• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Vortex Viper HS 5-15x44 Mil-Dot

1791PrecisionArmory

FFL-07
Supporter
Minuteman
Dec 7, 2011
Idaho
Just got the new Midway catalog and it shows on page 772 an exclusive Vortex scope. Not showing up on the website yet but looks to be a good scope for 499.99.

5-15x44 mil/mil 1/10th adj. PST turrets on win/elv. Part# 183-567

Just thought I would throw this out here.

Re: Vortex Viper HS 5-15x44 Mil-Dot

FYI...the C&R licensee/"dealer" price on these is $399.99. Not sure how long that will last but I just backordered one. Estimated ship date is 3/10/12. Look forward to checking this out!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mdazzo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just got the new Midway catalog and it shows on page 772 an exclusive Vortex scope. Not showing up on the website yet but looks to be a good scope for 499.99.

5-15x44 mil/mil 1/10th adj. PST turrets on win/elv. Part# 183-567

Just thought I would throw this out here. </div></div>Thank you...I've been looking for something like that Vortex, in that exact price range.

I wonder what's up with it saying "Limited Lifetime Factory Warranty" in the discription of the scope in the catalog.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Eucalypti</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I wonder what's up with it saying "Limited Lifetime Factory Warranty" in the discription of the scope in the catalog. </div></div>
Yeah, I noticed that too. According to the Vortex website they still have their VIP warranty on ALL of their scopes, binocs/monocs, and spotters. This will be my fourth Vortex scope and I fully expect this new Viper will be no different when it comes to warranty.

"Our warranty is about you, not us. It's about taking care of you after the sale. The VIP stands for a Very Important Promise to you, our customers. We will repair or replace your Vortex product for any reason at NO CHARGE TO YOU. It doesn't matter how it happened, whose fault it was, or where you purchased it. You can count on the VIP Warranty for <span style="text-decoration: underline">all</span> riflescopes, binoculars, spotting scopes and monoculars: Unlimited Lifetime Warranty, Fully transferable, No warranty card to fill out, No receipt needed to hang on to
If you ever have a problem, no matter the cause, we promise to take care of you."

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mtneer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Eucalypti</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I wonder what's up with it saying "Limited Lifetime Factory Warranty" in the discription of the scope in the catalog. </div></div>
Yeah, I noticed that too. According to the Vortex website they still have their VIP warranty on ALL of their scopes, binocs/monocs, and spotters. This will be my fourth Vortex scope and I fully expect this new Viper will be no different when it comes to warranty.

"Our warranty is about you, not us. It's about taking care of you after the sale. The VIP stands for a Very Important Promise to you, our customers. We will repair or replace your Vortex product for any reason at NO CHARGE TO YOU. It doesn't matter how it happened, whose fault it was, or where you purchased it. You can count on the VIP Warranty for <span style="text-decoration: underline">all</span> riflescopes, binoculars, spotting scopes and monoculars: Unlimited Lifetime Warranty, Fully transferable, No warranty card to fill out, No receipt needed to hang on to
If you ever have a problem, no matter the cause, we promise to take care of you."

</div></div>

This ^

anyone seen any specs on this? As far a elevation travel. I would assume it would be similar to the 4-16PST

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BrettSass844</div><div class="ubbcode-body">anyone seen any specs on this? As far a elevation travel. I would assume it would be similar to the 4-16PST </div></div>
According to Midway website.
Max Internal Adjustment:
•Windage: 50 MOA
•Elevation: 75 MOA

@Scott_at_Vortex: Any chance this new Viper features the CRS zero stop? According to Midway website the answer is no. But these turrets look a lot like the HS-LR/PST turrets that have this feature. I'm more than happy to buy the shims seperately if needed. Really looking forward to getting this scope in my hands next month.

My interest is diffinetly peeked since I have an account with midway. The zero stop would be icing on the cake.

zero stop would be nice, wonder what power the reticle is accurate at?
TJ

Very interested in this but have a couple questions for you folks. First does anyone have a link to what this reticle will look like, I've seen a few different mildot reticles and want to be sure first. Also I understand that it is SFP and thats fine since I won't be ranging but does the mil versus moa have any affect if all I will do is use the elevation turret? Only have had moa before and the mil is new to me. Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bayou1535</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Very interested in this but have a couple questions for you folks. First does anyone have a link to what this reticle will look like, I've seen a few different mildot reticles and want to be sure first. Also I understand that it is SFP and thats fine since I won't be ranging but does the mil versus moa have any affect if all I will do is use the elevation turret? Only have had moa before and the mil is new to me. Thanks </div></div>
Link to Vortex Mil-Dot Viper Reticle. I expect the scope will feature this mil-dot. Could be wrong... Vortex Mil-Dot

The mil adjustments with the mil ret. will help you if you have a miss as you can look in the ret. and read how much you missed by and then make the adjustments without any math. Note the scope has to be set on the correct power so the mil-dot spacings will be accurate.

