• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Vortex Viper PST Gen 2 vs. Athlon Ares ETR

Athlon Ares ETR vs. Vortex Viper PST Gen II

• Athlon Ares ETR

Votes: 22 61.1%
  • Vortex Viper PST Gen II

Votes: 14 38.9%

• Total voters

BigTimeMediocrity

Private
Minuteman
Nov 16, 2020
Canada
Hey guys, I found an old post about this here but it's dated 2018 during the initial release of the ETR.

I mostly range shoot, on my .308, with some hunting as well.

I've read a fair bit about the ETR vs the PST Gen 2, and things really seem to hum and haw back and forth. Some say the glass is better on the ETR, some are the opposite? What seems to be the consensus lately? They seem to be very similar, with the ETR being slightly more expensive, and the Vortex warranty being ever so enticing. I'm looking at both variants in MRAD, with the "christmas tree" style reticles.

I've got the PST Gen II 5x25 w/the EBR-7c ret.. Like it quite a lot. Glass seems clear enough for me, turrets have a "click", to them, tall target test, showed that it tracks as well as I can shoot, returns to zero every time. Only issue, for me anyways, is the thing is long. I have it mounted on a .223 AR, that I use for 600yd. shoots and it has an 18" BBL w/ 13" quad rail handguard, and it damn near reaches the end of the handguard, with the 4" sunshade installed. Looks kinda funky, if looks matter. I think it will serve you well, if you go with the Vortex. Good luck with your choice. Mac:cool:

Reactions: BigTimeMediocrity
i'd rather the new strike eagle 5-25 than either of those options even if i had to pay the $600 for it

The ares ETR is stellar. I prefer it’s glass over the pst gen 2, Burris txt 2, and bushnell hdmr I’ve had experience with. Turrets are solid and repeatable, I’ve taken it out past 1000+ yards multiple times and feel confident taking it on hunts out to 600 yards. It also has more elevation available than I can use. No reason to pick the pst over the ares ETR.

Reactions: Bravo6
Why is that? It's below my price point, and has lesser optical quality than those listed.
locking turrets
34mm
better zero system
10mil more elevation
shorter

optical quality debate idk. i'd say the new strike eagle is on par with every pst gen2 ive looked through. it's been a while since the pst gen 2 was released. new generations sort of jump up a class in features

I have a Gen 1 Ares ETR, a Gen 2 Ares ETR, a Viper PST Gen II with an EBR-2c and 2 Viper PST Gen II with EBR-7c Reticles
The Gen 1 Athlon is their entry to this market segment, getting a feel for the needs of the shooter. It was an "All Right" Scope but not great.
The Gen 2 Athlon is a significant improvement over the Gen 1.
The Ares Turret Stop is better in my opinion than the Vortex, as you can easily adjust it once you have the scope zeroed at the range without changing the adjustments. The single coin slotted screw in the center of the Ares Gen 2 turret caps is more convenient than the 3 small allen set screws on both the Gen 1 Ares and the Vortex scopes. It's less "Stuff" to lose and one less tool to keep up with.
For me, the eyebox on the Vortex is better than the Athlon and the glass seems pretty even from the Gen 2 Ares to the Vortexes to my eye.
The turrets on the Vortex have a slightly better feel to them and have the Fiber Optic Tattletale in the elevation knob, which is a nice touch.
With the Athlons, there is a boxy lump on the magnification ring that helps with adjusting the magnification, with the Vortex, you'll need a lever, or you'll struggle with it once you're in position behind the rifle.

I have a Gen 1 Ares ETR, a Gen 2 Ares ETR, a Viper PST Gen II with an EBR-2c and 2 Viper PST Gen II with EBR-7c Reticles
The Gen 1 Athlon is their entry to this market segment, getting a feel for the needs of the shooter. It was an "All Right" Scope but not great.
The Gen 2 Athlon is a significant improvement over the Gen 1.
The Ares Turret Stop is better in my opinion than the Vortex, as you can easily adjust it once you have the scope zeroed at the range without changing the adjustments. The single coin slotted screw in the center of the Ares Gen 2 turret caps is more convenient than the 3 small allen set screws on both the Gen 1 Ares and the Vortex scopes. It's less "Stuff" to lose and one less tool to keep up with.
For me, the eyebox on the Vortex is better than the Athlon and the glass seems pretty even from the Gen 2 Ares to the Vortexes to my eye.
The turrets on the Vortex have a slightly better feel to them and have the Fiber Optic Tattletale in the elevation knob, which is a nice touch.
With the Athlons, there is a boxy lump on the magnification ring that helps with adjusting the magnification, with the Vortex, you'll need a lever, or you'll struggle with it once you're in position behind the rifle.
That's all really informative. Thank you.

