• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Vortex Spotting Scope

Jackalope33B

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 5, 2010
Sunny Florida
Trying to decide on which scope would be the best bang for my buck. Im eye balling the Vortex Recon R/T that sells foe $699. It has a 15x fixed magnification and is very compact. Also has the ranging reticle in it as well. i like the compactness of the Recon, but wished it was adjustable magnification.
Now the Diamond Spotting Scope. Has 20-60x magnification, a little heavier and cost $399 for the 60mm tube and $499 for the 80mm tube.
How is the glass on both of these scopes? Im leaning more toward the Diamond Back because its $300 cheaper, but I know the compactness will go away.
Also, is the 80mm tube worth the extra $100 increase?

A friend of mine has the Viper spotting scope.it is variable from 15 to 45. Very good glass for the price.

Just found a deal on a Vortex Viper 15-45x65 Angled Spotting Scope for $350!!!! Ummm, yea I think this is a good deal?

The Recon in my opinion is only good for quick field work spotting. Glass is ok but not the greatest. I do carry it with me every time I go hunting as well as kept it in my truck downrange for quick spotting to identify targets. It is handy for that purpose but if your looking for something for range work I would go another route. Have no experience with the other scopes you mentioned.

As has been said MANY times on this forum, Buy Once, Cry Once.

I bought a Vortex Nomad spotting scope. It is fine at the range, spotting hits on paper out to even 200 or 300 yards.

But for spotting misses long range, nope, it does not do the job.

So I went to the far end and picked up a Razor HD 20-60x 85mm. Much larger, much heavier, but MUCH better glass. And you can put in a reticle eyepiece.

The reticle eyepiece is almost as expensive as the Nomad was. :)

I just returned a vortex viper xd. After 2 sessions at long range I sent it back. The chromatic distortion was terrible. A clay pigeon @ 750yd wouldn't focus for anything. There was a constant halo around them. I just got a Bushnell Legend Ultra HD for less money. After the 1st look through it I'm impressed to say the least. HD glass, & BaK4 prism. Look into the Bushnell. I'll have it out for a range session on thurs, & will give another report then.

Yesterday I had the new Bushnell Legend Ultra HD out head to head with my friends Kowa. It's an older one but same power/objective size, etc. Even my friend thought the Bushnell was at least as bright, & clear as his Kowa. He thought it was a tad better actually. And it was 1/3 the price he paid for the Kowa several years ago. The only drawback I saw with the Bushnell was the power adjustment was kind of rough, & stiff, & when focused on a target @ 750yd it came out of focus when you turn the power down. The Kowa stayed in focus when I did the same. The power adjustment on the Bushnell is already getting a little bit easier to turn though so I think in time it will be much better. Comparing it to my buddies new Swarovski from memory I think the clarity was about on par with the modular Swarovski but probably not as bright. I'm looking forward to a direct comparison with the Swarovski soon. But for a little over $400 I'm very impressed with the Bushnell.