• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Vortex viper how many moa are the bars?

timelinex

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • May 7, 2011
    Scottsdale,Az
    So I was thinking about what it would take to try to reach the 308 out to a mile(just for fun) at a future local shoot and according to ballistic programs it will be around 105moa , assuming a 20 degree slope. With my 20moa base and 6.5-20x50 viper I have about 55 moa. Now If I am at the tip of the bar that's 5 mil dots worth and if I zoom out to 6.5 instead of the 14 the mil dots are accurate, that would be a total of around 93 moa. Does anybody know how many moa at 14x are the bars supposed to be,all the way to the edge of the scope.Or any other ideas are welcome for extra elevation, without modifying/buy new equipment.

remember this is for fun and I know that there are better suited cartridges for a mile.

Re: Vortex viper how many moa are the bars?

If I'm not mistaken I think he means the solid black bars. I do not know the answer to your question, sorry. Someone should be along that knows how to answer this.

Take the scope to a 100 yard range, and set it at 14x or whatever you plan to use. Set up the target and have 1moa markings for every MOA and see how it measures up.

It's on their website, it's in the instructions, 1.5,4.5,7.5,11.0 moa.

Not sure if you guys got a lil misled on which scope I have. I have the NON pst viper. Also I know the subtensions on the mildot is 3.6 inches each, the point is there are 5 and then the black bars at the ends. I'm asking about the bars

As for doing my own testing, if noone knows the answer I will, its easier to ask and read than wait till my next range day.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bigwheeler</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> It's on their website, it's in the instructions, 1.5,4.5,7.5,11.0 moa.</div></div>
    Where did you find this? Not even sure what these numbers corresponds to.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: timelinex</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not sure if you guys got a lil misled on which scope I have. I have the NON pst viper. Also I know the subtensions on the mildot is 3.6 inches each, the point is there are 5 and then the black bars at the ends. I'm asking about the bars

As for doing my own testing, if noone knows the answer I will, its easier to ask and read than wait till my next range day. </div></div>

In the future, tell us what scope you have. ALL of their reticles are on their
    website.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bigwheeler</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: timelinex</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not sure if you guys got a lil misled on which scope I have. I have the NON pst viper. Also I know the subtensions on the mildot is 3.6 inches each, the point is there are 5 and then the black bars at the ends. I'm asking about the bars

As for doing my own testing, if noone knows the answer I will, its easier to ask and read than wait till my next range day. </div></div>

In the future, tell us what scope you have. ALL of their reticles are on their
    website.</div></div>

Not to be a smart-ass, but I said in my original post I have a 6.5-20x50 vortex viper, and specified its a mildot. Thats as accurate as you can get. If it was a PST I would have said PST, but my scope is not called 'vortex viper non-pst' it is called a vortex viper. Plus those magnifications don't come on any of their scopes but my line.
    Also, please show me on there site where it answers the question I have. Just because they have a picture of the reticle doesn't mean that they show the measurements of everything about it.
    Here it is on their site:
    ret_mildot.jpg

and then there's another picture with a close of the mildots and showing the space between the dots. Also my manual doesn't provide this information, only the distance between dots. I tried looking online, through my manual and on their website and came up with nothing. Thats why I asked here!

I thought I was being as clear as possible, but obviously my question is still not being understood. The dimensions im asking are of the part thats in the red box.
    retmildot.jpg

I see the reticle you are talking about on swfa. Your scope is a vprm06md?
    6.5-20x50 PA with mildot on vortex's site.
    You are talking about the
    ends of the crosshairs, or the thick part of the crosshairs, not bars. I was looking
    for crossbars, that's where I was confused.
    I think you'll have to scale it in your scope and test from there. They may be slightly different from scope to scope depending on how the lens are installed.
    In the photo they look like the distance between three dots (two spacings).
    The sites back up and they give a pretty good detail of the dot sizes and spacings
    but not the ends.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bigwheeler</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I see the reticle you are talking about on swfa. Your scope is a vprm06md?
    6.5-20x50 PA with mildot on vortex's site.
    You are talking about the
    ends of the crosshairs, or the thick part of the crosshairs, not bars. I was looking
    for crossbars, that's where I was confused.
    I think you'll have to scale it in your scope and test from there. They may be slightly different from scope to scope depending on how the lens are installed.
    In the photo they look like the distance between three dots (two spacings).
    The sites back up and they give a pretty good detail of the dot sizes and spacings
    but not the ends.
    </div></div>
    Gotchya. Yea Just gonna have to test it and see for myself I guess. I just wanted to see if anyone has tested it before.

Thanks for the help.

I don't know if you got the specs you sought yet, but if not then I'd suggest calling or emailing the folks at Vortex ( [email protected] ). They are all about helping their customers. They will likely respond quickly with the info you need for your particular reticle. Good luck.

$00.02

~~Mutt

For anyone out there thats wondering... The total bar length till the end is almost exactly 8mil's long from top to bottom and .5mil wide.

Which is good news, it means at a 'reasonable' 10x for a mile, i will have up to 121MOA to work with haha

Just wanted to post this in case anyone is ever wondering the same thing and uses the search option.