• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Vortex venom 5-25 MAX DISTANCE

Kms33kms

P=
Minuteman
Dec 31, 2020
Tennessee
I currently have a vortex venom 5-25x56 ffp moa on my bergara premier 6.5 prc. I have still not had chance to go to my local range that has steel targets out to 1600 yards. Now I also just bought a defiance tenacity action sa , and gonna have a barrel chambered in 6 or 6.5 cm , my question to y’all is , my scope specs say it has 85 moa elevation adjustment. And my current bergara and new custom rifle has/will have 20 Moa rail. Will this
Optic allow these cartridges (6.5prc, 6cm ,6.5 cm ) reach out to the 1600 yards target? And yea there are other steel plates from 200 all the way up out to the max 1,600 yards

85 / 2 + 20 , u get approximate 60-65moa. Plug in ammo fps and target distance 1600 yds with your Ballistic calculator to see what elevation you will need.

i really like my 2 strike eagles....but i would love it if they made the illumination optional. pretty much...give me a venom with locking turrets and id be set.
i have yet to EVER use illumination in my short 20 years of shooting

Burris made the RT25 to be just that. They spent the production money on nicer glass and turrets.

I suspect it comes from the same production line as the Venom and Strike Eagle. Burris just dropped the illumination and raised the bar on the glass clarity.

Reactions: Kms33kms
Sounds like you have a nice action coming, and are looking to shoot long distance. Upgrade the optic is my advice. You have a 80 hp optic with 190 mph action and going to shoot a nice cartridge. It is hard to say what is most important with a bolt gun. To me, it is 1) action, 2) barrel and 3) optic. But, you need each to work together in the same league.

Sounds like you have a nice action coming, and are looking to shoot long distance. Upgrade the optic is my advice. You have a 80 hp optic with 190 mph action and going to shoot a nice cartridge. It is hard to say what is most important with a bolt gun. To me, it is 1) action, 2) barrel and 3) optic. But, you need each to work together in the same league.
Yea I plan on upgrading scope , that scope is actually my scope for my current bergara premier rifle , I won’t be able to afford a new optic for my custom rifle until next spring time. But for the time being I was gonna get a barrel and trigger for the tenacity action before New Years , and just put the new custom barreled action into my Barbara hmr stock (if it fits , they’re both rem 700 sa) and put my current scope (vortex viper) onto the new custom rifle just to try out. And the spring time , but optic and stock back only bergara and buy new stock and optic for custom rifle

So what makes a cheap scope cheap? I have zoomed all the way in and looked what seemed to be a thousand yards and the pictures actually looked fairly clear. I’m just wondering why it is at the price range it is

So what makes a cheap scope cheap? I have zoomed all the way in and looked what seemed to be a thousand yards and the pictures actually looked fairly clear. I’m just wondering why it is at the price range it is
Because it’s made in China, from cheap Chinese parts, with Chinese glass, and widely-varying quality-control. Not that it’s a bad optic, but just keeping it real as to why it’s so inexpensive. No hate, it just is what it is.

I have a Strike Eagle 5-25x56 EBR-7C, and while it’s a good scope for the money, it’s also made in China, and certainly not competing with scopes above its price range. Just is what it is. I do like the locking turrets, that’s nice for not knocking your dope off when moving or transporting it.

I like Arken scopes, too…But they’re priced like they are because they’re also made in China. At least their EP & EPL series scopes use real Japanese ED/ELD glass, which is a noticeable step up over the Chinese SD & HD glass (which is still very decent for the money). Their scopes are built like tanks, as well. And the turrets and tracking are top-notch.

Basically, if you ever want to know why any optic is priced so well, or seems like an incredible bargain, more than likely, it was made in China, or one of the other cheap-labor Asian countries.

Because it’s made in China, from cheap Chinese parts, with Chinese glass, and widely-varying quality-control. Not that it’s a bad optic, but just keeping it real as to why it’s so inexpensive. No hate, it just is what it is.

I have a Strike Eagle 5-25x56 EBR-7C, and while it’s a good scope for the money, it’s also made in China, and certainly not competing with scopes above its price range. Just is what it is. I do like the locking turrets, that’s nice for not knocking your dope off when moving or transporting it.

I like Arken scopes, too…But they’re priced like they are because they’re also made in China. At least their EP & EPL series scopes use real Japanese ED/ELD glass, which is a noticeable step up over the Chinese SD & HD glass (which is still very decent for the money). Their scopes are built like tanks, as well. And the turrets and tracking are top-notch.

Basically, if you ever want to know why any optic is priced so well, or seems like an incredible bargain, more than likely, it was made in China, or one of the other cheap-labor Asian countries.
I have been shopping and researching Tract , athlon , and Burris scopes the past few days. Also the vortex strike eagle was on my list because of its really good price range and it has more elevation adjustment that the vortex viper pst gen ii

I have been shopping and researching Tract , athlon , and Burris scopes the past few days. Also the vortex strike eagle was on my list because of its really good price range and it has more elevation adjustment that the vortex viper pst gen ii
Give a look to this one... It's China, but it has Japanese ED glass. And from my tests (i'm not affiliated with any company) it's glass was on par with the PST Gen2 5-25x50 we tested right beside it at the same time, on the same day. Multiple people looked and compared, and they all agreed, it was damn near identical. You'll also love how much elevation adjustment it has, and how strong and tactile the turrets are.

Take a step back. You bought a very good action. You did not list (or did I miss) the stock and barrel, but you started with a solid action. Defiance does not make junk. You want to shoot to 1,600 yards. That is a very long distance. You are talking about shooting a mile. I get that everyone has a budget, and nobody wants to waste money. But, if you are getting a custom rifle built and the action is very good to start, then work your way up to an optic that deserves that action and one where you can see your missed first shot at 1,600 yards.

