• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Vortex Viper PST

uncledog57

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 19, 2011
Morro Bay, Ca
Well to make a long story short? I bought a new PST off a fellow hide member. I mounted it and could not get a zero at 25 yards. Tried every trick I knew! So with great disappointment I called Vortex. Told them bought the scope.... Julie replied "no problem they are guaranteed send it in we will replace it or fix it no charge and we will pay the shipping back". To me this is a rock solid company! I need two other scopes..guess what I'm buying???

Re: Vortex Viper PST

you mean there wasn't enough elevation to get a zero at 25 yards?

Did it not have enough down correction or it was just scattered? They could have just installed the zero stop and your problem may be that you need to remove the zero stop shims.

Good luck,
Merritt

Sent mine back too, had some small specks of dust or something on the lens. It was on its way back to me 2 days after they recieved it.

I sucks to send shit back when it's broke, but it's great to deal with a top-notch company like Vortex..

rrflyer I had it just about cranked all the way. No matter what correction i did? it would just change poi. My target ended up looking like a shotgun pattern.

mwroseberry no I had the zero stops in hand. I think it must have taken a beaten in shipment?

10Truck you hit it right on the head! It sucks to send it back, but I had read so much about their customer service that I knew it was going to be okay. That is a great feeling! I will easily do business with again and again!

I'm just gonna throw this out there...

25 yards is pretty dang close...especially if you have a 20moa base.

It may have been perfectly fine you were just trying to zero the rifle to close. Why a 25 yard zero?

For the $ value the PST are hard to beat. They offer a great RET that is illuminated, nice positive turrets, 30mm tube with a lot of travel, 0-Stop, and nice clear glass.

We just got a few in stock.

Mike @ CST

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rrflyer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm just gonna throw this out there...

25 yards is pretty dang close...especially if you have a 20moa base.

It may have been perfectly fine you were just trying to zero the rifle to close. Why a 25 yard zero? </div></div>

It takes a lot less time and ammunition if you shoot your scoped rifle at 25 yards to get your windage and elevation on paper. If you have the point of impact hit about 1" below your aiming point and your windage centered @ 25 yards, you will be on a 8" X 11" sheet of paper @ 100 yards.

Typically, I can get a precision rifle to hit a 1"paster @100 yards within 3-4 rounds.

If you try at 100 yards to get a bore sighted rifle zeroed, you can waste a lot of ammunition if the rifle misses the paper.

When you zero @ 25 yards, you just have to remember; to move a 1/4 min. turret scope 1" @25 yards, it will take 16 clicks or 4 MOA. Once you get it figured out, it's pretty fast.

Another method is to fire one shot at a small dot or paster. You keep the rifle completely still (firmly sand bagged and not move the rifle, this is very important). Keeping the center of the reticle centered on the aiming point, you turn the turrets and move the reticle from the paster to where the bullet struck. Done properly, you can be zeroed in one shot.

The last rifle I zeroed like this had a 30 MOA base on it. It zeroed up fine using the 25 yard method. Had it hitting a 1" paster @100 yards on the 3rd shot.

I just bore sight...shoot twice. Make corrections on scope...shoot twice.... then start hitting steel.

To the OP,
I will check this scope when it gets here, but I can almost guarantee that the problem is going to be in the mounting system or the gun it self as 99.99999% of the time the scope is not the problem. Anything is possible though.

Scott

Just picked up my first Viper PST today at the gunshow,2.5x10x44. This is now the best piece of glass I own. I have two 6x20 VX3s with upgraded M1 adjustment knobs, & the PST just outclasses them. Almost went for the HS, but the extra adjustment range & zero stop on the PST pushed me over the edge. I got on the phone to tell my buds, then the dealer decided to knock $50.00 off, & I couldn't get my plastic out fast enough. Still don't know why he did that. A very knowledgeable & eloquent communicator he was. I spent 30 mins checkin out the pros & cons of each, & I think he was just tired of lookin at my mug & had to get me outta there. This piece of gear will likely ride on a Rock barreled AR10. I cant wait to start putting the EBR-1 reticle to work. I'M TOTALLY STOKED!

Desert Deputy -

Had the same question before I bought mine. Finally decided on the mrad. For ranging, I figured I could divide up the graduations easier than on the MOA. Splitting 2 MOA into eighths is harder than splitting into 10ths for me. My brain just doesn't handle it.
smile.gif

Compare the reticles and see which works best for you.

Thats why I want the 2.5-10 as well. Even with the 2nd focal place where the math is done using the highest power (or percentages thereof), I figure using .1, .2, .3 makes the most sense on a base10 system.

Update: Scott from Vortex sent me a PM and had me call him. He had a problem trying to recreate my problem in the office? He could not abuse it hard enough. So he is taking it to the range for some abuse.
I am so impressed with their customer service! He trolls the board looking for "Vortex" product line and responds to the OP.
This is above and beyond great service!!!!

Well, Uncle Dog,

Gotta say that I'm loving my 6-24X FFP Mil/Mil so far. Thing tracks beautifully. It is what it says it is.

I've got my dope out to 900 meters. Now I just need a nice, quiet day during the week when the deer hunters aren't in camp so that I can go back, take a random range, dial it in and shoot.

The proof is in the punchin . . .

I have the MOA. Its all I've ever used, so I'm not really into learning a new, albeit simpler, system at this time.

MattK,

Doesn't matter as long as ya can do it.

Like they say down here, "If ya kin do it, it ain't braggin'".

Vortex is definitely good to go. I had dust in the reticle of my scope, gave them a call, and they sent me a shipping label to have it sent back to them. They didnt care that it was kryloned or anything, and it's already on its way back to me.

Definitely top notch people to deal with.

That's the kind of customer service that keeps customers happy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CSTACTICAL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For the $ value the PST are hard to beat. They offer a great RET that is illuminated, nice positive turrets, 30mm tube with a lot of travel, 0-Stop, and nice clear glass.

We just got a few in stock.

Mike @ CST </div></div>

what he said,i recomended one to a new shooter buddy of mine. i know hes gonna love it. he just ordered it.when i show him how that reticle works hes gonna be happy feller, he almost got 2nd focal,but luckily he called

Grand Slam!! Brian from Vortex called and they are replacing the PST at no charge.
How can you beat this? I bought it on our SH so it was used to me, and they gave me a brand new one FREE!
I need a red dot for a hand gun and a scope for the 10/22, When I'm done everything I own with optics will adorn Vortex!!!

Wow .... that is absolutely fantastic service. Nice Job Vortex! Have you compared the glass in this PST to others in the same performance range - SS, etc?

Yes compared it to several other optics here at the range. For me and what I was looking for in a scope Vortex PST fit the bill. I really like the reticule and the positive clicks on the dials. I must say clarity is also fantastic at 400 yards I can see the dimples in the target no problem!