• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Vortex Viper 6.5-20X50

LSOSGT1109

Demoted by the change
Minuteman
Oct 19, 2006
London, KY
I have just worked out a trade with SWFA in which I will be receiving two of the above scopes. I'd like to hear from some of you guys that have experience with these scopes. I've read nothing but good things about the vortex vipers but I would like to know how the glass compares to a Leupold MK4. I would really like to see some thru the scope pics and some pics of the turrets uncovered if you guys have any.

Thanks,
Chuck

Re: Vortex Viper 6.5-20X50

I've compared that exact scope to a 2007 model Mark 4 6.5-20x50 TMR and in this case, the Lupy was a touch clearer and sharper at 20x looking at a resolution chart at 65 yards. But, not 3x as much, which is the cost differential.

Those are dandy scopes and with the mildot reticle they are tough to beat for the money.

Scott

Thanks Scott! How are the clicks, pretty positive and tactile? And do you know how much elevation they have?

Never mind on the elevation, I just read on Vortex's website that they have 68 minutes which is more than enough for me.

I don't have a picture but the knobs are 12moa/turn (1/4moa). They have a pull to reset zero feature which is handy but the knobs are abit small with smaller numbers. It's probably fine for people with young eyes but they're alittle too small for my eyes. The mildot reticle mils at 14X. Except for the somewhat small knobs, I don't have a bad thing to say about them.

I very pleased with mine. Scott highly recommended it and he was right. Nice glass, sturdy build, and tight, positive clicks. They even line up, unlike the Falcon I replaced. I sighted in at 100, spun the knobs back and forth, then reset it and it was dead on.

ETA: here are some turret pics though not so good, couldn't get the ret. pics to come out.
DSCN0457.jpg

DSCN0460.jpg

I was really impressed with mine. I opted for the 44mm obj though. glass compares very favorably to the MK4's and they track true. I dropped my rifle on mine and still no issues with it other than a few scratches to the finish. vortex's warranty is superb. their customer service is supposedly excellent too. I wouldn't know about the service. I haven't needed it.

Mine's for sale but only because I've picked up a heritage. when vortex gets something mil/mil in their line up I'm sure I'll get another.

hth,
LM

I have one on a 204 just love it I basically crank it every week end from 100m to 500m dope to shoot rabbits the gun has over 1600 rounds through it and so far it's all good mind you there's not a lot of recoil in a 204.