue with the vortex at this point would be not knowing if my scope had been correctly assembled. Waiting for your gear to go down is not a pleasant experience, so hopefully a definitive serial number range can be identified. If not, I am sure that Vortex would be willing to do a once over for a customer that wanted to take the time to have it done. </div></div>

Folks actually having the intestinal fortitude and integrity to actually post objective experiences with high end products is a relatively new phenomenon here (and a much needed good thing). Historically you would buy a high dollar piece of kit that was recommended as teh best shit on earth, have a problem, then ask a question about the problem and people would secretly PM you and share that they too had problems. Its good to see folks be able to objectively discuss issues without "bashing" companies or products, just share their experience so we all can have a real database.

By the way, is Eliason's still open in St Germain? Years back I lived in the chalet style house straight across Little St Germain from the Musky Queen Lodge. Skiied with the Plum Ski-ters in Minoqua as a kid........

And Premier 3-15's were going down in matches a month prior to your registration date here.

I do have to agree, it is rare, and I don't know if I've EVER seen it happen like there, where the manufacturer actually shows up in a forum and explains the reason for the failure... with a picture even.

That says something.

I just cringe at the thought that this might happen to my new $2k optic.

AJBello, and Hiders,

Sorry for the slow replies to PMs and lack of postings, I've been buried since returning from SHOT and I see I've been missing alot.

AJBello,

Great post, you are a fine writer and I could definitely "feel" the day's experience.

In this business, I've learned that good relationships are everything, both with customers and manufacturers/suppliers. These relationships achieve various levels. I don't hold anyone in higher regard on a personal and professional level than the staff at Vortex. No other company displays the passion, honesty and openness that these guys do. Liberty Optics selling Vortex is a natural fit because I know these guys are staying up right now losing sleep over this issue just like I am BECAUSE THEY CARE ABOUT YOU and THEY CARE ABOUT THEIR PRODUCT, and THEY CARE LESS ABOUT LINING THEIR POCKETS AND PUFFING OUT THEIR CHESTS SAYING HOW GOOD THEY ARE than any other tactical optic manufacturer I've met since I've been doing this.

Anyone with open eyes here on the Hide can see this.

I support Vortex, I support my assessment of the Razor, and I accept what the issue is here as gospel. That is called trust.

However, this post is about, you the customer, both AJBello and the other guys who just bought from us.

I've been doing this going on 7 years now and I am accountable that many of you TRUST me to give you my recommendation or my no holds barred no BS assessment of what you might spend your hard earned money on. I accept that my suggestion may tip the scales in which direction you go. I cherish this relationship with you guys. I work hard at culling the wheat from the chaff so you make better decision the first time you buy.

You guys bought the Razor based on my recommendation, which was gleaned from my experience, inside info, and first hand viewing of the guts of not only the Razor but the premium competitors it was designed to beat, as well as the little design improvements that no other scope provided. I'm a shooter too, and I appreciated what the Razor offered and I also know the extensive testing the scope had undergone before being released.

Having said that, I know what entails going to the range, loading the ammo, targets, muffs, weapon(s), taking the time to drive and setup, sighting in, learning about the guns and optics capabilities, discovering what works and what doesn't, and just having a blast burning powder. Nothing puts a damper on a good day at the range like having an equipment malfunction that is not fixable in the field. Add in the cost of the scope, rings and shipping and I'd have a few choice expletives if this happened to me, and something might get kicked too. Seriously, I feel your pain.

AJBello, my suggestion, since Sam so graciously and painfully (coming from a IOR SH 3-18 original dealer, I know how hot the Hide spotlight can burn) explained the problem, is to give the scope another try; but that is entirely up to you. Another well known manufacturer of "not cheap" scopes that is popular here is famous for taking scopes back that have issues and getting them tuned just dandy. I assure you your scope will be gone over with a fine toothed comb. I too want to trust my scopes in a life or death level scenario, but fortunately, this does not appear imminent in your case, so perhaps you have some time to give the scope another workout before making the decision.

Regardless, I don't feel good about having you pay that hefty shipping fee and having an end result like you did. While I can't control the loss of your time and ammo, I can control your monetary outlay with us. Your $111 has been refunded, so at least that little sick feeling in your stomach might have a little Tums now!
smile.gif

As for where we go from here, you know how to get ahold of me.

For you other guys, if you are truly still scared off your incoming Razors by what you read here, just return ship for a full refund. No questions asked. But, I will say, if you want to maximize the performance of your personal rifle, no matter the caliber/situation, I think you are seriously making a big mistake.

But, as always, you're the boss.
smile.gif

Scott

Thank you for posting up Scott. This is what I was hoping to hear from you and you did exactly that almost word for word.

Greatly appreciated sir,