• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Vortex SPITFIRE™ HD GEN II 5X can it handle recoil?

264win

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Oct 15, 2008
    whidbey island wa.
    I am looking at this scope for a 12 ga slug gun, but not sure about its durability under heavy recoil. Anyone have this optic on something that kicks ?
    Also open to suggestions of more durable options, that are similar size and weight.

I've got the 3x and the 5x (though I'm not using the 5x) but I've only had em on AR's. That said, I wouldn't think recoil would be an issue for them. Vortex warranty will definitely take care of you if you did have an issue. The eye relief length is the only thing I'd want to make sure of in your situation. It may be fine I just don't know so I'd just check that and then go for it

The eye relief on these is very very short. I would be concerned about getting kissed in the eye on a 12ga slug gun.

Reactions: 264win
    I've used a 1x Spitfire on a 12g with no issues. However, I do agree the eye relief on the 5x is concerning for a 12g. Maybe look at one of their 1-4 or 1-6 riflescopes they all have longer eye relief than the Spitfire 5x.

If you want to pay the shipping, I will send you mine and if you like it then buy it or buy another one and if not send it back if you want to try it out. I'm not using it right now and it's brand new in the box. It's not a big deal for me to sell it just offering so you can try it out without having to buy one

Reactions: camocorvette
    I am looking at this scope for a 12 ga slug gun, but not sure about its durability under heavy recoil. Anyone have this optic on something that kicks ?
    Also open to suggestions of more durable options, that are similar size and weight.
    I have a couple and they’re pretty tough, if they’re built like the old Spitfire 3X Prism. The original ones can handle some serious abuse. I’ve had one on my 14.5” M4 5.56 for over a decade that’s seen thousands of rounds and been beat around in the trucks, side-by-side, etc… Never once lost zero. Glass is ok, too.

Give me about a decade and I can tell you how well the new 5X Gen2 will hold up. 😂

Not sure if they’re still on clearance, but Primary Arms had them for $199 right now ($499 MSRP). I bought a second one just to have a backup at that price.