• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Vortex Viper HD Series

I bought one for hunting in AK, and for that it is tops. It doesn't make the jump to precision long-range for lack of a reticle add-on, like the expensive brother...Razor.

"I bought one for hunting in AK, and for that it is tops. It doesn't make the jump to precision long-range for lack of a reticle add-on, like the expensive brother...Razor."

Thanks for posting about your experience. Could you explain the above quote, as I am not sure what you are saying. It seems like you would need long range precision optics in Alaska. Also did you buy the 15-45x65 or the 20-60x80.

Clarificaton:
I own the Viper HD 15-45x65 Spotter. For hunting, it is a great balance of weight-for-glass quality, as well it is great glass-quality-for-value in a spotting scope. I then began to utilize it for my long-range precision shooting, and found that I would benefit from the mil reticle eyepiece, which is only available in the Razor x85 model. However, the Razor x85 is much too heavy for mountain hunting.

In my opinion, a reticle eyepiece for the Viper line would be a great addition.

Vortex recently offered a lighter Razor x50 but it is also not compatible with the reticle eyepiece.

Hope that clears it up.

Clarificaton:
I own the Viper HD 15-45x65 Spotter. For hunting, it is a great balance of weight-for-glass quality, as well it is great glass-quality-for-value in a spotting scope. I then began to utilize it for my long-range precision shooting, and found that I would benefit from the mil reticle eyepiece, which is only available in the Razor x85 model. However, the Razor x85 is much too heavy for mountain hunting.

In my opinion, a reticle eyepiece for the Viper line would be a great addition. Vortex recently offered a lighter Razor x50 but it is also not compatible with the reticle eyepiece.

Hope that clears it up.

It sure does. Thank you again for the excellent information. Do you know if another optics company makes a mil reticle that would fit the Viper 15-45x65?

Last edited:
No, they do not. I may sell my Viper Spotter and look at a Leupold Tactical reticle model, which has a blend of all the qualities above.

For really fine glass, but at price considerably less than the alphas, why aren't you looking at the Meopta Meostar? I just got one with the 30x60 wide angle and it is truly amazing. For the same price, there's a 20x70 eyepiece too, but I haven't played with that one.
Skip

Last edited:
For really fine glass, but at price considerably less than the alphas, why aren't you looking at the Meopta Meostar? I just got one with the 30x60 wide angle and it is truly amazing. For the same price, there's a 20x70 eyepiece too, but I haven't played with that one.
Skip

I was very pleased with my Meopta MeoStar R-1. If I told you the price I paid for it, you'd be green with envy. Let's just say that my local Ace had an excellent scope selection and they routinely put stuff on clearance that had been sitting on the shelves for greater than 1 year. Then, they would have certain sales that were 10-15% off any scope, including clearance. :) I know it's a scope versus a spotting scope, but Meopta is GOOD glass.

Last edited: