• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Vortex Viper PST 4-16x -vs- 6-24x 50mm scopes

michael_aos

Sergeant
Minuteman
The 4-16x is slightly lighter, slightly shorter, and slightly less-expensive.

Assuming 16x is plenty for "practical" purposes is there a good reason not to just get the 24x and use it primarily @ ~16x?

Knowing there is a little more magnification available if for some reason it becomes necessary.

Re: Vortex Viper PST 4-16x -vs- 6-24x 50mm scopes

I'm going to go with the 24x. At my age ya need all the help ya can get!

I shoot with the 16x and had a 20x Viper before this one. I can tell you that the only time I want a 24 is to see my hits better on steel at 500 plus. The 16 is nice because it is shorter. If I had it to do over again I still would by the 16x but to each his own.

I have no experience with the 4-16x, but I did just receive the 24x and I absolutely love it. From a guy who has never had a "fancy" scope, this one is very impressive to me.

I actually got the 24x scope hoping I can take it with me as my skills increase. My intent really is to use the extra 10x to zoom in on targets to see where my bullets impacted.

My theory is: I'd rather have the extra power and never use it than want it and not have it. And Yes.....it is a relatively heavy scope.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jethro3898</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd rather have the extra power and never use it than want it and not have it.</div></div>

That's kind of my thinking as well.

I used to shoot a Nightforce 3.5-15x and it was definitely "enough" magnification to complete the task.

I replaced it with a Premier 5-25x. I think it's nice for especially small targets at extended distances, and I don't think I really give up anything.

I do tend to crank up the magnification even when it's not absolutely necessary, but that's more of an issue with me than the scope.
--

I think there's a perception of "spray and pray" with a semi-auto that's absent from a bolt-action.

In the same vein, I tend to wonder if I'm doing myself a disservice by making the additional magnification available.
--

I have the 6-24 and had the 4-16. I like to run from 16-20 power out to 1k depending on mirage. The 16x reticle thickness on 16 power was more than I liked compared to the 24x set on 16-20 power, my prefered mag range. The 4-16 is noticeably smaller and lighter if that is important to you. Now, if I didn't compare the two side by side I would have been satisfied with the 4-16, however.

According to internet reviews... the 6-24 is in a different league glass wise from the 4-16. Whether that's true with all copies, who knows, but I went 6-24 for the added range. Rather have more and not need it. Since it was for a longer range rifle and not for hunting, I didn't really need the low end.

In my opinion it really comes down to what your using it for. If this is a target gun go with the higher power. If it is a hunting gun go with the 16x so you will have a bigger field of view.

I went with the 4-16 for my .223. I was pounding steel at 710 on that 5.3 mag level. On a side note, why on earth did they decide to put that mag level on the ring??? It goes from "4" to "5.3". I know there has to be a reason for it, I just can't find it! I love this scope for the price!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hk dave</div><div class="ubbcode-body">According to internet reviews... the 6-24 is in a different league glass wise from the 4-16. Whether that's true with all copies, who knows, but I went 6-24 for the added range. Rather have more and not need it. Since it was for a longer range rifle and not for hunting, I didn't really need the low end. </div></div>

I have both and there's no difference in clarity.
What reviews are you talking about ?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AtOne</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hk dave</div><div class="ubbcode-body">According to internet reviews... the 6-24 is in a different league glass wise from the 4-16. Whether that's true with all copies, who knows, but I went 6-24 for the added range. Rather have more and not need it. Since it was for a longer range rifle and not for hunting, I didn't really need the low end. </div></div>

What reviews are you talking about ? </div></div>

This might be one example that hk dave could be referring to:

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2511913

I'll be going with the 6-24 since it'll be on a bolt gun that most likely won't be used for hunting

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Drifter_1</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AtOne</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hk dave</div><div class="ubbcode-body">According to internet reviews... the 6-24 is in a different league glass wise from the 4-16. Whether that's true with all copies, who knows, but I went 6-24 for the added range. Rather have more and not need it. Since it was for a longer range rifle and not for hunting, I didn't really need the low end. </div></div>

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2511913 </div></div>

That comparision is with the 4-16x50 <span style="color: #CC0000">SFP</span> version while all the other scopes tested we're FFP.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AtOne</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Drifter_1</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AtOne</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hk dave</div><div class="ubbcode-body">According to internet reviews... the 6-24 is in a different league glass wise from the 4-16. Whether that's true with all copies, who knows, but I went 6-24 for the added range. Rather have more and not need it. Since it was for a longer range rifle and not for hunting, I didn't really need the low end. </div></div>

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2511913 </div></div>

That comparision is with the 4-16x50 <span style="color: #CC0000">SFP</span> version while all the other scopes tested we're FFP.
</div></div>

Man oh man !

