• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Vortex Viper HS LR optics.......need some input

223Rem

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 1, 2004
Ocean View
Any news or reviews on this line from Vortex? Really like the features versus price point.

TIA

Re: Vortex Viper HS LR optics.......need some input

I hope someone has some info. Im looking at them too.

Larry

I got mine last week, the 4-16x50 hs lr, great eye relief and my gun is shooting 1/4 to half inch groups to 100, all i've got to shoot it. Great looking scope!

I've heard the guys over at Gunwerks recommend Vortex, however I haven't had any experience with the brand.

Well, I pulled the trigger on a 4-16x50 HS Long Range with Dead-hold BDC reticle. Midway helped me make the decision with $75 off the order of $500 or more........

I have shot them. Very nice, beefy, well made, excellent glass. I know some people that swear by Leupold and Nightforce for their personal guns, and those they build for clients, and they are considering offering Vortex as an option now. Worth a look, lots of features for price point and excellent warranty service if required from what I hear. Not exactly a scientific review... hope it helps some.

these new Vipers are nice quality. The reticle is also much thinner as compared to the standard Vipers. My hunting buddy ditched his, stating the reticle was just too thin for hunting. I actually didn't mind it!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 223Rem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well, I pulled the trigger on a 4-16x50 HS Long Range with Dead-hold BDC reticle. Midway helped me make the decision with $75 off the order of $500 or more........

</div></div>

Same here!

quote=LibertyOptics]We have the 4-16x50 HS LR in stock, and later this week, the 4-16x44 HS LR.

Scott[/quote]

Scott have you taken the time to check them out and if so do you have any comments or opinions you would share? Glass quality comparison to PST or for some of us who do not have vortex where does it fall into other typical hunting scopes in that price range for a glass comparison: Nikon monarch, Burris, Leupold, Ziess? Features look to be hybrid between viper pst and a capped turret hunting scope, is that a fair assesment? I am mainly refering to the LR version with the exposed elevation turret. Any other info would be appreciated really like the idea at the price as others have stated.

247- on the 1/2 moa: do you think a 1/2 moa adjustment would be too much of a range on elevation going from too low impact to too high impact in one "click" that would result in a miss on deer or other large game? Not trying to challenge your statement I just didn't figure it would be an issue but maybe I am missing something?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jsthntn247</div><div class="ubbcode-body">sure wished it didn't have 1/2 moa adjustments. </div></div>

I agree, I was kind of surprised to see that they did that.

Why would they use 1/2 moa adjustment on elevation and 1/4 moa on windage , what is the logic behind this

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SCS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why would they use 1/2 moa adjustment on elevation and 1/4 moa on windage , what is the logic behind this </div></div>

As to the 1/2 MOA on elevation I can see that in order to get more MOA per turret revolution. I believe Huskama(sp?) does a 1/3 MOA elevation turret for that very reason.

As for the 1/4 MOA on windage, either they wanted to give you greater precision, or more likely they didn't want to have to design and manufacture another type of turret than the existing Viper line. Helps keep the cost and time to market down.

For a hunting or tactical scope 1/2 MOA elevation adjustment is a good thing. Twice as fast and more accurate/fine than most people and rifles are going to be shooting in field conditions anyways.

If you adjust for wind it's usually not much, no real need for larger/faster adjustments or a larger turret sticking out on the side for catching on things. Most people will eventually just hold for wind since it's neither constant or consistent and just adds time.

ya'll wont be dissapointed!! Shot mine again today and couldn't be happier.

Recieved and mounted, very nice scope on first impression
not able to go to range till next weekend and try it out.

I had a chance to take a look at one a month ago. I was impressed with the glass and the reticle for steel matches. The only thing it doesn't have is a high speed elevation turret which is handy on NATO cartridges at extended ranges.

1/2 MOA adjustments with 24 MOA per turn is more high speed than the majority of scopes out there. Maybe you looked at one of the non-LR models.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Captramrod01</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jsthntn247</div><div class="ubbcode-body">sure wished it didn't have 1/2 moa adjustments. </div></div>

I agree, I was kind of surprised to see that they did that. </div></div>

The reasoning behind the .5 moa elevation turret is because we designed this scope with our custom turrets in mind. The .5 moa turret allows you to get enough distance in one rotation(24moa) for most long range hunting cartridges for most situations.

Another thing to consider is that even know they are .5moa you are never more than .25moa off your target which is more than close enough for 99% of game.

Maybe to put it even more into perspective- The US Army issued M24 sniper scopes have 1 moa elevation adjustments.

If anyone has any questions feel free to contact us anytime at 800-426-0048.

Scott

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scott_at_Vortex</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Captramrod01</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jsthntn247</div><div class="ubbcode-body">sure wished it didn't have 1/2 moa adjustments. </div></div>

I agree, I was kind of surprised to see that they did that. </div></div>

The reasoning behind the .5 moa elevation turret is because we designed this scope with our custom turrets in mind. The .5 moa turret allows you to get enough distance in one rotation(24moa) for most long range hunting cartridges for most situations.

