• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Vortex Viper 6.5-X50 PA

SHO~BIZ308

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 2, 2011
USA
I'm trying to decided on a vortex viper {vpr-m-06md} 6.5-20x50 or {vpr-m-05md}6.5-20x50 is there anyone that owns one of these if so what other brand scopes is the glass compared to.what is the glass like threw the magnification range & what are the pros and cons. i will be doing some long range shooting,I'm not to sure if either one of these will work or witch would be the better one. If any one has one of these mounted post a picture. how high are the turrets once the caps are removed and should i get FFP or SFP. Sorry for all the question but i need your help.
THANKS.

Re: Vortex Viper 6.5-X50 PA

Vortex is a good company.

What do you mean by "long range shooting", and what are your targets like?

I use my Viper 6.5-20x50mm extensively until i save up enough for an upgrade. So far it has not failed me, the optics are good for the price range. I have never felt hindered due to glass quality. The only complaint is that the eye box is sensitive at 20x.

Bedlam said:
Vortex is a good company.

What do you mean by "long range shooting", and what are your targets like?

[/quote
300-500yrd, shooting at 6"steel

Hey guys just got of the phone with my local gun dealer he just made me a cool deal for a HS, now he got me thinking about the Vortex Viper HS 4-16x50 Dead-Hold BDC ..what u think.$425 ish

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jpspeeddemon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use my Viper 6.5-20x50mm extensively until i save up enough for an upgrade. So far it has not failed me, the optics are good for the price range. I have never felt hindered due to glass quality. The only complaint is that the eye box is sensitive at 20x. </div></div>
how is the eye box, and what rings would you recommend

The eyebox/ability to get a full sight picture sensitive at high power, but from 6.5-16 power its fine. Having said that, i don't have any problems at 20x.

Rings: Seekins, Badgers, Leupold Mark4, Ken Farrell

My personnal opinion on any bdc reticule or turents with range markings is stay away from, why be hindered with hunting/shooting in one set of conditions why be hindered with shooting the exact ammo every time, there are enough company's out there now selling reticles with moa or mil hash marks now that it's just worth it to get them and or dial in holdover and have the versatility of using different ammo or hunting in different climate conditions, just my 2 cents worth

I have one in 6-20X40mm.Glass is about equal to leupold VX II best i can tell.Mine tracks well and returns to zero ,all the adjustments work nice and smooth.I think it's a really good scope for the money.I have been shooting out to 600 with it so far .I would like to try a viper PST next.
6456341705_9d0fe00e03_b.jpg

6456331941_49d96e7c93_b.jpg

crowsniper1 said:
I have one in 6-20X40mm.Glass is about equal to leupold VX II best i can tell.Mine tracks well and returns to zero ,all the adjustments work nice and smooth.I think it's a really good scope for the money.I have been shooting out to 600 with it so far .I would like to try a viper PST next.
What rings are you using crowsniper1

Rings are leupold PRW/low also using the 1/2" riser blocks.

crowsniper1 said:

Do you have any pic with caps off i would really love to see it before i purchase, how do you fell about the viper HS 4-15X44lr and would you pick your scope over the HS scope thanks for your help, I went to academy looking for those rings but they said they didn't carry them. But i would have to say wow you would compare the glass to a leupold VX II, maybe that's the one i need , i went and looked threw a leupold VX II to day and that shit was sweet.

i have the viper 6.5-20-44 and its a nice scope. just finished up a shoot at thunder valley and was able to see the 12"x12" target at 1165 no problem. clarity at 15to 16x is nice. The other gentleman was right about getting full picture at 20x but it is still doable. I have the bdc reticle and at max power the first dot down is 1.5 moa, the second is 4.5, third is 7.5 and the next one down is 11.