• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50 SFP, FFP WELL?

Rhinomax

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 28, 2010
Georgia
I have heard they have had a problem with the glass and are now fixing it on the current models. Anyone heard about this. I also heard they are egg shaped when you look in the scope.

If you own one would you by again or safe up for a 3x15x50 used nightforce?

Thanks

Rhino

Re: Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50 SFP, FFP WELL?

I own the 6-24x50 SFP version. It has the egg shaped view problem. It only occurs on the lowest powers when you are dialed close to the edges of the adjustment range.

No eggs in mine nor any other issues. But, if you want a NF go ahead and<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rhinomax</div><div class="ubbcode-body">safe up</div></div>they are nice too.

I dint think you realize how minor that egg shape issue is. It's like getting a BMW and complainingthe rear ash tray is small.....gives you something to talk about, but most people don't run their higher power scope on the absolute lowest setting(only time it happens) and even if you do it doesn't effect accuracy or clarity , it just makes the field of view slightly smaller.

Have two and have no problem at all with them. If, and it is a big if, you have an issue their CS is second to none and they will take care of any problem.

With that said NF is good but only you can decide if the cost if worth the benefit

That is the very same scope I have and there is no egg shape issue but if there were a problem I would just send it back to be fixed or they would give me a new one. I'm sure NF would do the same... but would they do it if you bought the scope used? I don't know but the Vortex warranty is transferrable.

Great info... I have heard the CS with vortex is great

I have the FFP and I absolutely love the damn thing. I don't have any eggs in my, though. Mmmmm...eggs...

I have had 2 PST's, the 4-16 and the 6-24. I sold them both and have had my NF for years and would never sell it. I say save up some more dough and get a used NF.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: StanwoodSpartan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have had 2 PST's, the 4-16 and the 6-24. I sold them both and have had my NF for years and would never sell it. I say save up some more dough and get a used NF. </div></div>
Can I ask what made you not like them so much to sell both? I have not had a night force, but I've looked through one and didn't see anything special. So I'm just wondering what it lacks compared to the night forces to justify 500+. Don't get me wrong, if I let myself spend unlimited $$ on my shooting hobby then I would get the best of the best without thinking twice about the diminishing returns after a certain $$ limit, but your last post made it seem like there's worlds of a difference.