• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Vortex scopes

Re: Vortex scopes

I have a Vortex Viper 6.5-20x50 on a 6mmbr one of my PDog shooting guns. For the money its the best glass Ive seen, I only use 2 scopes.... I have 4 NightForce 5.5-22x50 on my long range guns and I use Vortex Viper 6.5-20x50 on my smaller stuff like 6mmbr and 223. The scope track great and the glass is very impressive Ive had this Vortex scope out to 1000yards with the 6mmbr and it tracks Great returning to zero every time and performing flawless on the Box Test. For the price I would consider it the best bang for the buck! Hope this helps, also Scott at Liberty optics is a great guy to deal with and he carries Vortex scopes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Smokin99</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a Vortex Viper 6.5-20x50 on a 6mmbr one of my PDog shooting guns. For the money its the best glass Ive seen, I only use 2 scopes.... I have 4 NightForce 5.5-22x50 on my long range guns and I use Vortex Viper 6.5-20x50 on my smaller stuff like 6mmbr and 223. The scope track great and the glass is very impressive Ive had this Vortex scope out to 1000yards with the 6mmbr and it tracks Great returning to zero every time and performing flawless on the Box Test. For the price I would consider it the best bang for the buck! Hope this helps, also Scott at Liberty optics is a great guy to deal with and he carries Vortex scopes. </div></div>
um, yeah just about verbatim what I was gonna say. you won't go wrong with the Vortex stuff esp. the Vipers

The other two guys already said enough but I wanted to chime in too!! I just can't say enough about the vortex viper! you will not be disappointed!!

would you feel safe putting one on a .308? i have a simmons 44mag, that is a great scope, but the crosshairs are too wide, and there is no option for turrets, only coin slots.

The 6.5-20X50 Viper has covered target turrets. They are very easy to reset to zero too! I would feel more than safe putting one on a .308 as that is what mine is on.

cool, is it a 30mm tube? and how does it compare to say a leupold of the same power and size?

JIC you were looking at the Crossfire (lower end of Vortex's line)... I had two of the 6-24x50 scopes. First one had dead zones on the windage. Second one had dead zones at the bottom. Compared the optics on the second to my Bushnell Elite 3200 Tactical 5-15x40. At 200 yards, I could see bullet holes much more clearly with the Elite at 15x than the Crossfire at 24x. I returned the second Crossfire and will probably just get another Elite 3200.

I have the crossfire in 6-24x50. It is a nice scope fr the money. I have learned my lesson, Falcon is next for me. The glass is ok. I'm not really satisfied with the turrets/adjustments. They just feel kind of sloppy. I bought one because their home office is 15 minutes from my house and they have a lifetime warranty. This will be demoted to my .22 when I can finally swing the Falcon.

I can't speak for the crossfire cause I've never had one but the Viper is GTG! To my eyes the glass in mine is comparable to my Leupy MK4.

I like my Viper. It outperformed the Menace 4.5-18 I had in every way looking at them side by side. A post I made on another site:

<span style="font-style: italic">I had one that I sold. I now have a Vortex Viper (from Scott at Liberty).
The Viper has clearer glass, solid tactile/audible clicks, the knobs and hash marks line up, has a one piece tube, does not "haze" the edges at full mag., and is easily replaced/repaired by Vortex and/or Scott if ever needed. Scott claims to have never had one returned.

The Menace wasn't bad but, the Viper is better IMO. I bought mine from RWS as a demo unit. Robert is a great guy (built my rifle, too) and you should have no issue warranty wise if you buy from him. </span>

One more tidbit, the Diamondback have been absolutely stellar too. It is often overlooked but it shouldn't be. In the 3-9x40, it even has more FOV than the Viper 3-9. The glass is very clear and never taken a return or even a complaint on one since I've been doing this.

Scott

I just received a 6.5-20 Viper with MilDot reticle and am very impressed so far. Will have more info based on further eval soon.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: seaaggie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">would you feel safe putting one on a .308?</div></div>

Lol, my Viper is a 2-7 and sits on a light Tikka M695 is 338 Win Mag. I've yet to have a problem with it so I'd say you're pretty safe with a .308
wink.gif

One more thing I might add, Vortex will do a reticle swap for around $60 too! I went from a fine duplex (All Scott had instock at the time) to a mildot and it only took 1.5 week!
I only have experience with the Vortex Viper cant speak for their other line!