Thanks for the pic, don't know I miised that on their site. Also thanks for the explanation. Don't suspect I will be ranging so either will be exceptable and also SFP. Thanks again

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mtneer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BrettSass844</div><div class="ubbcode-body">anyone seen any specs on this? As far a elevation travel. I would assume it would be similar to the 4-16PST </div></div>
According to Midway website.
Max Internal Adjustment:
•Windage: 50 MOA
•Elevation: 75 MOA

@Scott_at_Vortex: Any chance this new Viper features the CRS zero stop? According to Midway website the answer is no. But these turrets look a lot like the HS-LR/PST turrets that have this feature. I'm more than happy to buy the shims seperately if needed. Really looking forward to getting this scope in my hands next month. </div></div>

Same turret, I am not sure if they will come with the shims though.

Scott

this sucks! now i am probably going to have to keep my bush and put it on my hunting rifle and buy one of these for my paper gun. damn,means finding tikka T3 30mm rings. nuts,thought i was done changing scopes around.

Midway's site sais it will have zero stop.

Thanks for the notice on this. It fits the bill for what I am looking for and I never would have caught it in Midways catalog.

So is the only difference between this and the PST the Illum. and mag. power?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: D.A.T.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So is the only difference between this and the PST the Illum. and mag. power? </div></div>

IIRC correctly the PST is Japanese glass and assembled in the Philippines. The HS model is probably not Japanese glass and has some internal differences from the PST line. Interestingly the scope pictured in the Midway catalog has both exposed elevation AND windage turrets. The HS LR models typically have a capped windage turret while the PST line has exposed. Externally, aside from the lack of the illumination dial this HS model and the PST look VERY similar.

Looks like a great quality scope at an excellent price point. I'm holding out for the new FFP HS 6-24x with XLR reticle coming this Fall.

I keep on hereing great things about these scope. The only thing I didn't care for was the illumination. This doesn't have that and it looks affordable for my budget!

Wow. The specs page on Midway has change significantly since last week.

The good: More windage listed (75moa vs. 50moa), VIP warranty listed, zero stop listed.

The bad: Etched reticle no longer listed...wire now listed.

A wire reticle is supremely disappointing. This would be consistent with the HS line and a big difference between this HS and the PST line. Plus reticle choice and illumination. I'd say those are the three big differences.

The wire reticle may have just changed my mind.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bayou1535</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The wire reticle may have just changed my mind. </div></div>
Same here...and to think I'd finally found EXACTLY what I've been looking for in my price range. Guess it was too good to be true. I wish Midway had gotten the specs right from the start. I'm going to sleep on it before I decide whether to cancel my backorder or not. Maybe I can compromise on a wire reticle for good mil turrets, CRS zero stop, side focus, variable power, great warranty...there is still a lot to like. Thoughts?

Maybe the specs will change again...I was really thinking about this scope.

If I may throw this out there-

Wire reticles of today are nothing like wire reticles of 30yrs or even 20yrs ago. The amount of abuse that modern wire reticles can take is astounding.

In all honesty arguing the strength/durability of high quality modern wire reticles is really a moot point.

I guess all I am trying to say is that I would not let this be my deciding factor on any scope as I feel there are much more important things to consider on a new scope purchase.

Best Regards guys,
Scott

If anyone ever has any questions that I may be able to assist with,Please don't hesitate to contact me.

With that being said, would you personally run a wire reticle?

OMG!! The scope world has done turned another revolution on me!!

So the reason I didn't buy an HS to begin with, apparently has been changed. I will be taking a really long hard look at this one for sure!!

DK

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HPCR59</div><div class="ubbcode-body">With that being said, would you personally run a wire reticle? </div></div>Absolutely, without a doubt I would and do.