I assume most ETRs that are sold now are Gen 2? I haven't seen and differentiation on sites between the 2 models

I have the ETR and sold my Viper PST II last night. I found the eyebox on the Vortex to be less forgiving. I'd see scope shadow on the sides almost all the time, and there was some noticeable CA at 100yds in lower light on a white target paper when doing load development (I shoot before work in the mornings when it's just getting light).

I had the EBR-2C reticle too. I hated it. If you go with a Viper, definitely get the EBR-7C or something with .2 mil markings and a floating center crosshair.

Some pros and cons to keep in mind:
  • ETR has 34mm tube, so mounts/rings are likely to be more expensive by a factor of $100, unless you're planning to do 30mm ARC/Spuhr/MDT/MPA,etc., your post scope purchase will be higher with the ETR than the Viper.
  • PST has a 50mm objective, and I think that might have been contributing to my hard time with the eyebox. Anyone, feel free to correct me here, but does that affect exit pupil size? Strike Eagle is a 56mm, so might be easier on the eyebox? Again, I might be talking out of my butt, so take that with a tbsp of salt.
  • ETR is made in China. A lot of optics will be good at first, but may have their coatings break down over time if they are not premium optics. I've heard a lot of people comment on how their S&Bs from 20ish years ago being just as good as the day they bought them. I think that's not as commonplace with cheaper optical coatings/application methods. Since the ETR is seemingly one of the first good scopes coming out of China, it's unknown how well their optical quality will hold up over a decade or heavy abuse. Assuming Athlon continues to do well and stays in business, you should be able to make good on their warrantee if that happens? Not really sure. This is just a lot of conjecture, maybe even horse $#!7.
In the end, I'd buy an ETR over the PST any day, until the PST gets ED glass. I sold my PST (and a number of other things) this week and dropped the cash on another ED glass scope with a 56mm objective.

I have the ETR and sold my Viper PST II last night. I found the eyebox on the Vortex to be less forgiving. I'd see scope shadow on the sides almost all the time, and there was some noticeable CA at 100yds in lower light on a white target paper when doing load development (I shoot before work in the mornings when it's just getting light).

I had the EBR-2C reticle too. I hated it. If you go with a Viper, definitely get the EBR-7C or something with .2 mil markings and a floating center crosshair.

Some pros and cons to keep in mind:
  • ETR has 34mm tube, so mounts/rings are likely to be more expensive by a factor of $100, unless you're planning to do 30mm ARC/Spuhr/MDT/MPA,etc., your post scope purchase will be higher with the ETR than the Viper.
  • PST has a 50mm objective, and I think that might have been contributing to my hard time with the eyebox. Anyone, feel free to correct me here, but does that affect exit pupil size? Strike Eagle is a 56mm, so might be easier on the eyebox? Again, I might be talking out of my butt, so take that with a tbsp of salt.
  • ETR is made in China. A lot of optics will be good at first, but may have their coatings break down over time if they are not premium optics. I've heard a lot of people comment on how their S&Bs from 20ish years ago being just as good as the day they bought them. I think that's not as commonplace with cheaper optical coatings/application methods. Since the ETR is seemingly one of the first good scopes coming out of China, it's unknown how well their optical quality will hold up over a decade or heavy abuse. Assuming Athlon continues to do well and stays in business, you should be able to make good on their warrantee if that happens? Not really sure. This is just a lot of conjecture, maybe even horse $#!7.
In the end, I'd buy an ETR over the PST any day, until the PST gets ED glass. I sold my PST (and a number of other things) this week and dropped the cash on another ED glass scope with a 56mm objective.
One of the best replies yet. Thanks! I'm starting to lean towards the ETR. I'm also considering the Tract Toric still, but I'm still hashing out how importing it to Canada will be. I think it might be doable, but I'm also concerned about exporting it back if there's any warranty. Thanks!

Reactions: rothgyr