• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Vortex Viper HS LR FFP scopes with XLR reticle

bunsen27

ACME Labs
Minuteman
Jan 2, 2011
Raleigh, NC
I was surfing around their website and noticed this was listed under "New Products for 2012". (Sorry if this was previously posted.)

http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/viper-hs-lr-6-24x50-ffp-with%20xlr-moa-reticle

capped windage with 1/4 MOA adj and exposed elevation with 1/2 MOA. MSRP = $1k I'm really digging the XLR reticle and FFP capabilities as well. I'm curious if this reticle might be an upgrade option for the existing PST's in next 12-18 months?

I'm not sure why they didn't include the windage holds for every substension, but it still should be highly functional even without them.

XLR reticle
sub_vhs-lr_f_6-24x50_xlr.jpg

Re: Vortex Viper HS LR FFP scopes with XLR reticle

imo this will not be a upgrade to the pst it will be more of a latteral. personally im not a fan of 1/2 moa elevation clicks. i think its more of another option than a upgrade

Sorry I might not have been clear; I was wondering aloud if the new XLR reticle might find it's way into the PST line in the near future, not that this scope is an upgrade to the PST line. It is an interesting hybrid between the HS & PST lines though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BCP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">With a reticule like that you wouldn't need to dial unless you really wanted to. </div></div>

That is what piqued my interest. I'm a hold over/off rather than dial type of shooter.
wink.gif
The addition of it being FFP brings a lot to the table as well for me. I dearly love my FFP PST, but I've secrectly wished for an upgraded reticule. The 1/2 MOA elevation adjustment also gives you a bit more range to dial out to extended ranges if you choose. 24 MOA with one turn of the turret works for me.
grin.gif

I really like the look of the new reticle. Like you said, with FFP, it looks great for holdover. It was my understanding the Viper HS line of scopes were very similar to the PST's, but aimed at the hunting market. Although the 2 models with the XLR option have exposed turrets and a zero stop. Not all that necessary if the idea of the reticle is to use it for holdovers.

Hope they have an easier time getting these to market on time. I'd be interested in the 4-16X50mm.

I would think we'd see them in the PST... It's in the Razor and I think they will have the same thing in a 1-4x as well... Unless I'm remembering wrong...

The PST is a great price point. Hopefully they will expand the line.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigJohn141</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would like to see this or the ebr-2b in a pst. </div></div>

Put it in a 4-16 FFP PST Mil/Mil I'd buy one.

Im a fan of the 1/2 moa clicks. the 1/2 moa single turn EREK from USO is sweet. I used my 1/4 moa PST at the last match and it was turn turn turn. Id glady cut those in half.

I dont know about the reticle having 2 moa hashes though, Ill keep the EBR-moa.

I'm a fan of the 1/2 MOA clicks and this reticle definitely looks promising. 24 MOA per turn is awesome!

Any Idea when these will actually be available? I know the website said "Fall of 2012". I thought maybe some dealers got some feedback from the shot show in January.

Brandon

I Like EBR1, but would love the open center for FFP...
I pray they look at doing that on EBR-FFP 6-24...
...Wink wink Mr.Vortex... :)

Rgds

SvN

Looks a little like Nightforce's Velocity 1000 reticle.

Depends on how you wanna look at it... looks a little like the Razor EBR-2B reticle to me

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Outdoorsman9</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Depends on how you wanna look at it... looks a little like the Razor EBR-2B reticle to me </div></div>

Bingo, or an EBR-2 with the Bravo number locations, in an MOA flavor.

This is a scope no one has really talked about...but rumor has it it will be here before Fall (Vortex has learned from the PST biz).

No MRAD version planned for 2012 to my knowledge.

I think was designed as an high end long range hunting optic

You gotta hand it to Vortex, they keep expanding on their concepts to the point of being able to offer something for darn near everybody.

Smart.

I hope your rumor is true! What do you get for one of the 6-24x50 FFP XLR? I assume it will be a little cheaper than the PST since it's not a lit reticle??
Thanks, Brandon

Any news on when these will actually become available.
Thanks, Brandon

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A mil version is going to be a great seller.</div></div>

I asked. Not gonna happen any time soon. I'm not sure why they decided to go with MOA in the first place. Oh well, they still have the PST, I suppose.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Me</div><div class="ubbcode-body">From: ________ [mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: Tuesday, June 19, 2012 12:49 AM
To: VX Information
Subject: Viper HS LR 6-24x50 FFP

I was looking through your website and noticed the "Viper HS LR 6-24x50 FFP" scope. At first glance, this seems to be the perfect scope for me! I love the idea of the capped windage turret and uncapped elevation turret, and the reticle is amazing! More FFP reticles need to have an open center for precise aiming.

The only problem is that the scope is MOA based. I really would prefer a mil based scope. Are there any plans to make this scope in mil/mil configuration (with a similar reticle, pleeeeease!)?

