• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 vs. Night Force SHV 4-14x50mm F1 & Mounts on q Tikka T3x A1 20" .308

layne111

Private
Minuteman
Nov 11, 2019
I finally purchased a Tikka T3x A1 .308. Now, I am looking at these two entry level scopes: The Vortex Viper PST is a Gen 1 (and is priced at $529, reduced from $949) and the Night Force SHV is priced at $1161). They pretty match up on paper (both FFP, illum reticle, size, weight, etc). They do differ in magnification levels (Vortex is 6-24x and NF is 4-14x). I've heard the higher mag levels on the Vortex are really only good for trying to observe what is downrange (how big is the rack) in that area (not for actually driving the rifle). Thoughts on this? Is the same true for the NF at it's higher mag ranges?

I just saw this thoughtful post so here is my ask:

Please consider including the following when asking the SH community what scope we'd recommend for you:

• What is the platform for the scope? (Examples: Rifle (Bolt or Semi-Auto), Pistol (Semi-Auto or Revolver)--:> Tikka T3x A1 20" Bolt .308
  • What cartridge are you shooting? (Examples: 22LR, 223, 308, 338 Lapua, etc.) --> .308
  • What is your intended use for the scope? (Examples: PRS, Benchrest, Hunting, Target, Steel, etc. or any combination thereof) --> Hunting, Target, possibly PRS
  • What type of conditions will you typically shoot in? (Examples: Daylight, Lowlight, Nighttime, etc. or any combination thereof) --> Daylight, and lowlight
  • What are the typical distances you intend to shoot? (Examples: 1000+ yds, 600-1,000 yds, 300-600 yds, 100-300 yds, under 100 yds) -->50-700 yards normally, but want capability to get to 1000 yds.
  • Are there any specific specifications you would like? (Examples: FFP/SFP, 30mm tube, 50mm objective, focus below 50 yds, low turrets, mil or moa, weight, etc.) ---> FFP, 30mm tube
  • What is the price range you can afford? (Examples: Under $500, $500-$1000, $1000-$1500, etc.)--> hoping to keep it around $1K for now.
And then obviously any other input you would like to provide, but having the above information from the get go will help the community understand more specifically your needs and in return you will receive much better answers sooner.

Question 1: Which of these scopes would you choose and why? If you recommend another scope, I'd surely take a look at it.

Thanks & God Bless!

Question 2. Based on answer to Q1 above, what scope mount rings would you choose? I will shoot mostly <700 yds, but some shots will be ~1000 yds so Voertex recommended a 20 MOA cantiliver mount:

"Hi Sir
I would recommend taking a look at the Precision Extended Cantilever, PN# CM-530-20, an exceptional match for this exceptional rifle.

Here is a link: https://vortexoptics.com/precision-extended-cantilever-mount-30-mm-20-moa.html

Should you need anything else - any time - we're always here for you."

T

How married are you to the 30mm requirement? That's keeping you away from some pretty good choices, like a refurb/used Vortex Razor HD Gen2 or Sig Tango6.