• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Vortex Viper HS 2.5-10 or 4x16

o2bwest

Banhammer
Banned !
Minuteman
Oct 18, 2018
I currently have a Diamondback 4x12-40 BDC and I'm very unhappy with the low light performance. Yesterday, I had 3 deer in the field about 330-350 yards around 6:45 AM Central time and could basically only see then on 4 - 6 power (overcast cloudy morning - was raining by 8). When I turned up the power more, it wasn't really visible, I could not tell if they were buck or does on lower power. Is that normal for a Diamondback? I'm thinking about a new Viper and was wondering the pros/cons of the 2.5-10x44 and 4-16 44? Hoping to hear of experiences with these 2 Viper models. My concern with the 4-16's BDC is having to turn it all the way up to make the BDC work...but with the 2.5-10 it will be much easier to be on full magnification and find the target in using the BDC, but then will it be enough magnification for some long shots? 80% of my hunting is under 300 yards, but I do hunt a field that is much longer than my abilities(950+yards). How good is the clarity on these 2 Viper scopes on full power?

They’re not very good IME. Had an HS 4-16 which the glass was poor at best. They’re uninspiring glass.