• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Vortex Viper vs. Leupold Er/t

m1ajunkie

Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 22, 2010
Kennewick, WA
I am in the middle of a .300WM project with the ultimate goal of occasionally making a 1 mile shot. The final plans are for the rifle to run the premier 5-25, but my budget is not that large for the time being. For now I am looking for a capable scope to use on the rifle to shoot in the 800yd-1500yd range and maybe try the mile shot if I have enough elevation. I am using a USO 20moa base to help get a little extra elevation.

Now, for the time being I need to find a scope to run in the meantime. I am considering the vortex viper pst 6-24 ffp mil/mil or the leupold mk4 er/t 6.5-20 ffp.

Any reason I should not go with the vortex for almost half the price of the leupold? I am currently using a 4-16x ffp vortex and really like it, are the 6-24's the same quality optic?

Let me know what you think,
Thanks

Re: Vortex Viper vs. Leupold Er/t

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: m1ajunkie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am currently using a 4-16x ffp vortex and really like it, are the 6-24's the same quality optic?
</div></div>

According to most reviews the FFP 6-24 has better image quality. Good luck finding one in stock though they seem to sell out at the speed of light.

Dont know much about the Vortex but I'm in the process of trying to find a way to get my hands on the Mark 4 8.5-25x50mm ER/T M5 Front Focal optic. I have a trijicon acog im wanting to sell to get money to put towards it but i dont have enough post to put it in the for sale forum
frown.gif
But what I have learned in the gun world is that the more you pay, typically, the better you receive. For me Im really interested in a Front Focal optic. But ill look into the Vortex and maybe come back and tell you what i think.

I have a Vortex Viper 4-16x50 PST FFP on my 308. Ive always like precision rifles and just got started in competing. Id had a 308 remmy with a Leupold Mark 2 mildot with 1/4 moa adjustments. Just sold that setup and have a Vortex scope on another 308 now. Now keep in mind Im still just getting started seriously in all of this but heres my opinion. First off having matched reticle and turrets is a MUST for me now I will Never own another mismatched reticle/turret combo. The FFP is very nice allowing accurate ranging and holdovers at any magnification. I used the reticle on my viper to make a hit at my first competition at 702 yards which was the furthest shot Ive made. Glass on the Vipers is good no its not a PH or S&B but personally for the money I wouldnt trade my Vortex for a Leupy. That new FFP Leupold has seems pretty nice havent looked through one but I know someone thats using one. To me it just seems like Leupoolds other stuff is kinda overpriced like the MK4 line and alot of their scopes have mix matched reticles and turrets. Sorry for long winded post but thats my $.02 I really think youd be quite happy with the Viper but look through both if you can and compare features. Ultimately its up to you everyone has a different opinion and different people like different scopes.

Just went and looked at the vortex. They seem pretty good but i'm not a big fan of illuminated reticles. I have a cheap $150 Osprey Scope right now that has illuminated reticule and ive literally never used it. I do like how the vortex has a zero stop, thats pretty hard to find on the optic you want. And the only downside that i find with leupold is that its hard to find a mil/mil or moa/moa that is what you want. Like the model leupold i want has a mil reticle but moa adjustments. So just weigh what you like about each and DO YOUR RESEARCH that way you will be satisfied.

I am most certainly getting a matched mil scope. I am really leaning vortex at this point due to good experience with past products and a lot of features at their price.

I'm just wanting to make sure I'm not missing something that makes the leupold worth $500+ more.

I've had both, and the PST gets my vote...definitely. Their customer service is better, you get more features than the Mark 4, it's cheaper, and they track perfectly. I loved my PST regardless of the price, and I disliked the two Leupold ER/T's basically because I got less for more...much more.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I've had both, and the PST gets my vote...definitely. Their customer service is better, you get more features than the Mark 4, it's cheaper, and they track perfectly. I loved my PST regardless of the price, and I disliked the two Leupold ER/T's basically because I got less for more...much more. </div></div>

There you go take it from him seeing as he's owned both. I knew I wasnt crazy for thinking the Leupold was overpriced. Seriously though the Viper PST's are great scopes.

I will say the Leupolds do feel like they are built like tanks, but their turrets are mushy, and their price isn't justified in my opinion. The PST's are lighter, their turrets are very positive, an the price is almost unbeatable. This is all just my opinion through experience though, and some people feel otherwise. That's just the nature of a "who's better" debate.