Thanks,
_________
</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Vortex CS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hello,

Thank you for your interest in Vortex. There is currently nothing like this in the works. We certainly appreciate the comments and recommendations and will keep them in mind.’

Best Regards

Scott Parks
</div></div>

Personally, I do not like the open Cross Hair in the center. If you were taught to focus on the cross hair before the shot, it is distracting because there is NO CROSSHAIR!!!

I have the same issue with my Weaver Tacticla with the Enhanced Mill-Dot Reticle... No Center Cross Hair...

The reason for the .1 Mil clicks is to make sure that you are on target and as close to the Bull as Possible!!!! The smaller the adjustment the finer tuning that can be done...

Just my .02!!!!

Good Luck Guys!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rick 324</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Personally, I do not like the open Cross Hair in the center. If you were taught to focus on the cross hair before the shot, it is distracting because there is NO CROSSHAIR!!!

I have the same issue with my Weaver Tacticla with the Enhanced Mill-Dot Reticle... No Center Cross Hair...

The reason for the .1 Mil clicks is to make sure that you are on target and as close to the Bull as Possible!!!! The smaller the adjustment the finer tuning that can be done...

Just my .02!!!!

Good Luck Guys!!!</div></div>

Actually, .1 mil clicks are pretty coarse. Around 1/3MOA. If you want a fine adjustment, go with a 1/8MOA or even a 1/4MOA. Also note that the XLR reticle has an open center with a DOT in the middle, just for fine aiming. A very small, precise dot, I might add.

75moa total adjustment with 1/2moa clicks... I'd expect and like to see 100+ total.

This scope/reticle is very intriguing to me though.

Temp9, What I was refering to was that .1 mil clicks are more precise than .5 mil. Yes .1 mil (.36" / Click) clicks are larger adjustment than 1/4 MOA, but they are much smaller adjustments that .5 mil (1.8" / Click). Makes it much easier to sight in accurately!!

Thanks!

Looks pretty nice to me. But then I'm a fan of the "open" crosshair, I have TLR's in my Leupy's an its a small opening. Makes centering on the target a little easier when things start to get obscured by the hairs as the distances increase.
Although I know for a fact there's more than a few Pdog's out in SD that didnt like it to much.

I just got off of the horn with Vortex and they said an XLR PST could be in the works if there is a demand from us. The guy I spoke to said they do listen to what we want and that is evident by their line up. I also asked if a conversion of the XLR reticle be possible with an already purchased PST, once again if there is a demand. So if you are an MOA reticle user and want this in the PST scope I would suggest you email them.

What ghostface said. They soft quoted me about 100 bucks to upgrade. It is contingent on a demand to the customer care people. Mil Christmas tree in a PST would be awesome. Call em up and let them know that is what customers want.

Isn't this just a copy of G2DMR (bushnell) ?

Or is it just me...

Similar concept, as are many of the Horus reticles. Much better execution, in my opinion. I don't like all the lines running everywhere on the G2/Horus versions.

Why would they offer this reticle in the HS instead of the PST and then put them both so close to the same price?

I was happy hear this scope was coming out, until I heard only ffp and $50ish less than a pst ffp. No lit reticle, no exposed windage and the same price ish. I have a 4-16 hs lr and was hoping for a 6-24 or more maybe something in the 30 power range with a better reticle. And if it is anything like the pst was and everything vortex offers there will not be more than a few out until next spring.

My scope is in transit and should be here Monday or Tuesday. If it wasn't Thanksgiving week I'd have it by Fri for the weekend.
frown.gif

Props to Scott at Liberty Optics for not thinking I was crazy when I emailed him about this in Jan and making sure I was able to get one as soon as they were available!! Review and photos to follow.

Are you saying that the Viper HS LR's with the XLR reticle have finally begun shipping? If so, that's awesome!!!

Placed my order a couple weeks ago. Maybe my Christas gift to myself will arrive on time after all.

BBB

Yes they have started shipping, in what quantities I don't know. My scope is serial #000587

IMG_2148.jpg

IMG_2149.jpg

IMG_2151.jpg

IMG_2152.jpg

IMG_2153.jpg

<span style="font-size: 23pt">6x</span>
IMG_2154.jpg

<span style="font-size: 23pt">12x</span>
IMG_2155.jpg

<span style="font-size: 23pt">24x</span>
IMG_2156.jpg

Sorry for the less than stellar through scope pictures, but you get the idea what the reticules relative size is at the three different powers. At 6x the windage holds are a bit small and faint, but from 8x and up they are very visible. The power ring is marked at 6x, 8x, 12x, and 24x is 1.1750in OD and constructed of a hard plastic. <span style="text-decoration: underline">It is NOT the existing rubber power ring that is on the PST's or other HS's if you were planning on putting a MGM switchview on it.</span> The closest switchview model is the SVMDMS at 1.762in, but it is notched where the Viper HS is not( LINK SVMDMS ).

