• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

vortex scope zerostop question

ibanezboy21

Private
Minuteman
Apr 8, 2012
Hi all,

I'm relatively new to mounting a new scope and sighting in (havent done it in years..)

i've just purchased a new vortex scope with a zero stop

Ive read the instruction several times and watched several youtube videos, i just to confirm if im setting it properly
  • mount new scope to rifle
  • turn outer turret all the way down until you cant go further
  • unscrew outer turret and remove it from inner turret
  • unscrew inner turret (this allows you to adjust as required but you just dont get the clicking noise?)
  • adjust as required to get crosshair to bullet hole
  • once confirmed i tighten screws to inner turret (this allows it to make clicking noises again?)
  • put outer turret back on and tighten making sure the '0' lines up
so the zero stop only engages if the inner turret screws are tightened? if they are not i could still move crosshair up and down to adjust at the shooting range?

thanks all

Short answer yes, but with inner screws loose you must adjust from inner turret as reinstalling outter turrent would click, but make no adjustments.

Long answer, there is a cylinder, over a cylinder over a cylinder. The purpose of the outer most cylinder is to have markings that align the zero marking to the index mark on scope- this is removed.

The next cylinder is the zero stop itself, this cylinder bottoms out against the scope body on the second step you list and includes the click mechanism.

The inner cylinder screws up and down physically moving the reticle to sight in rifle. If you do not loosen the inner set screws it can not go lower because it is attached to middle cylinder that is bottomed out and moving it up would back off middle cylinder that is zero stop.

Tip, if you want a zero stop with a little adjustment to make readjusting for different ammo, altitude, etc. easier. After step two back off 10-15 clicks.

When done your zero mark will be correct, but you will have a little adjustment past zero.

If you need to change zero, just zero without touching anything, loosen outer screws, align zero marking and retighten.

Thanks, it will help me as well. I just zeroed a new scope today. Vortex Razor Gen II 4.5-27x56. Now I have to reset the zero on the scope. Thx

C14C86A2-3536-4FE6-9020-5A1F169A5ED6.jpeg

Long answer, there is a cylinder, over a cylinder over a cylinder. The purpose of the outer most cylinder is to have markings that align the zero marking to the index mark on scope- this is removed.

The next cylinder is the zero stop itself, this cylinder bottoms out against the scope body on the second step you list and includes the click mechanism.

The inner cylinder screws up and down physically moving the reticle to sight in rifle. If you do not loosen the inner set screws it can not go lower because it is attached to middle cylinder that is bottomed out and moving it up would back off middle cylinder that is zero stop.
Hi old man,

so if im reading this right instead of the above i should do this instead:
  • adjust outer turret to align crosshair to bullet hole
  • unscrew inner turret
  • turn inner turret all the way down until you cant go further
  • tighten inner turret screw
so basically i cant move the crosshair unless the inner turret screws are tight correct? if they are loose i could move the turret indicator up and down but the crosshair remains in place?

Hi old man,

so if im reading this right instead of the above i should do this instead:

No, you had it correct if you want a dead on zero stop.

If you want a little bit of adjustment past zero stop:
  • turn outer turret all the way down until you cant go further
  • turn outer turrent up 10-15 clicks
  • unscrew inner turret (this allows you to adjust as required but you just dont get the clicking noise?)
  • adjust as required to get crosshair to bullet hole
  • once confirmed i tighten screws to inner turret (this allows it to make clicking noises again?)