• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Vortex Strike Eagle 3-18

Frankr

Private
Minuteman
Aug 15, 2012
WEST
Seeing as the strike eagle scopes are on sale a lot of places and I decided to pick on up for a rimfire gun I have. I decided to do a small review.

Paid something like 325.00 shipped with taxes

Took it out of the box and ran it against the Athlon 4.5-27 Midas btr

Here are my conclusions

Glass- seems close it equal to my Midas btr- (put them on the same magnification for comparison). Color is a little different with the SE being more warm. Dusk performance I would say they are equal but it was easier to get the SE to focus at longer ranges 200+ yards and the Midas at the short range 25-200 yards. Couldn’t see any CA on either of them but that could change when they are mounted and in the field. The fast focus eye piece worked better on the SE for my eyes.

Eyebox. Nod goes to the SE but it will depend once I get it on the rifle

Reticle- target shooting the Midas has a better reticle and fiber lines but for an all around reticle the SE should better. (Note: both are SFP)

Illumination - SE gets the nod but that might be because he lines are heavier

Turrets - the SE turrets are mushier than the Midas but I like the profile better. The SE turrets are stiffer which is good. Neither has a zero stop.

No box test yet. Just have been playing with them out in the sun and dusk.

Durability- no idea.

So far I think it to be one of the better deals for under 350.00 bucks for a scope that goes in something that isn’t that critical. I picked up my Midas btr last year from Cameralandny when they were on sale (which was a great deal) and I decided to try this out for the power range and eyebox.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    373.4 KB · Views: 59
Reactions: HammerForged
How about an update? Have you spent any more time with it and how is it tracking? I'm thinking about one for a prairie dog rifle. Glass quality isn't important just need something that tracks consistently. Thanks!

The tracking on mine has been good (a little mushy at times but serviceable if you don’t dial a lot). A few weeks ago I was able to do a side by side with the vortex Diamondback tactical 6-24 a buddy of mine had.
Glass was about the same between the two but the turrets were better on the Diamondback tactical and I like the FFP reticle better.

the power range and eyebox were better imho on the SE

so it would be a toss up for me between the two of them.

if the Diamondback tactical came in a 3-18 for the SE price of 299 then it would be a no brainer.

Thanks for the update! I will look into the diamondback tactical as well.