Do the regular vipers have wire reticles? If they do I have not heard of any with broken wires which would lead me to believe that vortex has this figured out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chemist1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do the regular vipers have wire reticles? If they do I have not heard of any with broken wires which would lead me to believe that vortex has this figured out. </div></div>Yes, they do and I honestly can not recall ever getting one back with a broken reticle.Honestly,we very seldom ever get them back for any problems.

Just to be clear- I am not trying to say we have some magic formula for wire reticles, but rather that most wire reticles in most manufacturers scopes these days will very seldom have any problems.

I would say in most circumstances if something did happen to one of these wire reticles there is also going to be other damage to the scope that would have rendered the scope inoperable even if it had a glass reticle (for example: tumbling down a mountain face, run over by vehicle,etc...)

Scott

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scott_at_Vortex</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chemist1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do the regular vipers have wire reticles? If they do I have not heard of any with broken wires which would lead me to believe that vortex has this figured out. </div></div>Yes, they do and I honestly can not recall ever getting one back with a broken reticle.Honestly,we very seldom ever get them back for any problems.

Just to be clear- I am not trying to say we have some magic formula for wire reticles, but rather that most wire reticles in most manufacturers scopes these days will very seldom have any problems.

I would say in most circumstances if something did happen to one of these wire reticles there is also going to be other damage to the scope that would have rendered the scope inoperable even if it had a glass reticle (for example: <span style="color: #FF0000">tumbling down a mountain face, run over by vehicle,</span>etc...)

Scott

</div></div>

Which, coincidentally, is covered by the warranty, right?
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jtb33</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scott_at_Vortex</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chemist1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do the regular vipers have wire reticles? If they do I have not heard of any with broken wires which would lead me to believe that vortex has this figured out. </div></div>Yes, they do and I honestly can not recall ever getting one back with a broken reticle.Honestly,we very seldom ever get them back for any problems.

I would say in most circumstances if something did happen to one of these wire reticles there is also going to be other damage to the scope that would have rendered the scope inoperable even if it had a glass reticle (for example: <span style="color: #FF0000">tumbling down a mountain face, run over by vehicle,</span>etc...)

Scott

</div></div>

Which, coincidentally, is covered by the warranty, right?
wink.gif
</div></div>

That is 100% correct.

Scott

Thanks for the responses Scott. It is great to see a vendor as involved as Vortex. I've decided to give this new HS a shot (bad pun intended).

However, if you guys offer a PST w/o illuminated reticle at some point in the future for say $100-150 less than the current PSTs I'm going to lose my mind. I suspect this came up in the decision making process about this new Midway HS and was axed for fear it would cut into the PST market share too much...not that I think you are in a position to confirm or deny such speculation on my part.

Again thanks again for being upfront and accessible.

Well, I believe that I have about made up my mind on this one. It is lookin too good to turn away from. I am gonna have to get my hands on one...

DK

Don't forget that midway also has the 50.00 off a 500.00$ purchase right now. Not sure if it applies to back order or not. The 50$ off is a regular thing so ultimately you could score this for 450.00 if you play it right.

Vortex is really impressing me lately. Would love to see a Razor fixed 12X wink wink.

From everything that I see, there isn't anything on the negative to this scope. Exposed turrents, mil-dot, 44mm OBJ, 30mm tube, 15X top end power, zero-stop, 100% lifetime warranty, and a bad ass price to wrap up the deal!!

I will now be a multiple Vortex scope owner!!

DK

Glad I found this thread. As soon as one of you fellas gets your hands on one of these can you please post up your initial impressions? Seriously considering getting one of these instead of the SS 16x that I just pre-ordered.

Just to confirm; this is a SFP reticle, correct? I'm hoping that spec is still wrong and it's a FFP...

To the best of my knowledge it is a SFP. It could be set up like the SFP PSTs meaning the reticle substentions are accurate on 15X and there is a mark on the mag rings at 7.5 letting you know it's 2X at that mag level. Perhaps Scott can chime in on this. Either way this looks like a very good optic for the price range!

I'm looking hard at this scope or the Weaver 3-15x50, which for about $175 more has FFP.

I don't need FFP, but wonder about differences in quality of glass...

I'll only be shooting paper out to 400 initially, but my club will likely build a 1,000 yd range this year... then I get "price creep" when I think for only another $75 above the Weaver I can get the PST in 6-24! (my old eyes like a little extra power...)

OTOH, I could probably practice for a few years at 400 before trying longer distances, so I'd likely be better off spending a bit less on a scope and putting the money towards ammo and trigger time...

Looking forward to hearing more...