• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Vortex versus Leupold and Night Force

gei

Private
Minuteman
Dec 28, 2007
New Orleans, LA.
Getting ready to purchase a new scope and seriously considering a Vortex, How do they compare with the other two, The 6 x 20, am not into scopes that much, owned some NF and they were great, Just hate to spend that much money.

Re: Vortex versus Leupold and Night Force

I know a lot of people that use the 6-20 400$ model, some for varminting, some for target shooting. They all seem to like them. I would say that the glass is comparable to my japanese nikon. Before you go spending your hard earned money you ought to say what sort of rifle it is going on and how you plan on using it.

Ordered a Rem 308 with the 5R barrel. Will not do any serious 1000 yard shooting, but want to shoot a deer at 600 to 700 yards. Would also like to shoot at 1000 yards just to satisfy myself.
Want a rifle that will really shoot and a good scope. Would rather not spend the
$1700 or 1800 for NF 5.5 x 20. Had a Leupold 6.5 x 20 with the 30MM tube years ago, it was nice, but not like the NF.

Seriously looking at the Vortex in the 1000 range.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gei</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Getting ready to purchase a new scope and seriously considering a Vortex,<span style="font-weight: bold"> How do they compare with the other two</span>, The 6 x 20, am not into scopes that much, <span style="font-weight: bold">owned some NF and they were great, Just hate to spend that much money. </span></div></div>

If you've owned a Nightforce then you already know they're worth the money, albeit expensive. It also retains its resale value better than Leupold and better than probably all of the Vortex line, minus maybe the Razor. The bottom line, it's your dime. Get what <span style="font-style: italic">you</span> want and what works best for <span style="font-style: italic">you</span> and your budget.

Buy a used NF. Problem solved. You're very welcome.

Check out the PST's when they finally roll out

I would look for a variable up to 10X if you are going to hunt with it more than target shoot. 10X USO, 10X super sniper HD, 2-10 nightforce, 3-10X Leupold M3, etc.

If you really want a higher magnification optic and you like Nightforce then save up until you can afford one. Settling for something that is less than what you want is never good as you will end up selling it (at a loss) to get what you really want.

I have a Vortex viper (target dot) I picked up for $275 when they were being discontinued and its a nice little scope for that price. The only gripe I have is that the eye box is very sensitive and can get annoying at times. For their price range I think their a great deal however its my understanding that the PST line has basically the same glass though they advise it's "optically better" whatever that means (especially for twice the price). My Nightforce well.... lets just say there's no comparison. It felt like a kick in the D#%K when I first paid for it but since then my life has been a joy.

I got a brand new Leupold MK4 ERT 4.5-14 FFP for $1200 brand new for my 700p. I looked through a NF and Zeiss at the time of purchase, and couldnt see any noticeable diff in optic quality. And the turrets on the MK4 have been performing to my liking thus far. Save yourself some money...