Vortex makes a wide range of scopes. Their brands vary from good enough for a pellet gun in the backyard, to winning long range competitions. I am not sure any other scope manufacturer makes such a wide range of performance. What you currently have is not suited for the task. In the Vortex line-up, the minimum grade I would look at is the PST Gen II. There are some really decent PST Gen2 scopes available, although, I would encourage you to think about a step-up at some point if you are really going to shoot 1,600 yards.

What you will soon notice - if you have not already - is that the members here both are very knowledgeable about shooting and about scopes, and that they are very opinionated. We all come to this forum with our biases. Scopes are probably the most personal of choices, and members here love one brand and hate another, and much more so than opinions on actions, chassis and barrels. So, you have time to learn, and if your budget dictates that you get by with what you have until you can afford it, so what? Get the experience behind the trigger, and see what you like and don't like about the scope you are stuck with.

What you will notice is that shit scopes look okay in 1-4x or even up to 500 yards. A crappy scope at 5-25x just makes no sense. For me, at admitted scope snob, seeing a crap scope sold for 5-25x long range shooting is like fingernails on a chalkboard. (Gen Z folks, make your interpretation since you probably have not seen a chalkboard) But, there are value brands out there that have surprised me. Athlon is one, for sure. I am not an Arken fan, but perhaps I am bringing my bias in. I like the Burris XTR3 in mid-magnification (3-18x), and I know there is a longer range model. I do not have first hand experience with it, but perhaps that might be on your list. I would not rule out a Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x, and look hard at the Vortex Viper PST Gen 2 5-25x. I am more of a fan of the PST scopes in lower magnification, but with cost in mind, this would be a good candidate to keep on the list. I hesitate, but I would at least consider the Nightforce NX8 - either 2.5-20x or 4-32x. Price jumps a bit, but keep in mind the rifle you are building.

Scopes are like shoes. They are personal and you need to own the decision. Also, consider the reticle. You will be spending time behind the reticle. There are some reticles that I cannot enjoy, but others swear by them. Also, when looking at scopes for 1 mile shooting, do not think about how the target looks. You need to know how the dirt and grass looks at the target. What sets the great scopes apart from the okay scopes is the ability to see your miss hit the ground, so you can adjust for the next shot.

Good luck with your project.

Take a step back. You bought a very good action. You did not list (or did I miss) the stock and barrel, but you started with a solid action. Defiance does not make junk. You want to shoot to 1,600 yards. That is a very long distance. You are talking about shooting a mile. I get that everyone has a budget, and nobody wants to waste money. But, if you are getting a custom rifle built and the action is very good to start, then work your way up to an optic that deserves that action and one where you can see your missed first shot at 1,600 yards.

Vortex makes a wide range of scopes. Their brands vary from good enough for a pellet gun in the backyard, to winning long range competitions. I am not sure any other scope manufacturer makes such a wide range of performance. What you currently have is not suited for the task. In the Vortex line-up, the minimum grade I would look at is the PST Gen II. There are some really decent PST Gen2 scopes available, although, I would encourage you to think about a step-up at some point if you are really going to shoot 1,600 yards.

What you will soon notice - if you have not already - is that the members here both are very knowledgeable about shooting and about scopes, and that they are very opinionated. We all come to this forum with our biases. Scopes are probably the most personal of choices, and members here love one brand and hate another, and much more so than opinions on actions, chassis and barrels. So, you have time to learn, and if your budget dictates that you get by with what you have until you can afford it, so what? Get the experience behind the trigger, and see what you like and don't like about the scope you are stuck with.

What you will notice is that shit scopes look okay in 1-4x or even up to 500 yards. A crappy scope at 5-25x just makes no sense. For me, at admitted scope snob, seeing a crap scope sold for 5-25x long range shooting is like fingernails on a chalkboard. (Gen Z folks, make your interpretation since you probably have not seen a chalkboard) But, there are value brands out there that have surprised me. Athlon is one, for sure. I am not an Arken fan, but perhaps I am bringing my bias in. I like the Burris XTR3 in mid-magnification (3-18x), and I know there is a longer range model. I do not have first hand experience with it, but perhaps that might be on your list. I would not rule out a Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x, and look hard at the Vortex Viper PST Gen 2 5-25x. I am more of a fan of the PST scopes in lower magnification, but with cost in mind, this would be a good candidate to keep on the list. I hesitate, but I would at least consider the Nightforce NX8 - either 2.5-20x or 4-32x. Price jumps a bit, but keep in mind the rifle you are building.

Scopes are like shoes. They are personal and you need to own the decision. Also, consider the reticle. You will be spending time behind the reticle. There are some reticles that I cannot enjoy, but others swear by them. Also, when looking at scopes for 1 mile shooting, do not think about how the target looks. You need to know how the dirt and grass looks at the target. What sets the great scopes apart from the okay scopes is the ability to see your miss hit the ground, so you can adjust for the next shot.

Good luck with your project.
I was actually wondering about the viper pst gen 2 , but from my research it didn’t have (what seemed to be) enough elevation adjustment . Keep in mind I have never been to this range and never shot my
Rifles above 200 yards , I just kind of want to. My new custom build will either be chambered in 6 or 6.5 cm , not even sure if those round could make 1600 , I also have a bergara premier 6.5prc with that
Vortex venom scope on. And yea I would only be using the venom on my new custom build for a couple months before I would be able to upgrade to a better scope for my new build , then it would go back on my bergara. When i
First bought
This
Scope though , before I mounted it
On my rifle , I looked through it around these big fields , and I zoome in all the way , and all the things that seemed a mile away or more actually looked pretty decent within the glass. So I’m guessing the tracking will be what’s off about this
Venom