• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Vortex SPARC vs. Burris Fast-fire II

Nebraska

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 3, 2006
Nebraska
I’m going to put a red-dot on my Ruger 10/22 and would like to hear some input on the Vortex SPARC vs. a Burris Fast-fire II in terms of overall quality, battery life and low-light performance. Thanks!!

Re: Vortex SPARC vs. Burris Fast-fire II

I have two fast-fires I love them, for the price. I use them on 870 and my 22/45. I have only one complaint they have a crappy repair policy. I had one go out and sent it back with in the year and was told there was a repair fee.

May want to have a look at the Ultradot Match dot if your going with a tube style. Can't comment on the sparc or fastfire cause I don't have one.

Take a look at the Bushnell TRS-25. A very capable red dot that can be had for less than $70 on sale.

Will hold up on a 12 gage, 3 MOA Dot, waterproof to 6-10 feet (?), and will run continuously for 1500 hours on setting 6 of 11 (bright enough for almost all daylight situations). I could not imagine a situation where setting 11 wouldn't be more than enough.

Both sights have their strengths and weaknesses. The SPARC is nice because of the variability. It will come with a number of risers that will allow the shooter to adjust the sight to the proper height. It is also much brighter than the Fastfire and is adjustable. It can be difficult to pick up the dot on the FastFire in very bright conditions. However, the SPARC is relatively bulky and can restrict the FOV. The FastFire has a very low profile and fits nicely on the 10/22. If you will be walking around in the brush I recommend the Picatinny Protector mount.

Chase B.

I run a Vortex Sparc on my AR, took a couple of carbine classes with it , no complaints. Dot is clear and sharp. Great bang for the bucks.

Mike

Thanks guys.....I'll start with the SPARC on my 10/22 and down the road will probably go with the FF II on one of my Ruger Mark IIs.

I have four 10/22's and a Charger, and I own a SPARC and a Fastfire II.

I like that the SPARC has adjustable intensity, the Fastfire II is self-adjusting. I don;t mind self-adjusting, but I would like to be able to choose where it starts.

I like that the Fastfire II is very narrow, and small - the SPARC blocks a lot of view.

The SPARC has the 2x doubler, but I don't think the narrower field of view is a good trade-off for not much magnification, so I don't use it.

My Fastfire II gets used a lot - it rides on a 45 degree mount on my AR, something that doesn't work as well with the SPARC, but in all fairness, that's not what the SPARC is designed for.

For my "boat paddle" 10/22 all weather, I use the Fastfire II, and it is seeing more and more use on my Charger, atop a 1-3x Weaver scope.

They both have their uses, but if I had to pick one to keep, I'd go with the Fastfire II.

If you ever expect to use night vision, no choice - go with the SPARC - it is NV compatible, the Fastfire II is not.

Mark H.

To me the SPAC and the Fastfire are very different RED DOT sights. I have a Fastfire on one of my AR but it is not used as the main sight. The SPAC to me are better made and will perform better. The Fastfire has a little distortion in the image. For the most part they are really nice for the dollar.
We sell both units.

Mike @ CST

Here is my Vortex SPARC on my DPMS LR-308 on a 10 o'clock mount <span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">( I am left handed )</span></span>

IMG_1844.jpg

DSCN0853.jpg

It holds up to the OPS INC brake and .308 in my LR 308.

So a 22lr is a non-issue.

John