• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes Vortex Skyline 20-60x80 ED

Outlaw45

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 12, 2007
Iowa, USA
I'm looking to get a new spotter. My uses are to spot deer and other game in the field from my truck and also to carry it along in the field while hunting. I also would like to do some digiscoping.

The Razor HD is a little out of my budget, so I'm looking at the Skyline 20-60x80 ED. Anyone have experience with this?

I think the digial camera adapter is pretty nice too. I've looked at the Leupold 12-40x60 but I think the Vortex has a nicer camera adapter.

The Leupold Kenai 25-60x80 looks nice but I don't see a camera adapter.

Re: Vortex Skyline 20-60x80 ED

Just from what I have been reading, I would not buy the Vortex spotting scopes, except for the Razor HD one of course. Whats your budget? I have read numerous times about what a great deal the Konus spotting scope is, take a look at that, its under $300 I believe.

http://www.jarheadtop.com/KONUS.htm

Could you explain what you've heard? I haven't seen much.

I prefer straight verse angled. Will they come out with a straight Razor?

I bought one of the Vortex Skyline 20-60x80 ED's and sent it right back.There inexpensive and the clarity is appropriate to the price.

Steve

To be honest, I cannot find the article I read on the Hide that covered this exact topic. If I ever find it, then I will definitely put it up. I just remember reading it was somewhat of a disappointment for the price and the quality of the usual Vortex products. I think it might have been the glass but I am not sure. Take a look at some Pentax spotting scopes, I heard those are beasts for the price and I believe the price is in your ballpark. I am not by any means a scope expert but I have read a few articles here and there and if I were to buy a decent quality spotting scope, I would go for a Pentax. Hopefully someone else will be able to chime in.

Michael, you're referring to the Vortex right?

Here's the deal, I can get Vortex Skyline - $520. Also the RazorHD for $1300. I can also get Leupold 12-40HD for $900. These are for new items, not used. So I'm trying to decide between the two.

Which would have a better digial camera adapter?

The deal is throught Promotive.com Looking into it for yourselves.

I say save up for the Vortex Razor HD!!! If you were even considering the Leupold for $900, then I'm sure you can wait a month or two to save up for the Razor HD!!! Once you get that, then you dont have to look back and ask yourself if you made the right decision. That is one hell of a deal, $1300!

Has anyone heard if the Razor will be coming out in a straight eyepiece?

I just bought a vortex skyline 20-60X80ED angled with the photo adapter. The scope is very nice, extremely clear and bright. I am looking forward to using it both scouting and hunting this year. The photo adapter is well made, but my point and shoot camera has a hard time getting a full field of view at any setting above 20x.

hueydriver,
How is the size and weight of the scope? Does it seems heavy or large? I'm wanting to pack it in my backpack when hunting.

What are the specs on your camera?

Vortex retail catalog says the RazorHD will be availible in a straight eye piece in late 2010.