• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Vortex Viper vs Crossfire

SSC

Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
I am looking at a new scope for my 308. I have a nightfore that i use when I am really going to do a bunch of shooting but most of the time it sits on my 7mmSTW. I would like a scope that I can use for 600-700 yards and not always have to switch my NF back and forth.

I have heard good things about the ($399)Viper <span style="font-weight: bold">not the PST</span> and decent things about the ($99 or $199)Crossfire. I don't want to buy to crap so that is why I am wondering about the Crossfire.

I am sure this has been discussed before but I couldn't find it.

Thanks for you help.

Re: Vortex Viper vs Crossfire

If you can afford the Viper, it's a no brainer. If not, then get the Crossfire to shoot until you can upgrade.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you can afford the Viper, it's a no brainer. If not, then get the Crossfire to shoot until you can upgrade. </div></div>
1+

That is what i figured but I have read on here that people say the cross fire is the best sub 300 scope so I figured maybe i should give it a try

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rb85cj7</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That is what i figured but I have read on here that people say the cross fire is the best sub 300 scope so I figured maybe i should give it a try</div></div>

At $100 it's a great value, but the Viper is a much better scope.

I am in a similar boat, looking for a cheaper optic for a gun that i typically only shoot to 800 or so yds

i have a pst on order for it, but grew tired of waiting so funds went out for a viper today

i will tell you what i think about it in a few days

ive had or have all types of leupolds, nikons, nsx and a schmdit

i think for the money it cant be beat plus with the customer service i am seeing from vortex i am not worried one bit about the purchase

i would definately get the viper over the crossfire

Yeah I've settled on the Viper myself. I figure I'm not gonna spend the $150 for one, only then to spend the $499 on the Viper anyway. This way I'm saving $150....at least that's what I keep telling myself anyway hahaha

I've had the Viper 6.5-20, $399.99 scope out twice now and am very pleased. It is 95% of what my Leupold 6.5-20 VIII is at 40% of the price. Both are 30mm with side focus and life time warranty. Excelent value.

What exactly makes the Viper a "better" scope than the Crossfire? I know what can affect scope quality - glass clarity, ruggedness/build quality, ability to hold zero, tracking, etc - but how does the Viper stack up against the Crossfire specifically? Or is it literally just heads above the Crossfire in every category?

im considering a crossfire for my budget ar (loaner rifle for buddies to use when they visit) its shooting under 400m. Is it worth it?