This is getting confusing.....

I am about to order a 4-16x50 PST FFP MRAD (6-24 would be too big for my rifle...) and reading these things really does not help !

Is it a confirmed factor that 4-16 PST sucks on glass compared to the bigger brother...?

You 4-16's owners out there.....show me the "light" please...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AtOne</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Drifter_1</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AtOne</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hk dave</div><div class="ubbcode-body">According to internet reviews... the 6-24 is in a different league glass wise from the 4-16. Whether that's true with all copies, who knows, but I went 6-24 for the added range. Rather have more and not need it. Since it was for a longer range rifle and not for hunting, I didn't really need the low end. </div></div>

</div></div>

Sorry, didn't realize that different glass is used in different focal plane PST models.

Here's a comparison of both scopes in FFP models:

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2365784&page=1

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Joseph Z</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AtOne</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Drifter_1</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AtOne</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
hk dave said:
According to internet reviews... the 6-24 is in a different league glass wise from the 4-16. Whether that's true with all copies, who knows, but I went 6-24 for the added range. Rather have more and not need it. Since it was for a longer range rifle and not for hunting, I didn't really need the low end. </div></div>

</div></div>

Man oh man !

I am about to order a 4-16x50 PST FFP MRAD (6-24 would be too big for my rifle...) and reading these things really does not help !

Is it a confirmed factor that 4-16 PST sucks on glass compared to the bigger brother...?

You 4-16's owners out there.....show me the "light" please... </div></div>

Joseph; there's not much confusion. I dont know where you got the "confirmed factor the 4-16 PST sucks on glass..."

The PST's are great for the money. I have the 4-16 FFP mil, and I like it very much. Compared to an old Leupy 4.5-14 I have, I would say it's better glass. Each to his own though.

After having mine for a few months now, and shooting 3-400 rounds under it thus far, I only have two complaints; the turrets tend to move when I sling the rifle, (which isnt a too big of a deal, as I always check em before shooting), and second, the resolution at 500yds+ isnt that great to my eye at 16x. Could be me, I dunno.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TallShot</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Joseph Z</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Man oh man !

You 4-16's owners out there.....show me the "light" please... </div></div>

Joseph; there's not much confusion. I dont know where you got the "confirmed factor the 4-16 PST sucks on glass..."

The PST's are great for the money. I have the 4-16 FFP mil, and I like it very much. Compared to an old Leupy 4.5-14 I have, I would say it's better glass. Each to his own though.

After having mine for a few months now, and shooting 3-400 rounds under it thus far, I only have two complaints; the turrets tend to move when I sling the rifle, (which isnt a too big of a deal, as I always check em before shooting), and second, the resolution at 500yds+ isnt that great to my eye at 16x. Could be me, I dunno.

</div></div>

First of all, thank you for your clarifying post.
cool.gif

Well...I have just read the reviews on this scope, which does not really talk too good about its glass quality.
It's described as the 6-24 PST's poor brother...

Your post is what I was looking for, ...reports from Owners...

I took the plunge and ordered one (4-16x50 PST FFP MRAD) which should (hopefully) reach my door middle of next week (it was confirmed "IN STOCK" with a 2-3 days delivery time...).

I know reviews sometimes do not do justice to some product but this is the only way to find out about something you or your buddies has never seen...or heard of.

I did not mean to state tha this product is meant to be bad quality (mine was a question, with a question mark...
grin.gif
).
I have only "passed on" my concern referring to what I read to that moment.

On the other end, everyone talks about Vortex outstanding CS, and that's what made my mind up, basically !

I hope I have made the right choice...

J

I think you'll be happy with it. It really surprised me for the price.

I forgot to add that it box-tested/tracked just fine as well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FALex</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I went with the 4-16 for my .223. I was pounding steel at 710 on that 5.3 mag level. On a side note, why on earth did they decide to put that mag level on the ring??? It goes from "4" to "5.3". I know there has to be a reason for it, I just can't find it! I love this scope for the price! </div></div>

That's the SFP version?

