• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes Vortex Viper Pst 6-24 EBR Mil/Mil vs Vortex Razor

Motor10

Private
Minuteman
Jun 5, 2011
Central Texas
I am about to buy a new rig in 338 Lapua Mag. Its not a money is no object deal but I am going to spend enough to create a very serious long range weapon.

TRG-42 /Desert Tactical DTA/Predator Custom/GAP/APA. I am leaning toward the Desert Tactical but have not made up my mind yet. Going to order the rifle in the next two weeks. I really love the new Viper Pst or new SS 5-20. Does anyone have any personal experience with the Vortex Razor. Is it worth over twice the money. I know you get what you pay for but sometimes you don't. I have only been able to check out the Razor at the local police supply store and thats no way to attempt to evaluate an optic. This is going to be on a dedicated long range rifle. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Re: Vortex Viper Pst 6-24 EBR Mil/Mil vs Vortex Razor

I had a EBR2 and now have a EBR2B and they make one of the toughest scopes out there. Problem is i like it so much its hard to justify anything else for my other rifles, lol. Also working with scott and shamus at vortex has been AWESOME. I like being able to call and talk to someone i know about a problem IF i have one not send a email to a company overseas or a US division of them and get a customer service rep. USO has a pretty solid reputation here as well but i have no experience with them. If you are buying that expensive of a rifle i highly suggest spend the extra money and get the razor.

Both the scopes are great. They are in different categories. Both very reliable.

I am leaning toward the Razor but all the reviews I have read all seem to only give the Razor a very minor edge in clarity and the fit and finish are the same. I love the Vortex products and have been very impressed with how quickly they have reacted to customers concerns. Thanks for your input BigJoe. Im going to go with the EBR3. For some reason I have an easier time ranging with Mil lines over Mil dots. I was very happy when Vortex came out with the EBR Reticle line.

I just ordered the Razor EBR2B and it should be here early next week I'll let you know what I think. Do the same after you get yours.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DeputyG</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am about to buy a new rig in 338 Lapua Mag. Its not a money is no object deal but I am going to spend enough to create a very serious long range weapon.

TRG-42 /Desert Tactical DTA/Predator Custom/GAP/APA. I am leaning toward the Desert Tactical but have not made up my mind yet. Going to order the rifle in the next two weeks. I really love the new Viper Pst or new SS 5-20. Does anyone have any personal experience with the Vortex Razor. Is it worth over twice the money. I know you get what you pay for but sometimes you don't. I have only been able to check out the Razor at the local police supply store and thats no way to attempt to evaluate an optic. This is going to be on a dedicated long range rifle. Any thoughts would be appreciated. </div></div>

There are coutless reviews on equipment here on this site, many on all the rifles and scopes you mentioned. If you do some looking around you will find all the information you are looking for. People have been using the guns/scope mentioned for years, look at what they think. Starting new threads on subject long since covered is frowned upon. Good luck with your project.

I've had a Razor almost a year now and owned a 6-24 PST FFP mil/mil for about a week. No comparison between the two scopes. The glass was similar. The PST may have even been a little sharper, but there the comparison stops. You can tell they're related by the "fit and finish" but the Razor is built like a Sherman tank and the PST feels almost toylike in comparison. I have zero questions or fears about the longterm reliability of the Razor. The PST left me less comfortable in that area.

The Razor also has almost twice the internal elevation adjustment. I shoot a lot of ELR and knew the PST would limit me at some point so I sold it to pick up a SS 5-20. I'm very anxious to work the SS out side-by-side with the Razor.

The reticle on the Razor is quite thick for precision ELR work, so if you get one, get the EBR2 or EBR2B. You can dial down/left 1 mil and use one of the 'christmas tree' dots as an aiming point. Works very slick.

John

What Rob said, for a 338LM the PST probably will not be sufficient simply due to elevation adjustment. Unless you throw a 45-60moa base on the gun and zero at 300-500 yds you will be lacking on elevation to reach its potential. Sure if you could get the scope to zero at 100 and have NO adjustment below that you could technically reach a mile with the right MV, but thats not recommended.

You could however get away with a 4-16PST if you simply wanted an interim scope to hold you over for now.

I have both, love both, but the PST is on a 18" 308 that I never plan on using past 1k, and the Razor is on a 338LM which I plan to stretch well over a mile.

Oh, and if you go Razor, go 2B! I had the EBR-2 and ended up trading out for the 2B I liked it so much. Very subtle difference, but I like having the subtensions on every line and right next to the vertical crosshair instead of on the outside. The dots are also very slightly larger to aid in using them on lower mags.

I think toughness and elevation would be your deciding factor.

Thanks for the info Jrob300. Thats exactly the info in have been looking for. I spent several hours searching the forms and most of the reviews never gave a very definitive answer. Most people said exactly what you did about the optics. Very similar and that was making the decision even harder. If they are so much alike then why spend twice as much. Thank you for spending the time to post. I have been a military or police marksman for the last 23 years but this will be my first serious build on my own nickel. Its a lot different when your spending your money and not the governments. I have a safe full Remington's and Savage's and they have served me well. Plus this will be my first 338LM. Been shooting 308 and 300WIN Mag a long time. I cant wait to start a new ballistics project.

Jonaddis84, You advised that you like the EBR2B. I was thinking about the EBR3. Do you feel the lower part of the scope is a little cluttered. I would not want to risk missing something important moving or detail of scene because of all the extra etching.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DeputyG</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Jonaddis84, You advised that you like the EBR2B. I was thinking about the EBR3. Do you feel the lower part of the scope is a little cluttered. I would not want to risk missing something important moving or detail of scene because of all the extra etching. </div></div>

Not at all, you barely notice the stuff unless you are looking for it. I personally cant understand why the EBR3 is even offered, the 2 and 2B have everything you need and nothing you dont...cant say the same for the 3. Thats the other slight downfall to the PST is lack of windage holdovers, although for the $ I do love the PST's reticle also.

Im on vacation in Maine till the 28th. I will check into the Razor with the EBR2B as soon as I get back. I spoke with Ethan from Desert Tac and he advised an average of 4-6 weeks for a 338LM in the DTS SRS package.