• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Vortex Viper PST Gen II 3-15 Wind turret stuck

Waltjaevel

Private
Minuteman
Got nothing with thread search so I apologise if this is an old topic.

I'm starting to loose hope in getting the windage turret cap off from the said scope. I've almost detached all the screws entirely and applied considerable force but no go.

Anyone else experiencing same kind of problems?

Contact Vortex, they have an excellent warranty.
I had a new one that failed to hold zero first day out shooting it. They gave me a shipping label, and 2 day Air on a brand new scope.
They will help you with any problems...the best thing about their scopes has been customer service ...so far.

Reactions: Waltjaevel

I'm starting to loose hope in getting the windage turret cap off from the said scope. I've almost detached all the screws entirely and applied considerable force but no go.

Couple things, make sure all three set screws are backed out far enough. It's easy to forget one(We see this often).
The set screws sit in a V groove, so all three need to be backed out far enough to get out of that retaining groove.

If this doesn't help can you try to post sone Pics of your turret?

I look forward to hearing back from you.

V/R
Scott

Mine can get a bit of suction to the windage turret at times - back all the screws well out, then rotate back and forth and pulling lightly. I’ve had them come off with an airtight “pop” sound before - especially if any moisture gets in there. If that doesn’t work, you don’t need to remove the turret cap completely to zero the windage. Just zero the rifle, set turret to zero, and tighten the set screws.

Ah, why do you want to take it off? If I remember correctly, you adjust the windage turret to obtain horizontal zero (it will click at this point in the process), then loosen the screws and rotate the turret until zero aligns with the witness mark (will not click at this point in the process), then tighten the screws (clicking will return).

Am I missing something (often quite likely! lol)

Ah, why do you want to take it off? If I remember correctly, you adjust the windage turret to obtain horizontal zero (it will click at this point in the process), then loosen the screws and rotate the turret until zero aligns with the witness mark (will not click at this point in the process), then tighten the screws (clicking will return).

Am I missing something (often quite likely! lol)
Both turrets on the PST have a "infinite adjustment" set up like the Razor where the turret can spin freely for a perfect zero.

I've never bothered to use this feature though as .1mil clicks get close enough.

Thank you very much for all of your replies. I'll try to provide further information:

- The need is there: If I don't remove the turret but only loosen the set screws: the turret rotates freely only about 0,5 mrad and goes back to the original position once the screws are tightened again.

- Yes, all the three screws are loosened. In fact I have tried it with all three set screws removed all together - no go

Mine can get a bit of suction to the windage turret at times - back all the screws well out, then rotate back and forth and pulling lightly. I’ve had them come off with an airtight “pop” sound before - especially if any moisture gets in there. If that doesn’t work, you don’t need to remove the turret cap completely to zero the windage. Just zero the rifle, set turret to zero, and tighten the set screws.
I tried this today,

I get audible clicks on the turret after about 0,5mrad of free movement but I rotated it back and forth and pulled it at the same time (even amount of clicks on both direction, I don't want to mess up my zero too bad)

I am able to pull the cap up couple of millimeters but that's about it.

I faced this problem early on, but didn't want to use force on the turret and break it in the range. Zero was off 0,2 mrad so I just loaded it to the turret and went on with it (I use reticle on wind anyways and the turret tracks when I add the necessary clicks to counter spin drift). But I have to admit that it bugs me off now that I have the time to think about it :D

Vortex has an amazing CS and I'm in no way trying to bash a decent manufacturer. I haven't contacted them yet on the matter, because I always try to fix it first myself. I'm familiar with this individual scope and it's fairly problem free otherwise so I might not want it to get replaced If you get what I mean?

I tried this today,

I get audible clicks on the turret after about 0,5mrad of free movement but I rotated it back and forth and pulled it at the same time (even amount of clicks on both direction, I don't want to mess up my zero too bad)

I am able to pull the cap up couple of millimeters but that's about it.

I faced this problem early on, but didn't want to use force on the turret and break it in the range. Zero was off 0,2 mrad so I just loaded it to the turret and went on with it (I use reticle on wind anyways and the turret tracks when I add the necessary clicks to counter spin drift). But I have to admit that it bugs me off now that I have the time to think about it :D

Vortex has an amazing CS and I'm in no way trying to bash a decent manufacturer. I haven't contacted them yet on the matter, because I always try to fix it first myself. I'm familiar with this individual scope and it's fairly problem free otherwise so I might not want it to get replaced If you get what I mean?
That’s is definitely not behavior as designed and is malfunctioning.

Whether you want to give Vortex the opportunity to fix or replace it is your decision, of course.

When the cap pulled away slightly, was it oily underneath? Sounds like the turret cap is suctioned on with some oil.

When the cap pulled away slightly, was it oily underneath? Sounds like the turret cap is suctioned on with some oil.
No oil visible there.

On a positive note - I was able to get the turret cap off using some tools.

DSC_1263.JPGDSC_1262.JPG

That thing is buggered all to hell. How tight did you torque those screws?!
+1 that is the only thing I don't like about that design (on any scope). I like that you can always get things lined up, but some folks get a bit ape fisted, which is likely where the problem arose, that displaced metal has to go somewhere, it displaced into the easiest spot, the groove.
I always fear that I'm tightening too much.