• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Vortex Venom 3-15X44 FFP, anyone have one yet?

Petro712

Minuteman
Feb 14, 2017
Minnesota
Anyone have first hand experience with the new Venom 3-15x44 FFP optic from Vortex?

How does it stack up to other glass at the same price point.

Looking to place one on a T1x. The specs are intriguing, especially the 10yd min. focus.

Thanks

I'm also looking to buy one. I have a 0 MOA rail on my tikka CTR 20 in 6.5CM and my current optic can only dial up 8 mils...so I can't dial up to 1k yds. Have to use holds. Bleh.

The new Venom has 36 MIL of elevation to work with. That, zero stop, and the reticle are all winners for me.

I've got a buddy that just put one on a new rifle. I'm waiting on him to give me a range report, I thinking of one of these on a rifle for my son. If he ever gets it sighted in give you his impressions.

LR

I have the Venom 5-25x56 and it's a great scope for the money. I would assume the Venom 3-15x44 is similar quality. Clarity on the Venom is a little better than my Arken EP5 and the turrets feel much smoother/less skippy.

Reactions: Ronws
Just ordered one. Optics Planet has them on sale for $360.00. Going to throw it on the 22lr

Just ran mine at the range for the first time the other day to do a 100 yd zero. I'll report back when I take it out to 1K. So far I love the reticle and zero stop. The zoom is a shorter throw than what I had so thats cool. Glass is very clear. $360 is a total steal man!

I love the ability to dial up 17 mil from my zero. Gets me way past 1k yards with a 0 MOA rail

Reactions: ototallydude
First long range outing with the optic. It's superb. Being able to dial up for 1k yards was great. The reticle is fantastic. I was shooting in 3-5 mph winds w/ 10-15 mph gusts. Very challenging but the .2 mil subtensions on the horizontal line made it easy to make impacts 2nd shot(sometimes first) on 2 moa targets.

The turret has an excellent feel, very fast to dial dope. And the zero stop is great. No more being a full revolution off on dope and wondering why I'm not hitting anything. I think you'd be hard pressed to find a nicer optic for under $500. Very pleased, after taking a risk on a new/little reviewed optic.

Reactions: LReece
Took mine out last weekend. It worked. Decent option for the 22lr. Had 24.5 mils of internal adjustment after my 50 yard zero.

Reticle isn’t my favorite but I don’t care to spend money on the 22lr for mil-xt. Eyebox isn’t as forgiving.

Anywho. Sub $500 I’d choose it over others. I don’t expect a 2k scope here, just a cheap solution with simple features.
IMG_2971.jpeg

Reactions: long range dogr
Choose what you like and stick with it.

Last edited:
Haha oh man I was starting to worry that this was a "safe space" lmao
Trust me, it is not a safe space. They say that technical threads like this are for discussion and roasting is only in the Bear Pit. I find the roasting going on everywhere.

Reactions: kmckinnon
Too many single incel dudes on here with too much money and time.

If you have a partner, a family, or other interests…$500 for a scope isn’t chump change

Little presumptuous of you to think/say that anyone who is comfortable spending more than $500 on a scope is a single incel dude. If you make a decent income, manage your money well, etc then $500 might be chump change. Some of it is value also. Plenty of people would say the same about anyone who spends any sort of money on firearms, but people are like that when they don't see value in someone else's interests.

I personally don't understand how people can see value in spending thousands of dollars on sneakers, video games, or model trains (random examples I can think of). Doesn't mean they're all single incel dudes with the same financial situation as myself or others.

Last edited:
Little presumptuous of you to think/say that anyone who is comfortable spending more than $500 on a scope is a single incel dude. If you make a decent income, manage your money well, etc then $500 might be chump change. Some of it is value also. Plenty of people would say the same about anyone who spends any sort of money on firearms, but people are like that when they don't see value in someone else's interests.

I personally don't understand how people can see value in spending thousands of dollars on sneakers, video games, or model trains (random examples I can think of). Doesn't mean they're all single incel dudes with the same financial situation as myself or others.
I thought the incel comment was funny but evidently some people get feelings hurt easily. Being called an incel is laughably easier than the endless load of crap one gets because they could not or did no spend 4k on a scope.

And yes, someone can get into financially better situation later.

For me, price is not the issue, quality is. One of the two owners of the company I manage has a few houses here and there. New Mexico, though I think he sold that one. Maine. Florida. Bolivia, where his wife is from. And he was driving an Audi. And sold that and bought a Ford for Texas and a Hyundai for Florida. He saved money but got value. That is a case of having enough money but spending it wisely for value.