The elevation knob is identical to the existing HS line and is 1 click = 1/2 MOA thus 24MOA per revolution. The windage knob is capped and 1 click = 1/4 MOA thus 12MOA per revolution. It has the same eyepiece and objective lens size as the PST line which IIRC would be a Butler Creek #43 Obj and #14 or #16 eye. Overall it shares a lot of commonality with the 6-24x50 PST FFP.

I'm really liking the XLR reticule with the open center and micro-fine aiming dot. The lines are also much thinner than the EBR-1 (0.10 vs 0.18). The only slight negative I've noted is that the reference numbers are MUCH smaller than the EBR-1 and could be a little difficult to see clearly in certain situations.

If anybody has questions I'll do my best to answer them, and again thanks to Scott at Liberty Optics!

Really happy for ya! Looks impressive. If you don't mind showing off a bit more, please post range pics and offer up a range report.

BBB

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bennybooboo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Really happy for ya! Looks impressive. If you don't mind showing off a bit more, please post range pics and offer up a range report.

BBB </div></div>

I'll try to get better through scope pictures this weekend. Is there anything specifically you would like to see or know about the scope?

<span style="text-decoration: underline">It truely is a PST without illumination, a capped 1/4MOA windage knob, 1/2MOA elevation turret, and a different reticle.</span> All other aspects are identical to a PST.

Glass quality is the same as my 6-24XPST. Turrets have a very positive click when adjusted. I'm REALLY liking the XLR reticule and will be having my PST EBR-1 upgraded to the XLR when Vortex has enough extra XLR reticules (6-12 months) to accomodate such request (~$135). What I like about the XLR reticule is that the line thickness has been reduced nearly 50% from the EBR-1 (0.18 to 0.10). The open center with micro dot is very nice for precision aiming as well (dot drill).

With the windage holds marks on every other hash mark I personally find it easier to keep straight what dot I'm using when holding elevation and wind. I've had the opportunity to shoot a Horus type reticule. With the dots on every hash mark I would get confused which row I was on, have to back to center, then come back out to find my windage. YMMV with Horus type reticules.

Did anybody else happen to get their hands on one of these yet?

Ok, I'm going to have to call Vortex about this. If this was illuminated for low light conditions it would be great. I'd like a 4-16 version.

What'd be really great is some through-the-scope pics that demonstrate the clarity, reticle, and magnification capabilities.

Also, please let us know how the box-test turns out and if the reticle hold-overs place shots accurately.

But most importantly, let us know how much fun you have with your new toy.

BBB

Man I can't wait for them to do the conversions on the PST! Awsome reticle....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bunsen</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm REALLY liking the XLR reticule and will be having my PST EBR-1 upgraded to the XLR when Vortex has enough extra XLR reticules (6-12 months) to accomodate such request (~$135). </div></div>

Where/When did you hear that this was going to be possible?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gannon</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bunsen</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm REALLY liking the XLR reticule and will be having my PST EBR-1 upgraded to the XLR when Vortex has enough extra XLR reticules (6-12 months) to accomodate such request (~$135). </div></div>

Where/When did you hear that this was going to be possible? </div></div>

I emailed Vortex CS and this was their response:

<span style="font-style: italic">We appreciate your continued interested in our products. We always love to hear from our loyal Vortex users! Regarding the XLR reticle change, we aren’t able to offer this service at this time. We are using every XLR reticle we have to produce the required number of XLR scopes to fulfill the numerous backorders we currently have. Feel free to check back with us on this option in the next 6-12 months. Sorry about that! The cost for reticle changes is normally $135.00, so that at least gives you something to think about.

I have forwarded your match sponsorship suggestion to the gentleman who handles these requests.

Thank you again for your support, and we hope to be able to provide this service in the future!

Kind regards,

logo

Kelli Hamilton

Customer Care

800-426-0048 option 4</span>

I know several others have mentioned in this thread about contacting Vortex and getting a similar response. It's more of a "someday" than a "someday soon" kind of deal. I'm hoping by next Fall or Winter they will be caught up and able to offer this service.

Benny, I won't be getting to play with my new toy anytime soon so no box test data, but I'll try and get some better through scope photos whilst freaking out my neighbors. I hate living in suburbia.

Please let us know if the switchview works good with the scope or if you come across a better one. I am sure a lot of people are wondering about this because it the the same mag adjustment ring that is on the midway 5-15 viper HS.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigJohn141</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Please let us know if the switchview works good with the scope or if you come across a better one. I am sure a lot of people are wondering about this because it the the same mag adjustment ring that is on the midway 5-15 viper HS. </div></div>
This one works - http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/vortex-switchview-throw-lever-sv-2

I just ordered one of these and it should be here wednesday.

Just took mine to the range today for the first time. Love it! Very glad I sprung a few extra bills to get it.

Man I love Vortex..something for everyone! I really like this scope. I'll be getting the 4-16 version and do wish it had illumination. But Half MOA and a capped windage is just what I like. I have the MOA stuff drilled in my skull so with a FFP recticle this will be perfect.