• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Vortex Viper 6.5-20 Mildot with pics

m1k3

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 12, 2008
San Angelo, TX
I just received my new Vortex Viper Mildot!

Quick story: Noticed the power selector on my 6.5-20x-50mm had developed some play in its movement. It still rotated smoothly but the ring could be rocked side to side. Emailed Vortex, quick response, send it in and we will take care of it. Asked about the Mil-Dot version and if they could replace the recticle while they had it. The rep responded that they didn't have the tools yet to replace it but would replace the entire scope if I wanted. Cost would be $59 (I guess this is what they are going to charge for a recticle swap). Anyways, I agreed, sent the old scope in and received the replacent 1 week later.

The turrents are perfect to me. Solid clicks, both felt and heard. Smooth, firm power selector and parallax adjustment. Glass is very clear and sharp edge to edge. I tried to get some pics with my dieing Nikon but they are not the best. I'll update them when I take some at the range. Probably tomorrow. The Mil-Dot is supposedly accurate at 14x and is marked on the power selector at that power. The BC covers still fit. Everything looks good to go just now with Mil-Dot!
Pics are this evening so the light was low, look at the background, beside the scope to see the light was low.
Pics are of the power at 6.5x, then 14x, then 20x, and of the power selector. Sorry they are fuzzy and do not do the optics justice. I will try to correct with better pics later.

DSCN6264-600.jpg

DSCN6263-600.jpg

DSCN6265-600.jpg

DSCN6267-600.jpg

Re: Vortex Viper 6.5-20 Mildot with pics

Oh yeah, the upper far corner of that white building is just about 100yds according to Google Earth.

Mike

you used google earth to range 100 yards?

Look up "pace count" and how to use it. Maybe a LRF too.

Have you tried Google Earth? Not Google Maps. It has a ruler that you can measure in feet, yards, miles, etc. Granted its not a Nasa Quality LASER range finder but its close enough for me. Checked against the rifle range where I normally shoot and it shows the 100yds and 200yds spot on from the benches. Give it a try.

Mike

Allright, I will look into it.

Here a short thread that shows a little example of its accuracy.

http://bbs.keyhole.com/ubb/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=963301

I've messed with it for a while and used it with a few co-workers to layout their home contruction projects. Again, its not down to the .0001 inches but I've got a map with distances from my father-in-laws deer stand to just about every tree/landmark around there within 800 yds. Even used it to confirm his little shooting range. He was right on, as normal.
smile.gif

Cool, useful tool.

Scott, I couldn't agree more on the upgrade. I think the recticle is perfect for this scope.

In my emails to Vortex with changing the recticle and arranging service, I suggested they offer true external knobs, and maybe Mil/Mil or MOA/MOA design. They said they would let me know when the tactical version comes out. Again, I couldn't be happier with their service. I bought my Viper used here on the Hide and was treated like I had bought the scope from the Owner of Vortex personally. They have comepletly sold me on my opinion of them and I will be changing my wife's scope to a Vortex next week.

I was able to get the scope adjusted at 100yds in about 5 shots. The wind was far from constant so I was drifiting a little at times. I work in IT and needed to dispose of a few hard drives so that was accomplished at the same time plus gave the kids and wife something different to shoot at. The paper target has the last few sigt-in shots a group of 5 in the top left. I measured the group at .646" center to center. I'm still working on my hold and need to start trying to factor in the wind.

P1000070-600.jpg

three shots into the motor,

P1000047.JPG

other side

P1000049.JPG

As I said above I would be ordering a Vortex for my wife's gun to replace a cheap Busnell Walmart scope. Well, Scott from Liberty Optics is hooking me up with an awesome deal on a Vortex Diamondback! If any one needs a Vortex, give Scott a try. Best price I've ever seen on one and certianly the best CUSTOMER Orienated service. Thanks Scott!

When I get the new Diamondback in I'll give a quick shot of it on here and a 2-cent review.

Mike

updated pics

Here's another pic of the recticle shot the next day with new camera. I couldn't get the camera to focus on the image, kept focusing on the recticle but I'm sure it can be done eventually.

Notice that you can make out the screws on the sheet metal but again, the picture doesn't do it justice.

P1000064.JPG

Re: updated pics

I am very pleased with mine so far. No range time as of yet. The turrets are <span style="font-style: italic">very</span> positive, much more more so than the Falcon it replaced. And the marks line up to boot. Nice and clear with just a bit of eye relief change from about 16-20 power. Very nice optic, especially for the price. Thanks Scott!

Just PM'd LibertyOptics with my order for a Viper 6.5-20x44mm Mill-Dot, Great price!

I'm gonna try it out on some prarie dogs in ND at the end of this month, i'll be sure to give a report
wink.gif

Steve

You're quite welcome guys and thanks for the Vortex orders! We are quite happy we got in on the ground floor with them. Seriously dedicated folks over in Middleton "Hello Wisconsin!!!"

Scott

USMC7980, I love the DeadNutz mount. Its very solid, nicely machined, and since there fewer joints, remounting the scope usually changes the POI less than 2 MOA. Not sure if that's from me messing with other things when I remove the scope but its close enough for me. The hardware is nice quality screws too, not the soft metal crap you get with some others. The ring screws are super long. I was skeptical about just one screw on each side but they have nearly 3 times the thread as my Burris Signature rings so you can safely crank them down.

The mount for Savages isn't as beefy in the bottom as the one for other models but it still seems to be solid. That would be the only thing I change on the design.

Maybe not the most tacti-cool looking mount but does the job, no sharp edges, nothing to get snagged in a bag. I couldn't see how I could go wrong with it and so far, very pleased.

Mike