Another thing to consider is that even know they are .5moa you are never more than .25moa off your target which is more than close enough for 99% of game.

Maybe to put it even more into perspective- The US Army issued M24 sniper scopes have 1 moa elevation adjustments.

If anyone has any questions feel free to contact us anytime at 800-426-0048.

Scott
</div></div>

BTW, I REALLY like the re-designed BDC reticle with the wind hash marks now in 2MOA increments instead of the 3.6MOA & 7.4MOA increments. I'd dearly love to see you change the elevation marks to 2MOA increments to mimic the PST EBR-01 MOA reticle. Of course that might cut slightly into your PST sales as it would have some of the same functional characteristics, but at a lower price point. I know if you switched the reticle I'd be buying several for my hunting and target rifles that I can't afford/justify topping with PST's. That EBR-01 reticle just works so well, I loath shooting any other reticle where a hold off/over is required.
grin.gif

.5MOA will keep me from buying one. Coming from a benchrest background, even as limited as it was, having to hold that much by eyeballing it means a missed shot.

If you have turrets, don't you use your markings? Makes too many click argument moot in my opinion

I don't know what you mean by having to hold .5 MOA - you are not going to hold higher or lower to adjust for not having a 1/4 MOA or 1/8 MOA adjustments.

The point is speed, being able to get adjusted out to longer ranges as quickly as possible without having too coarse of an adjustment value. The variables of your rifle, ammunition, weather shifts, using field positions, etc. make more of a difference than aiming 2" higher or lower than ideal at 800 yards or 1.5" at 600.

It's not meant for immobilized target shooting in the middle of the day where you don't have targets which might disappear into a tree line or over a hill.

I recently purchased the 2.4-10x44 HS and its a fine scope. I have only two discrepancies I'm not sure I can live with for my needs, one is that the BDC reticle is too thin for woods hunting, in my opinion. And second is that the resolution at longer distances seem to be a tad muddy, so to speak. I could not focus or adjust the sharpness through the eyepiece to help with sharpening the image.
This could be just me that I'm too picky or have seen the likes of other premium scopes and am making an unfair comparison; the bar has been raised, but in a way higher price point.
The other aspects of the image do very well though, the color, brightness and clarity (at shorter ranges, for me), edge to edge and around the reticle's center. The functionality of the scope also does well. I really like the metal adjustment caps, unlike the plastic ones other manufacturer's are using.
I would by the higher magnification 4-16 if I needed one. Good scope overall.

Had the scope out for a run over the weekend and found that the .5 moa adj didnt bother me at all. Glad I pulled the trigger on it.

Vortex scopes have been good to me so far, not problems. What is with 0.5 MOA though, I don't understand that marketing plan.

How I understand it the .5 moa make for quicker adjustment (24moa) per revolution.

I bought one last week for my boys 264WM in 2.5-10, it has 1/4 moa adjustment and the reticle is kinda of fine for me(his eyes are much better then mine). It has really nice glass though and tracked very well. He shot a 5 shot group that measured .577 inch so no complaints from him. price was was very good also.

I have a sass would this hs scope work on it or should i go with the viper 6.5-20, what will be my down side to the scope

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sled Agent</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a sass would this hs scope work on it or should i go with the viper 6.5-20, what will be my down side to the scope </div></div>

hello

I cannot offer up any reviews yet.. but based on reviews I have read on multiple sites the only problem was the fine cross-hairs. That would depend on the reticle of course! I did order one tonight for less than $400 from Caneraland in a damaged box with the same warranty. Can't wait to see how well I like or not like it. Bob.

I cannot offer up any reviews yet.. but based on reviews I have read on multiple sites the only problem was the fine cross-hairs. That would depend on the reticle of course! I did order one tonight for less than $400 from Caneraland in a damaged box with the same warranty. Can't wait to see how well I like or not like it. Bob.

Are you aware that you just replied to a thread from 2011?

i know it's a 3 year old thread but i think this is a good spot to put this, if you are thinking of getting the HSLR 6-24X50 FFP don't .

i have been using this scope for 3 months now in all conditions and it's driving me nuts , if i try to use it over 16x it (for a better term)

whites out like it fogs up . and you can't see bugger all..

cheers D

Not recently, but I have watched their show over the last few years I have never seen them use Vortex. On their show they used Nightforce. On their website they advertise Huskemaw. Not to say that they do not recommend them... But, they may go to the highest bidder.

i know it's a 3 year old thread but i think this is a good spot to put this, if you are thinking of getting the HSLR 6-24X50 FFP don't .

i have been using this scope for 3 months now in all conditions and it's driving me nuts , if i try to use it over 16x it (for a better term)

whites out like it fogs up . and you can't see bugger all..

cheers D

You need to send it in than been using mine for a year in less than nice conditions with out one problem. Know of a few others also with out problem. Mmr reticle is very nice

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2