The reticule would be 3 times larger at a magnification of 5 1/3x than it would be at 16x. The ring is probably 5 1/3, but marked as 5.3 because 5.3333333333 doesn't fit well on a label on the mag ring. At that setting each mil (or moa)mark on the reticule actually subtends 3mil (or moa).

When it comes to the 4-16x vs 6-24x... it's only what i read in reviews. I take reviews i read online with a grain of salt... unless they're from people of note or i've seen plenty of photographic samples done right.
smile.gif

Got the 4-16x50 PST FFP here today.
Did not have too much time to look at it, yet.
Just opened the package and took a glimpse.
Planning to have some time to play with it next week...and will report back.

Do you know what size BC flip up covers are needed ?

TY

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Joseph Z</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Got the 4-16x50 PST FFP here today.

TY
</div></div>

No one ?
frown.gif

I had both the 4-16x50mm and the 6-24x50mm FFP MRAD. I sold the 6-24x50mm. The Glass on both of them is very good especially for the price.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/dODyy6ep7tM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/pqTmTvoDNkk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Mike @ CST

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Joseph Z</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Got the 4-16x50 PST FFP here today.
Did not have too much time to look at it, yet.
Just opened the package and took a glimpse.
Planning to have some time to play with it next week...and will report back.
</div></div>

OK, I had some time to play around with it now....and had the chance to fire a few shots and set it up.

The zeroing procedure was quite simple and didn't take much.

Did the "zero-stop shims thing" and it left me with 13 Mils of elevation left from the zero set at 100.
For the use I intend for now it's plenty.

I have used the software (LRBC) Vortex advertises on their website and I must say it's pretty good.
After zeroing in @ 100 (m.) I have moved to 170 (m)and was dead on.
Moved to 300 (m) and dialed in the 1,4 Mils (according to Vortex ballistic software) and, again, it was dead on.

Reticle is great and turrets feel good.

Now I'll have to take it out in the field and check all the features, particularly glass performance in different environmental (light) conditions.

So far so good
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Joseph Z</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Joseph Z</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Got the 4-16x50 PST FFP here today.

TY
</div></div>

No one ?
frown.gif
</div></div>

16 occular / 43 objective according to a post by one of the vendors. Mine is showing up this afternoon and I have the BC flip-ups waiting. I will try them for fit and verify for you.

Here is the link: http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2273553

I imagine he knows what he is talking about.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: earthtrekker1775</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Joseph Z</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Joseph Z</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Got the 4-16x50 PST FFP here today.

TY
</div></div>

No one ?
frown.gif
</div></div>

16 occular / 43 objective according to a post by one of the vendors. Mine is showing up this afternoon and I have the BC flip-ups waiting. I will try them for fit and verify for you.

Here is the link: http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2273553

I imagine he knows what he is talking about. </div></div>

Yep Man, that is the correct size.

43 Obj, and 16 Eye.

Got'em today and put them straight on.

Front fits perfectly, while ocular fits a little snug, but OK.
I'd assume the smaller size would be too tight.

wink.gif

Does the illumination knob block your view of the elevation turret out of your non shooting eye (assuming a right-handed shooter) while holding cheek weld?

No, but it does sorta get in the way if you have a level that mounts on the scope at 11 o'clock. No biggie though.

The PST's are a good scope. Not as sharp as the NF's I shoot with, but definitely clear and serviceable out to a grand. Based on the VIP warranty and the bang for the buck, I plan on using them on the majority of my rifles as funds allow. I currently have the 4-16 since it's a target/hunting rig, but may go with a 6-24 on the next one as it will be for targets primarily. I really don't know how you could go wrong with either.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Joseph Z</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yep Man, that is the correct size.

43 Obj, and 16 Eye.

wink.gif
</div></div>

I put mine on the scope and the objective fits perfectly and the ocular cap is actually a bit loose. I will probably fix it with a wrap or two of electrical tape underneath.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: earthtrekker1775</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Joseph Z</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yep Man, that is the correct size.

43 Obj, and 16 Eye.

wink.gif
</div></div>

I put mine on the scope and the objective fits perfectly and the ocular cap is actually a bit loose. I will probably fix it with a wrap or two of electrical tape underneath.</div></div>

Did you guys remove the rubber "scope bite" ring on the eye piece before putting the BC flip cap on or did you leave it in place and put the flip cap over it?

I left in place.