But often is the case that someone will simply state that almost all of Vortex is trash, that the scopes break all the time. This all started with a story passed around about someone who was heard to have a Strike Eagle where the "reticle was loose." Instead of sending it back immediately for a speedy replacement, he hunted the season with a supposedly broken scope. And then got it replaced. But no idea of who that was. But it has become legend. And the big crime is that one did not have spend more than 500 to get a good scope that performs well.

I thought the incel comment was funny but evidently some people get feelings hurt easily.

Maybe that's just not my sense of humor and I didn't read it correctly to see it as a funny comment.

Being called an incel is laughably easier than the endless load of crap one gets because they could not or did no spend 4k on a scope.

And yes, someone can get into financially better situation later.

True, but trying to make fun of people who made different life choices or are just in a different situation because someone was a dick to them about it isn't a great way to build a better community. Maybe I'm just to hippy dippy in that sense. I try not to be a dick, but the comment seemed more petty than it needed to be. I don't disagree that the endless load of crap someone might get because they can't, won't, or didn't spend $4k on a scope is much worse than backhanded comments about why someone might have money.

For me, price is not the issue, quality is. One of the two owners of the company I manage has a few houses here and there. New Mexico, though I think he sold that one. Maine. Florida. Bolivia, where his wife is from. And he was driving an Audi. And sold that and bought a Ford for Texas and a Hyundai for Florida. He saved money but got value. That is a case of having enough money but spending it wisely for value.

But often is the case that someone will simply state that almost all of Vortex is trash, that the scopes break all the time. This all started with a story passed around about someone who was heard to have a Strike Eagle where the "reticle was loose." Instead of sending it back immediately for a speedy replacement, he hunted the season with a supposedly broken scope. And then got it replaced. But no idea of who that was. But it has become legend. And the big crime is that one did not have spend more than 500 to get a good scope that performs well.

I'm glad there are plenty of people out there that shop and make decisions based on value. I am not a fan of loving or hating on something because of the brand or cost. We're all here to enjoy firearms and I would just as quickly jump to someone's defense if they were getting insulted for not having enough money to buy something.

Maybe that's just not my sense of humor and I didn't read it correctly to see it as a funny comment.

True, but trying to make fun of people who made different life choices or are just in a different situation because someone was a dick to them about it isn't a great way to build a better community. Maybe I'm just to hippy dippy in that sense. I try not to be a dick, but the comment seemed more petty than it needed to be. I don't disagree that the endless load of crap someone might get because they can't, won't, or didn't spend $4k on a scope is much worse than backhanded comments about why someone might have money.

I'm glad there are plenty of people out there that shop and make decisions based on value. I am not a fan of loving or hating on something because of the brand or cost. We're all here to enjoy firearms and I would just as quickly jump to someone's defense if they were getting insulted for not having enough money to buy something.
And it could be that I thought incel was funny because that is just how I am. I have gotten so old that all of my feelings burned out and the others were surgically removed. I also laugh at myself. I laugh at others when they mischaracterize me merely for disagreeing. I stand and look at myself. If I were to get upset and tell someone about it, how could I describe it to someone without laughing?

"Why are you upset."

"Well, this guy in a forum who goes by the handle of bigbentcockextrordinaire called me a statist."

"Ron, are you listening to the words coming out of your mouth? Here's an idea. Grab whatever rifle you are working on and let's go shoot some dangerous paper that was just asking for it."

Reactions: Mark_Dorman
And it could be that I thought incel was funny because that is just how I am. I have gotten so old that all of my feelings burned out and the others were surgically removed. I also laugh at myself. I laugh at others when they mischaracterize me merely for disagreeing. I stand and look at myself. If I were to get upset and tell someone about it, how could I describe it to someone without laughing?

"Why are you upset."

"Well, this guy in a forum who goes by the handle of bigbentcockextrordinaire called me a statist."

"Ron, are you listening to the words coming out of your mouth? Here's an idea. Grab whatever rifle you are working on and let's go shoot some dangerous paper that was just asking for it."

I think that's a good attitude to have. I didn't feel personally targeted here which is maybe why I didn't just shrug it off or laugh at it. I tend to get more upset when someone targets a group of people vs me personally. Some of that is upbringing and probably something I should work on.

I've heard you can snag them for under $400 at OpticsPlanet if you're cool with MRAD. Hard to beat that value for the money.

Reactions: Mark_Dorman